VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have that loud lifter noise that you hear constantly at any speed.Engine sounds like a bucket of bolts. It sure makes the bike sound cheap

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
As has been mentioned in other posts loud engine noise is standard on a Vic. To you it might sound cheap but to the rest of us it sounds like quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a 2006 King Pin and yes I have that same lifter noise as well. Drives me nuts!
As you know the engine has hydraulic lifters so I don't understand why they are so noisy and you are right it make it sound like something is wrong. I was thinking of up-grading to the Cross Country but I'm not so sure now that I know this noise is still as issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

vstar
I sold my favorite bike the vstar 1100 for thr crossroads. What I just did was to change my oil and put in amsoil 10-40 full synthetic oil tonight. After about 10 nmiles of riding the lifters did quiet down "some" but I am going to give the oil more time to lubricate the motor and tranny. The Victory oil just seem to degrade after the engine was ridden for a while and the lifter were so annoying. I will try to post a follow up in the coming week or so but I am heading out to Sturgis and I don't want to sound like a bucket of bolts coming down the road. LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loud engine noise doesn't seem like quality to me. My Yamaha was tight and so is my Honda VTX 1800. I had quite a few bikes and I am ready to sell this one because of the "designed noise"

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also own a Kawasaki Nomad, 1600 cc with hydraulic lifters. If you want to hear loud lifters, just get within a few feet of it, it sounds like it is down 2 qts. of oil. I tried several different brands and weights of oil and it never changes the noise. It has 9K miles on it so I guess it's ok.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Everything is a trade off. I would rather have the performance of a 4-valve OHC motor with hydraulic lifter than the pushrod engines with massive rockers. I don't mind the noise. Every engine design sounds different, but many rides have paradigms as to how a V-twin is to sound.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

Is it really lifter noise? My lifters are nice and quiet but the primary/clutch rattles. Pull in the clutch and put the bike in gear and it's gone. As soon as it's in neutral and Ilet the clutch out 'clack-a-lacka-lacka'. Sometimes at certain cruising speeds I get a little primary rattle, just for a second...When it's idling on the sidestand my friend asks "Does that thing have oil in it?".
I don't want to ride an appliance, I want a motorcycle. This ain't no Goldwing. My bike has some felt vibration thru the pegs and bars.It has some mechanical noises comingfrom the engine room.The transmission is a bit notchy too.However, when I am on a twisty road enjoying the excellent chassis and suspension... or when I ride other bikes and notice how weaktheir brakes are... or when it's carrying the front wheel 6" off the ground AND laying a black ribbon on the asphalt AT THE SAME TIME in 2nd gear... I forget all about the little annoyances.
If we'll call it "character" does that help?

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

THEWASP said:
Loud engine noise doesn't seem like quality to me. My Yamaha was tight and so is my Honda VTX 1800. I had quite a few bikes and I am ready to sell this one because of the "designed noise"
You know, water jackets around an engine quiet it down a lot...
A friend of mine rented a Vision for a week when he was in Vegas. He was in the market for a touring bike and he's really tall. He bought the Harley Ultra. He said the Vision engine was too noisy.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
THEWASP said:
You know, water jackets around an engine quiet it down a lot...
A friend of mine rented a Vision for a week when he was in Vegas. He was in the market for a touring bike and he's really tall. He bought the Harley Ultra. He said the Vision engine was too noisy.
My friend just bought a new Ultra Classic as well. I handed him is ass all day long yesterday, in the city and on the freeway. You tell me which engine is better :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
All bikes have mechanical clatter and different character. I had a honda 750/4 super sport which was like riding a sewing machine. I just like the V twins after sampling goldwing and rocket 3 I still like V twins. If you wear moulded earplugs most of the clatter is cut out and the deep V twin throb is left. i tried the new 103 C.I. Ultra and could not get past the vibrations it put out.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

bikendad said:
My friend just bought a new Ultra Classic as well. I handed him is ass all day long yesterday, in the city and on the freeway. You tell me which engine is better :)
Yes, but people will say that beyond a certain point, performance is not important.
If the cost was the same and everything else about the bike was the same,but you had the choiceof70 HP or90 HP, how many would actually opt for the 70 HP version?
It's like the old "size doesn't matter".If the woman is given a choice between 4 inches and 7... I seriously doubt she'll optfor the 4 incher.
People willsay size/performance isn't important, but if given the choice they'll take the larger/more powerful version every time. Only someone who is new/inexperienced would be interested in less... and they too will work their way up to more some day...
Usually, the bigger/better is more expensive and people can't afford to upgrade... but the Victory is $1000 cheaper than the comparable bike from the other American company. When the better performing model is actually less costly, the decision is sort of a no-brainer.
"Since the motor makes mechanical noises, I prefer to pay more money fora smaller engine, smaller saddlebags, less room and comfort for me and my passenger, and I want to pay extra for the cruise control too, rather than have it come standard"
Can't argue with that logic....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wish the Victory bashing wasp could show me the lifters in a overhead cam engine. I also had a v-star 1100 had to adjust the valves almost every oil change and the bike wasn't all that quiet either.

·
Registered
423 Posts
THEWASP said:
Does anyone else have that loud lifter noise that you hear constantly at any speed.Engine sounds like a bucket of bolts. It sure makes the bike sound cheap
I'm surprised you didn't hear the noise when you took a test ride. If it is such a problem now, I would think that it would have occurred to you on the test ride. I don't have a problem with the fact that Victory isn't for everyone, but you should have decided that on the test ride and kept your old bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Chas_K said:
Are you sure this noise is the lifters and not the fuel injectors? My Vegas does it too and I think it's injectors.
Hey look I'm quoting myself..

I have to retract the previous statement. Today as I was riding along it occurred to me that if I shut the engine off while going down the road there would be no power to the injectors and if the noise was still there it isn't them. Well 60 MPH & no one behind me, I shut off the switch, tapping sound still there, turn on switch all is the same. Return to 60 MPH, no one behind me, turn off key, noise still there, turn key on all is the same. So there goes my noisy injector theory.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi From the UK.
My vegas is up to 25000 miles now and yes it's a bit noisy. The answer was a Davida (British made I'm afraid) skid lid. Worked a treat and I can now do away with the ear plugs. Initially drove me mad and seemed to be worse on some days rather than others, but the engine is still strong and reliable so I guess there's nothing to worry about. I will try different oil at the next service.
Cheers.
Craig

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
well the 106 on my Cross is probably the noisiest Victory engine I've had to date. The Vision is quieter because of the additional bodywork muffles it a bit.

It may not sound the prettiest but every V twin style motor I've ever ridden has had some noises so I consider it normal.

Kind of funny though, people complaining about 'noisy engines' are the same people that go home rip apart the factory exhaust because 'loud pipes save lives'.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.