VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm reaching out to all of you to see what you think about the 501 cams.

I have a 2014 CCT with about 20k, Victory performance exhaust, Dynojet / autotuner, and a Victory performance air cleaner.

My next upgrade is the cams. i don't want to go crazy so from my research, I hear about the 501 and 505 cams the most. I currently have an appointment to have the 501s installed this weekend and would appreciate any information/advice from people who have gone through the same upgrade. I've seen the charts posted here and am really looking forward to that performance improvement.

Thanks in advance, Henry.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Hey all, I'm reaching out to all of you to see what you think about the 501 cams.

I have a 2014 CCT with about 20k, Victory performance exhaust, Dynojet / autotuner, and a Victory performance air cleaner.

My next upgrade is the cams. i don't want to go crazy so from my research, I hear about the 501 and 505 cams the most. I currently have an appointment to have the 501s installed this weekend and would appreciate any information/advice from people who have gone through the same upgrade. I've seen the charts posted here and am really looking forward to that performance improvement.

Thanks in advance, Henry.
The 501's are the best all-around cam for the XC, you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Depends on what you want. One is the street grind, while the other is the Touring cam. One will give you better low end, the other top end. But you need to pair them with the right exhaust as well. The system as a whole needs to be planned out to get the most out of the upgrades. Also, the 505 is for steel framed bikes. You will want the 501 or 504. 504 is the touring cam, but require the cam carriers to be modified. The 501's are drop in.
Lloyd'z Performance Victory Cams - LLOYD'Z Motorworkz

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I suppose it depends on what kind of riding you do and what you are looking to get out of them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how to put this another way......I WANT TO ACCELERATE FAST . I know it sounds sophomoric and I don't ride like a kid. I really just want it when I need it.

I ride often being from AZ. Mostly to work where I just have to avoid the cagers but I really enjoy hitting the roads out here. I can't imagine living up North and having my moto sit for months.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't know how to put this another way......I WANT TO ACCELERATE FAST . I know it sounds sophomoric and I don't ride like a kid. I really just want it when I need it.

I ride often being from AZ. Mostly to work where I just have to avoid the cagers but I really enjoy hitting the roads out here. I can't imagine living up North and having my moto sit for months.
The 501s will work well if all you are looking for is acceleration. Again, look at the system as a whole. DO NOT OVERLOOK EXHAUST and intake. What you "gain" with cams can easily be lost with the wrong exhaust. And if you don't allow it to breath better, you won't gain anything, so a highflow filter is a must.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks tree.... when I was talking to the mechanic I think they were trying to sell me more stuff. I told them I had the tri-oval exhauset, the dynojet autotuner, and the victory performance intake filter. I was wondering about the LLoydz timing wheel. I figured, I could install it afterwards if I need to.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I'd swap the Vic air filter for the Lloydz. Also, if adding the timing wheel, make sure you don't have any timing added in your tune already. The PCV adds timing above 2500 rpm, and if you add timing with the timing wheel, it will add to that timing. Make sense? lol. Basically, if you add 4 degrees of timing with the wheel, and 4 degrees of timing with the tuner, you will be at +4 below 2500, and +8 above 2500 rpm. That is too much timing and can cause bad things to happen.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
If you want acceleration then you definitely want both the timing wheel and Lloyd's filter to go with those cams.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think about how the programmer would probably need to be reset if I add the timing wheel. Good call! Are you saying that I don't need both. From talking with others, one is mechanical where the programmers are adjusting the software. I'm thinking the programming should cover it but, I also thought the Pipes would add enough HP :)

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts

Read my signature, my Cross Country has a ton of power everywhere.

I think my cams are now the 501's.

Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I didn't think about how the programmer would probably need to be reset if I add the timing wheel. Good call! Are you saying that I don't need both. From talking with others, one is mechanical where the programmers are adjusting the software. I'm thinking the programming should cover it but, I also thought the Pipes would add enough HP :)
If you have a Maximus you don't need the adjustable timing wheel. BUT, the PCV, again, can only adjust timing above 2500 rpm. To adjust timing below that ranfr, you need the adjustable timing wheel. If you have the timing wheel, you still need the programer for fuel adjustment but don't have to touch the timing settings in the tune.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
The 501's are a perfect match to the Tri-Ovals. You want to add the Lloydz filter, put that Vic filter in the garbage. With the PCV tuner you also want a timing gear set at +4. A Dyno tune will get it all working together. You will pull much harder all the way thru the PowerBand. Passing on 2 lanes is like warp-drive from 3-5k pulls very hard, they keep pulling nicely all the way past 6k unlike the stock cams that give up at 5k.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
What shop are you going to? @vindex1963 just had his done at a local. He can IM you about it.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
HOH-505 cams for a heavy bike. Best average power from 2500 to 4500 rpm (where you will usually be) and they only give up a couple HP at the very top end to the 501s. Coupled with the Lloydz air filter, ATS (timing gear), and the UD Pulley you will be quite happy.

"HOH-505: Easily outperforming any other low-mid range aftermarket cam profile available for Victory Freedom motors,we're proud to offer our newest cam profile, the Lloyd'z Signature Cams! The LSC cams are a direct replacement drop-in cam profile and require no valve spring or head modifications, typically offering 16-18 additional peak HP."

Lloyd'z: XC/XR High-Flow Air Filter - LLOYD'Z Motorworkz

Lloyd'z Adjustable Timing Gear - LLOYD'Z Motorworkz

Underdrive Pully for 06 up Narrow Tire Bikes

And you may want to beef up the clutch a bit...

Barnett Billet Clutch Plate - LLOYD'Z Motorworkz

Lloyd'z Primary Support Plate - LLOYD'Z Motorworkz

·
Registered
3,318 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am very happy with the LSC cams. Im making the most power in the rev range I spend the most time in 2800-4200 rpms. I dont like cruising below 2800 rpms unless Im in 1st or 2nd gear.

Reactions: crosscountryla

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Im making the most power in the rev range I spend the most time
This statement hits the nail on the head! When you are choosing cams, you need to be honest with yourself. What RPM range do you want the power to be? Do you keep your RPMs low? Do you shift to the next gear at 3000 RPM most of the time? If so, you will want a cam that moves the power band lower in the RPM range. You may even be happier without cams.

Do you bounce off the rev limiter all the time and keep the RPMs above 3000 for a good portion of your riding? HPT cams might be your best option.

If you keep it in the mid range RPMs, the LSC might be your best option.

Save yourself some money and do it all at once and dyno tune it. Don't add the timing wheel later and have to pay for a second tune afterwards.

If you are running the PCV, you will want the timing wheel also to pick up some timing in the lower (below 2500RPM) range. You will need to reduce the timing from the PCV above 2500 RPMs if it was already dyno tuned, to compensate for the added timing the wheel gives it throughout the rev range.

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
What shop are you going to? @vindex1963 just had his done at a local. He can IM you about it.
For the cam install or the tune?
I installed the cams myself and unfortunately the guy that tuned my bike is out of business.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.