VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you subscribed to the Victory website should have gotten an email today with this image on it.

LINK

It's a "shootout" between the Hammer and the V-Rod VRSCF.

This does not past the stink test!

NEVER in the entire sketch did they do a direct, one on one comparison of performance, handling or price. The ONLY thing they tout is the higher torque, higher displacement and a marginally lower price if you compare the 8-ball version.

Now I think the Hammer is a great bike, I may own one some day but I have owned 2 V-Rods and I can tell you right here and now nothing they insinuate in this video holds water.

Sure the V-Rod has less torque and less displacement but it makes 1.56 HP/CI vs. the Hammer's 1.02 and will do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds vs. Victory's claim of 4.3 seconds for the Hammer.

It's handling is on par with the Hammer though the Hammer does have a better rear suspension.

It's frame is completely hydroformed and by itself is a work of art. The motorcycle itself has won numerous motorcycle, design and art awards world wide.

The Revolution motor, co developed by Porsche, has been proven to be a 100,000+ package by hundreds if not thousands of real world riders along with being one of the best V-Twin packages ever put in a cruiser motorcycle.

Too bad Victory feels the need to resort to this type of deceptive marketing.......

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Picking on the V-Rod is not something I would recommend. It's like they kept bullying the entire classroom until they got to the the kid who knew Tae-kwon-do.

I will say this, it would be nice to see an "independent group" do a real world comparison between the 2......afterall, the boys in Minnesota don't exactly get paid to be impartial.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Being the proud owner of a Hammer I hate to agree with you but I do. This is what all of the new videos on this years Victory CD look like. They make you think you are going to see them side by side on the track but you never do. Very disappointed with it......the videos not my bike.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry, but in head to head comparison the Hammer ain't no V-Rod.

Most Vics beat their H.D. competitors with aplomb!! This is not one where Victory wins.

The V-Rod is a modern motorcycle built around modern technology. The only place where the Hammer wins is in looks, torque, and displacement.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I tried to watch the video but all the quickly flashing images just annoy me and I never get the whole thing watched. It's the same way with all of their videos. And the narrators voice reminds me of the narrators voice in the youtube video Harley commercial not an exact match but close enough for me.

Maybe Vic & HD should be on Pinks with this one :)

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I guess they think they can get away with it because HD really won't spend any money fighting the lie. After all, how many hammers do they build a year? 1,000? maybe.

With recession the motor company has bigger fish to fry.

It is embarrassing that Victory would make up a story. Having ridden both. The hammer does not crank up like a V-rod. It will beat up a Rocker C though. Good idea above. The Rocker and Hammer are a very good match-up.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

satxron said:
I guess they think they can get away with it because HD really won't spend any money fighting the lie. After all, how many hammers do they build a year? 1,000? maybe.
Maybe Victory read the article that the marketing company dropped HD and HD is not replacing them so they figure its a free shot?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't get me wrong guys, after riding V-Rods for 7 years I got off a demo of the Hammer and had I not wanted to get a touring bike I would have a Hammer in the garage, it's a great bike.

I love the analogy of a Tae-kwon-do kid vs. the bully. That pretty much nails it!

A bike doesn't have to better in any particular area to be desirable and the Hammer is a very desirable bike, just as the V-Rod is.

It's a shame Victory feels they need to pick a fight to sell their product. In this example they brought a knife to a gun fight......

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
As An Owner of a Vic and a real world compeditor , I know much of what Polaris writes is so , so full of poop that its embarrasing. This is a final moment that puts shame on all of us Vic owners!
I can skip past the embelished talk of how the vic Blows hd I can except the giggles and pointed slures .
We all know the truth!!!
I Drive a pin , an 09 pin and have been in love with it most of its 12000klms.
Also much so that I have bragged and booststed to all my friends about them.
Im not an idiot I raceded motercycles in my youth and have layed down some tires on occassion a time or two at the track.
This is totally embarrasing and now after I just dropped 16000 on a new Vegas with my wife , I;m not sure I should have ! Perhaps I should cancel the check .
Polaris suck me !!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The first time I rode a VRod I was underwhelmed. To me, it did not live up to the hype. I had ridden sport bikes in the past so maybe I had an unfair reference point. A few years later I rode a Screaming Eagle VRod and OMG, SWEET! Really liked the bike but not the $23k (used) price tag. The curve stock pipes on the VRod are just beautiful and the gauges are well done. My two cents :)

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
This is one thing I Like about the VOG and being a Victory owner: Name any other core motorcycle forum board dedicated to one Manufacturer and see if they could be this blunt about their brand.

If we were on the H-D forum comparing the the Road King to the Roadliner, or on the Kawasaki board comparing the Voyager to the Vision do you honestly think we would get this much blunt commentary?........not a chance in hell.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
That is why VOG is a very special place on the web. Outstanding observation! We are very lucky Andy has this forum available to us.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Thanks...But remember, this is YOUR place. And "calling 'em as we see 'em," good or bad, is what this place is all about.

It's my job to keep things up and running in the background. And, attempt to keep the spammers away!

·
Registered
36 Posts

"It's frame is completely hydroformed and by itself is a work of art. The motorcycle itself has won numerous motorcycle, design and art awards world wide.

The Revolution motor, co developed by Porsche, has been proven to be a 100,000+ package by hundreds if not thousands of real world riders along with being one of the best V-Twin packages ever put in a cruiser motorcycle."
As my hardcore HD riding friends say "That ain't a REAL Harley" :):)

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

mjw930 said:
Oh, the Jackpot is the natural competitor to the Rocker C, not the Hammer.
Funny you say that, I never really looked at either because I am not into the fat tire stuff unless it is a custom. I was up at Andy's the other day looking an other then the paint and seat what the heck is the difference? The Hammer definetely has a nicer looking seat with the cowl covering the rear....

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

In stock form, the V-Rod will spankthe Hammer in a drag race. However, on a V-Rod nothing exciting happens until 5000 RPM. They have no torque on the bottom end.
Personally, I am a torque junkie. I much prefer the way the Hammer makes power, looks, feels, and rides. If I wanted an oversquare, high reving, water cooled V-TwinI'd buy a SuzukiSV 1000 or something along those lines.
Going to the drag strip on occasion, I get to see what happens in the real world, not the stuff you readin magazines. The magazines say the V-Rod runs 11.88 or something like that... sure it does with a 140 lb professional drag racer on it who is abusing the crap out of the clutch. In the real world, the best I have seen the V-Rods run is 12.teens. The only one I ever saw go in the 11shad nitrous on it.
So in reality, the V-Rod is barely 1/2 second quicker through the 1/4 mile than the Hammer. Remember thata dayof normal riding is a whole lot different than a drag race. What about 5th gear roll-ons from 60 MPH? The guy on the V-Rod would really need to keep his RPM up or the Hammer would be pulling away constantly. Who wants to ride around at 5000+ RPM all the time?
Arather exaggeratedanalogy:
I rode with a brand new, bone stock, GSXR 600. On a drag strip (if the guy did a REALLY good job riding it) that bike would beat mine by 3/4 of a second or so, but he only has an advantage from10,500-13,000 rpm.On the road, he has to run the piss out of it to stay with me, and I'm keeping the tach between 2000 and 4000. In fact,by 2500 RPM I am already making well overTWICE the torque he will make at peak.The Gixxer was really quiet. There were a couple of times when we were accelerating hardhe let-offthe throttle (I can't hear that!) and I almost ran into the back of him.
I agree that the V-Rod is a bad comparison to a Hammer. The Fat Boy is a bad comparison to the Kingpin too. You really can't compare apples for apples between HD and Victory until you get to the Street Glidevs Cross Country or the Road King vs the Cross Roads. I think the tourers compare quite well... or maybe not if you work at Harley.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.