VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am joining the Son's of the American Legion - Legion Riders, in the little town of Shickley NE - where I moved to three years ago.
So, I need to buy a leather vest - as all the riders were them. I have come up with a few names on the web: Fox Creek Leather, Li'l Joe's, and Legendary.
I am leaning towards either Fox Creek, or Li'l Joe's.
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, regarding a USA made quality vest? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I like the vests with the lacing on the sides, you can adjust if you gain weight and they let some more air thru in the summer when it's hot, I also wear vest extenders in the front in the summer for air flow.

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I've never understood the vest. Sure it offers a little protection but I guess I'm just not a vest guy.

I understand needing one for the group I suppose.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I've never understood the vest. Sure it offers a little protection but I guess I'm just not a vest guy.

it's a great place to put your phone, wallet, other accessories when you don't have a full dress.

And a place to hang your patches.

Reactions: OllieTwist

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts

I never needed one until I put lowers on my Vision. All the air kept blowing my shirt up in my face and was exposing my gun.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Buffalo Leather is the best. Get one without sleeves. Make sure it matches the assless chaps.

• Haha
Reactions: primethious

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! A lot of input, thanks. I'm not a vest person either, but that's what these legion guy's wear. Maybe they watch too many episodes of Son's of Anarchy? No assless chaps here! Not a chaps guy either.
I see Fox Creek makes a good looking jacket. I'm thinking of going that route. If they don't like it, too bad. I already have a textile jacket, which I have had for years - a Tourmaster. Just thought I would look out of place wearing that.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Been wearing a fox creek jacket for several winters and i really like it.

As for a vest to hang patches, i prefer denim. Looks good and it's not so damned hot if you are walking around off the bike or wearing it over a mesh jacket in summer.

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Wow! A lot of input, thanks. I'm not a vest person either, but that's what these legion guy's wear. Maybe they watch too many episodes of Son's of Anarchy? No assless chaps here! Not a chaps guy either.
I see Fox Creek makes a good looking jacket. I'm thinking of going that route. If they don't like it, too bad. I already have a textile jacket, which I have had for years - a Tourmaster. Just thought I would look out of place wearing that.
But if you get a jacket you'll be hating the hot months. A vest can easily be worn alone, over a hoody, or over a jacket for all seasons use.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
But if you get a jacket you'll be hating the hot months. A vest can easily be worn alone, over a hoody, or over a jacket for all seasons use.
Exactly. Jackets are a much better choice to provide protection\ and warmth. Vests are just for holding patches so why waste money on leather that is going to be hot as **** in the summer? Let the Sons of Anarchy wannabes try looking kewl in their leather bondage gear while you wear a denim vest over a textile jacket or a t-shirt as appropriate.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Vests have their place. I am a Vietnam Veteran and a member of Rolling Thunder Indiana Chapter 6.
When we have an event like a veterans funeral, or community event like the candle light ceremony at the four Freedoms Monument in Evansville or doing traffic control for the YMCA marathon run we all wear our vests so people recognize us. Rolling Thunder is NOT a motorcycle club.
I am continually amazed at the people that come up to me and thank RT for all we do. We are very well known for community service in this part of the state.

I have worn my vest over my textile jacket and leather jacket many times.

rolling-thunder

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Exactly. Jackets are a much better choice to provide protection\ and warmth. Vests are just for holding patches so why waste money on leather that is going to be hot as **** in the summer? Let the Sons of Anarchy wannabes try looking kewl in their leather bondage gear while you wear a denim vest over a textile jacket or a t-shirt as appropriate.
But I live in Texas. I fear my nice Victory Attitude leather jacket will never get broke in with what we call winter. I only get to wear it a couple weeks each year.

I have a textile Victory vest coming Friday. I hope it will be cooler while still being a good concealment garment during the warmer months.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.