VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI... I just ordered mine today. From Lloyds website:

Lloyds IAC Valve

We listened to all the complaints of backfiring and twitchy throttle feel on tip in and decided to do something about it. All 08-10 bikes are non-serviceable when it comes to making adjustments. This component will fit all 08-10 Victory Motorcycles and will give you the ability to adjust your Idle Air at the turn of a screw. The I.A.C. (Idle Air Controller) on your bikes opens as the throttle is applied making a larger intake leak then needed to support idle air. Our new Valve will allow you to fine tune this for your bike.
What we've seen over the past year in developing this is that all bikes require a slightly different adjustment depending on the pipes, intakes and fueling requirements of that specific motor. The unit can be used on all Victory's from stock to modified in the 08-10 model years. The combined use with a Lloyd'z fuel controller is recommended for complete tuning of the fuel curve.
We've seen:
  • Reduced or eliminated Backfiring
  • Smoother transition on the tip-in throttle feel
  • More Throttle response
  • Improves the Lean Stall condition
  • Allows Idle Air Adjustability
  • Easy to install and use
  • Specifically Designed for 08 Victory with Closed loop systems
Instructions:

Parts included in kit, 1 IAV with short hose attached, 1 length of 7/16 hose, 2 lengths of 5/16 hose
Tools needed for Installation
5mm Allen Wrench, Med. Screwdriver, needle nose pliers, light lubricate like WD-40
Ø First remove the right side cheese wedge cover
Ø Using a screwdriver Push the rubber hoses off the I.A.C. they are grouped in 3 hoses
Ø Disconnect the harness plug on top of the I.A.C. then remove a qty of 4 5mm allen bolts that hold the IAC motor and bracket to the engine
Ø Remove the rubber hose asm. Off the plastic lines with the use of the pliers, be careful not to break the plastic lines
Ø While holding the I.A.C. lubricate the large nipple of the I.A.C. with the adjustment knob in the downward position, push the I.A.V. and short hose on to the center (larger) steel nipple of the I.A.C. until the hose is full seated and covering the entire nipple. Then install the 7/16 (larger) hose on the I.A.V. Lubricate will also be needed here but use is sparingly.
Ø Install the 2, 5/16 hoses on the outer steel nipples of the I.A.C. no lubricant is needed
Ø The completed asm is ready to be reinstalled. On some bikes the plastic hose orientation may require you to cut a ½ inch off the longer 7/16 rubber hose for proper fitment.
Ø Lightly spray your lubricant on the end of the plastic lines, then Using the needle nose pliers carefully grab the plastic hoses and install them into the 3 rubber hoses making sure they are inserted at least ¾-1 inch
Ø Reinstall the 4 bolts, harness plug and cover
The basic adjustment of the IAV starts as follows,
· Screw the knob out a couple turns, while the bike is cold start it up and let it idle.
· After 45-60 seconds turn the knob in to the point so the idle just starts to drop, turn it out slightly to regain the highest idle
· The idle RPM should be no less then1000 rpm's at this point
· If your using a fuel controller it may be necessary to adjust the fuel slightly leaner to achieve the correct idle fuel.
· Sometimes adjusting both fuel and air together can give better results
· If the next cold start doesn't idle properly a readjustment maybe necessary as a result of the motor being to warm on the first attempt.
The operation of the I.A.V. is to cut down the over abundance of airflow to the cylinders while the throttle is in any position except closed. When you rotate the throttle, the I.A.C. opens creating a larger "intake leak" which results in leaner conditions that cause backfiring and poor throttle response. Just the installation of this unit alone may not cure all symptoms. Repairing ALL exhaust leaks and having a proper state of tune will yield better results. Certain Exhaust systems such as Victory Shotgun and Swept will cause more than normal backfiring.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I went on Lloyd's web site & read about the several days ago. I've read so much about the "backfiring" - this looks good!!!

Let us know how well it works - if it resolves the Popping problem!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
ZZedmonds said:
FYI... I just ordered mine today. From Lloyds website:

Lloyds IAC Valve

Certain Exhaust systems such as Victory Shotgun and Swept will cause more than normal backfiring.

[/quote]

What is " normal " backfiring ?
The majority of us with the " backfiring " issues have these two exhausts systems.
I hope this fix's our problem, but the way I read this, we ( with the above pipes ) may not get rid of this issue as easy as people with slip-ons or two-into-one.
If it works, i'll order mine ASAP !
Keep us posted, thanks, spider.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Inventive ideas always seem to come from the smaller companies. Seems like it will eliminate allot of threads if it work properly...lol
Thanks ZZ for bringing it to our attention.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i'm hoping most of the reports I've read about 2010 Cross bikes not having the same issue due to some better mapping.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Inventive ideas always seem to come from the smaller companies. Seems like it will eliminate allot of threads if it work properly...lol
Thanks ZZ for bringing it to our attention.
Seeing as Papa Vic does not give a crap if our bikes backfire like crazy, but will gladly sell us an " aftermarket " exhaust, I am rooting for the little guy in helping out where Vic say's " screw off" !
I so need to get out for a ride !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Has anyone tried this yet? I guess I'm lucky so far. Just put the drag pipes on and haven't had any popping yet...I do take it easy on her though! Too old for all that rev,rev, go, go --> I haven't ridden much as the weather keeps me at home staring out the window...heck it's even too cold for dirt bike riding....sigh

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Can't hurt???? I dunno, call Lloyd???...i'm dying for a report on it. I don't ride really hard and don't have many pops but i am curious to see what the scoop on the pop is...

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would wait and have them all installed together since it is so close.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ddawg said:
ZZ - have you received & tried it yet???? This sounds very promising!
I have not tried it yet. I have been riding 6 days a week and waiting for a rainy day to do the install. I'll post up when I have a report.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Damn! No job, ridin for 6 days straight, you slingin dope ZZ ? That sugar mama you find gota sister ? You aint prospect for the 1% are ya !
Ha,Ha, enjoy that nice ride and give us the update when you can......

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
onerider said:
Damn! No job, ridin for 6 days straight, you slingin dope ZZ ? That sugar mama you find gota sister ? You aint prospect for the 1% are ya !
Ha,Ha, enjoy that nice ride and give us the update when you can......
I rode 6 days out of 7 last week too! Life's a *****!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
ZZedmonds said:
ddawg said:
ZZ - have you received & tried it yet???? This sounds very promising!
I have not tried it yet. I have been riding 6 days a week and waiting for a rainy day to do the install. I'll post up when I have a report.
Bueno!! Good for you. Keep us working stiffs posted brutha!

·
Registered
145 Posts
2010-02-11
Greetings, I was able to install the IAC today. The only difficult part was getting the 3 hoses disconnected from the plastic tubing. Good thing I have owned my Vision for only 3 and a half months. If the tubing was old and hardened it would have been an even bigger pain in the rear. Following are several pictures that I took while installing the IAC.

This is what the IAV (Idle Air Valve) looks like after the cheese wedge has been removed.

I removed the IAV from the bracket. I think it made wrestling with the hose connections somewhat easier.

Finally the connector tubing removed from the IAV and the plastic tubing. Notice how the connector tubes are joined together side-by-side. I think this feature made it even more of a challenge to remove

·
Registered
145 Posts
IAC Installation Continued...

Here is the view with the new IAC installed. You cannot really see the IAC, but the 3 separate hoses are visible. Real easy to install.

A close-up of the installed IAC. You can see the top of the IAC connected to the larger middle hose

Here is the adjustment screw looking up at the bottom of the IAV bracket. Easy enough to get a flat blade screw driver on it

·
Registered
145 Posts
Last Part of IAC Installation

Tuning was pretty easy. Reminded me of the old carburetor days. Just follow the directions provided by Lloydz by tightening the idle screw all the way down. Then open it about 2 turns. Start the engine then turn it out until it stays idling at a higher RPM. You may need to tighten the screw a half a turn because you went past the point where the idle RPM would not change.

I have not been able to get on the road because of the San Antonio's constant rain/drizzle plus temperatures in the mid 40's. Which is much better weather then our nation's capital. For now the bottom line is that sitting at idle with multiple throttle positions the popping is still there. Compared to previous garage revving sessions, which my neighbors love, the overall popping has diminished by about 40%. It does rev much quicker from a closed throttle. I like that. The popping is not as consistent and more interspersed through different closed to open throttle movements. When whacking the grip from idle to WFO (Wide Freakin Open) the popping occurs less but with a more significant pop. Similar to small arms fire from a 9mm handgun. But without the hot brass casings ejecting. From closed to about half open throttle yields the most positive and consistent results of significantly diminished popping and the tach leaping to 3000+ rpm. That's about it for my unscientific observations from revving my Vision at a standstill in the garage. I suspect on the road with the motor under a load, the results will be different than prior to installation of the IAC.

You can bet once things dry out this weekend I'll be back here with some more feedback. I'm also having my Vision worked over by Kevinx at a cam party on 2/20 in Houston. So that will be another perspective. There's more coming in about a couple weeks when my cored out mufflers return from bobvic. I just had to have those gatling tips.
That's it for now…

Ride Safe
Tim

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.