Led signal conversion | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Led signal conversion

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by Diamond Dave, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Jackpot
    Swapped out rear & front LED signals from a 2007 Jackpot onto my 13 Jackpot.
    After some challenge with front right polarity swapped on 2007 sorted out, they all work, but fast flash (installed equalizer) but flash slow with bike running & flash fast with bike not running, can’t find a lick of info on this symptom. Has something to do with voltage & load while running, but weird

2. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Do you have an LED relay in the headlight bucket? On my 04 I bought but didn't need an equalizer. Just swapped the polarity as you mentioned and also changed the relay.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

2013 Jackpot
    No relay in bucket, just the 2-harnesses coming out of the wiring bundle, whats throwing my off is the fast flash when engine off & regular flash with engine running.
    Must be a 14vdc vs 12vdc impedance difference interpreted by the Module

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Well to be honest my electrical skills are somewhat limited to knowing not to stick my tongue in a light socket :)

I had similar issues and my nephew told me to swap out the relay and the problem went away.

Good luck with it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

2013 Jackpot
    Might just pull out load equalizer & measure oem incandescent lamps impedance... then compare to LED impedance & use resistors to match up values (make bike see same load as before)

6. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Sounds like a plan. LED resistance drops when the forward saturation current is met (when lit) to near 0. I believe the incandescent are something like 10ohm.

7. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

2013 Jackpot
    I got 1.5 ohm on my oem incandescent, the LEDs I can read any impedance(regardless of scale). Figure it’s a 1-way diode, so won’t be able to read, nonetheless if I plug in a oem front light the flashing is normal, so definitely a resistance/load discrepancy. The equalizer seems to not completely correct (engine running they’re fine which I don’t get). But bugs me engine off & fast flash (with equalizer)

8. PDXLaserGazer

When I converted the Gunner to all LEDs, I had a similar issue. When the bike was not running, the lights all flashed properly. When the bike was running they'd turn on and stay on without flashing at all.

In the end, I converted the rear to run/turn/brake utilizing a trailer isolator module I picked up from O'Reilly's and hand soldered individual diodes and resistors on the front LEDs and swapped the original flasher module back in, if memory serves.

9. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

2013 Jackpot
    Do you remember what value resistors you used at front? Funny the inconsistencies with bike-to-bike & different LED’s
    Still the bike running or not differences are dumbfounding, Especially mine flashing normal when running & fast when off. Been working on vehicle electronics for 20yrs & this has kept me up at night lol

10. PDXLaserGazer

Has something to do with the canbus system and the voltage differences when the engine is rotating and the charging system is doing its thing. I believe I used 220-ohm originally but I'll have to double check, in my mind I ended up dropping it from 220 to 110 but also in my mind I'm dating a supermodel and won the lottery... twice. Anyway, my little journey is in a thread at the bottom of this page in the Similar Threads section. I was looking for photos of the connections in the headlight bucket, but might have to move it out of storage to do that.