VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 magnum,with tri ovals, and stage one which is what the dealer said when I bought it 6 months ago. I can start up the bike and let it run a good 20 minutes or so until it's good and hot, I can barely hold my hand on left side but right side is ice old. If I ride it a few the right finally gets hot, anyone else notice this ? Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
2015 magnum,with tri ovals, and stage one which is what the dealer said when I bought it 6 months ago. I can start up the bike and let it run a good 20 minutes or so until it's good and hot, I can barely hold my hand on left side but right side is ice old. If I ride it a few the right finally gets hot, anyone else notice this ? Thanks
I have noticed it as well. I am sure it has something to do with the way the collector feeds in to the left side. I don't think there is anything to worry about since both heads are the about the same temp. Maybe someone MUCH wiser than me will chime in on it

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
first off you don't need to let it warm up for 20 minutes. 3 tp 4 minutes is fine. Sit on bike and feel the rear cylinder heat up. When the head is warm to touch ride.
Yes that way the exhaust is designed. Vics have great header pipes

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Crossover pipe, the exhaust at idle will go out the easiest path, and one pipe may suck in cold air so that pipe feels colder because it's like a vacuum (cold goes to hot, hot to cold) until you rev it up... Can test with a piece of paper or smoke....

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I was going to comment about the tune , etc. However after reading your post, why in the world do you need to let the bike warm up for 20 minutes was my first thought ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always ,every winter started my bikes once a week and have heard if your going to start it in the cold to at least let it get good and hot before shutting it off. Put 16k on a katana, 52k on a Suzuki volusia, 63k on an 11 kingpin, and 7k on my magnum, so far. I have never had a problem, just thought it was odd with the magnum but good to get feedback. I would love to go with the straight true duels thru witch doctors to get rid cats so she can breath, but their like $900

·
Registered
770 Posts
Go to the Vic shop and let them out a Maximise tuner on and Dyno tune it. He'll put some cams and a Lloydz air filter too. Even if you don't do cams , the Lloydz air filter and the tuner will change your bike in a good way.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I've always ,every winter started my bikes once a week and have heard if your going to start it in the cold to at least let it get good and hot before shutting it off. Put 16k on a katana, 52k on a Suzuki volusia, 63k on an 11 kingpin, and 7k on my magnum, so far. I have never had a problem, just thought it was odd with the magnum but good to get feedback. I would love to go with the straight true duels thru witch doctors to get rid cats so she can breath, but their like $900
The true duel should sound good. You don't like your tri-ovals ? Also the tune and dyno may help with the engine heat issue.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
It is strange how the left pipe, the one with the cross over under the bike always seems to have more back pressure than the one on the right which I imagine should be the opposite as the least line of resistance rule..... Normal as far as I can tell, at least it has always been the case with my '14 xct. With stock pipes and with the Tri-Ovals....

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
There's no heat issue, it's an engineering issue, the crossover pipe was made for a reason, there's some performance pluses, and there's some quieting down pluses, kill that crossover pipe, it will become louder, and may lose a little power.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
It's designed that way on purpose.
After a few minutes warmup I take it easy to let everything else warm up for a couple miles.
20 min is just too long for a warm up even if it's 20 degrees out. 5-10 is more than enough unless you intend to beat on it from the get go.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Check it out. Custom Motorcycle Parts | Vinemont | Bad Ace Billet Thermal Image Left side much hotter. I have one but not sure how it will help with the tri ovals yet or what.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have Vance and Hines pipes, VM1 cams, intake and Maximus tuner by 801 Motorworx and my exhaust still does the same thing. It is due to exhaust design. If you take the rear pipes, you'll see the catalytic converter on the right side AFTER the crossover pipe so I think that lends to a little of this phenomonon. I could be wrong - I have been once before.

Once you get the RPM up, the exhaust flow changes to a 50/50 ish flow.

If you take that catalytic converters out, you'll lose back pressure and lose horsepower and performance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.