VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the local dealer last week. He tells me that when a stage 1 exhaust is added that the stock mapping will run a little RICHER than the stage 1 software. Has anyone else heard this? If this is true, it may be an advantage to leave in the stock mapping. Any ideas?

·
Registered
609 Posts

Storm56 said:
Was at the local dealer last week. He tells me that when a stage 1 exhaust is added that the stock mapping will run a little RICHER than the stage 1 software. Has anyone else heard this? If this is true, it may be an advantage to leave in the stock mapping. Any ideas?
I may get corrected on this, but I've always found my bikes all required richer jetting with a pipe swap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With carbs this is true. The explanation the dealer provided is that with the stage 1 pipes breathing better, the computer over compensates, thus the somewhat richer mixture. he went on to state that the stage 1 program keeps the bike within emission specs. Only going by what he said, I am trying to get more information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear so many complaints about backfires and popping with the Victory Stage 1 pipes. These are associated with a lean running engine. I am just asking if this is a simple solution. I have purchased a stage 1 system but have not yet installed it. I purchased the system from a dealer that was going out of business at quite a substantial discount. I can do the install myself, but of course must go to a dealer for the update. The other option is a programmable tuner. I am trying to get enough info to make a decision on which way to go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Storm56 said:
I hear so many complaints about backfires and popping with the Victory Stage 1 pipes. These are associated with a lean running engine. I am just asking if this is a simple solution. I have purchased a stage 1 system but have not yet installed it. I purchased the system from a dealer that was going out of business at quite a substantial discount. I can do the install myself, but of course must go to a dealer for the update. The other option is a programmable tuner. I am trying to get enough info to make a decision on which way to go.
Follow Highway Star's advice: CALL LLOYD'S!!!!!!!! or email him.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Appreciate the replies, still no one has answered my original question which was about stock maps with a stage 1. Does anyone have any information as to if it would run rich or lean?
I am leaning towards taking the bike to a tuner with a dyno and having them set it up with a tuner. It is my understanding that the stock map needs to be in for this.
The map I got with the pipes will not fit my model, so if I am going to spend $$ for a program upgrade I might as well put the money towards a custom setup are my thoughts.
Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
11,750 Posts
Hmmm, I believe your closed loop system does not get mapped. The o2 sensor tells the brain about the change in the system and the bike will re-map itself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

satxron said:
Hmmm, I believe your closed loop system does not get mapped. The o2 sensor tells the brain about the change in the system and the bike will re-map itself.
Hello Satxron - So perhaps no need for an update? If so, any idea whystage 1's for a 2008 come withan update? Thanks - this is the kind of feedback I am looking for.

·
Registered
11,750 Posts
I am sorry I can't answer that. Is is probable the pipes fit prior models so an update would be needed? I think you can put those pipes and breather right on and fire it up.

I could and may be very wrong on this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The bike has stage 1 slip ons, K&N filter, and the stage 1 airbox now. I do not believe the computer was updated, at least the prior owner did not have it done according to him, and the bike works pretty nice. A very occasional small backfire but by no means bad. Plugs are tan to light brown in color so it is not too lean. Gas mileage in the low to mid 40's, again no need for concern. And it does not surge. I also installed an oil temp sensor and it runs from about 180-220, again seems pretty normal.
Of course I do not know yet how it is going to work with the system I am getting ready to put on. That is why I am looking for info. But you could very well be right, it may be just fine with the program as is.

·
Registered
11,750 Posts
If they are not straight pipes I think you will be ok. Only one way to find out :)

Advice is so easy when its not your money lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Storm56 said:
The bike has stage 1 slip ons, K&N filter, and the stage 1 airbox now. I do not believe the computer was updated, at least the prior owner did not have it done according to him, and the bike works pretty nice. A very occasional small backfire but by no means bad. Plugs are tan to light brown in color so it is not too lean. Gas mileage in the low to mid 40's, again no need for concern. And it does not surge. I also installed an oil temp sensor and it runs from about 180-220, again seems pretty normal.
Of course I do not know yet how it is going to work with the system I am getting ready to put on. That is why I am looking for info. But you could very well be right, it may be just fine with the program as is.
If the prevous owner had the stage 1 kit installed at the dealer, then it must have been remapped. the stage 1 kits come with a remap card as part of the kit. I had mine done at the dealer, and a remap was installed. The 08-09 so far, and I guess this would apply to older models too. There is only enough fuel at wide open throttle for the stage 1 setup. In between it would run way too lean, causing drivability issues, so I'm guessing yourbike was remapped.
The best setup so far that I've readup on for 08's and up is to get the pipes, and the S&S intake with a S&S map card. You'll still get some popping but so far it's the best setup. My plans next riding season is to get the S&S intake with the remap. The problems with Victory's maps is that they have to conform with EPA regulations, and S&S maps don't because they aren't sold as street legal, but for off road use only, yet they offer better results.

·
Registered
11,750 Posts

I think he is fine. Meaning should not spend any money if its running well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Highway_Star said:
If the prevous owner had the stage 1 kit installed at the dealer, then it must have been remapped. the stage 1 kits come with a remap card as part of the kit. I had mine done at the dealer, and a remap was installed. The 08-09 so far, and I guess this would apply to older models too. There is only enough fuel at wide open throttle for the stage 1 setup. In between it would run way too lean, causing drivability issues, so I'm guessing yourbike was remapped.
The best setup so far that I've readup on for 08's and up is to get the pipes, and the S&S intake with a S&S map card. You'll still get some popping but so far it's the best setup. My plans next riding season is to get the S&S intake with the remap. The problems with Victory's maps is that they have to conform with EPA regulations, and S&S maps don't because they aren't sold as street legal, but for off road use only, yet they offer better results.
[/quote]
Checked with previous owner, dealer did not do the stage 1 slip on pipes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.