Kyle Crandall's Chieftain with 121 engine Andrew 570 cams ,but still needs more tuning | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Kyle Crandall's Chieftain with 121 engine Andrew 570 cams ,but still needs more tuning

Discussion in 'Indian Chieftain' started by crosscountryla, Jan 20, 2017.

1. busaman04

busaman04 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    victory cross roads
    @mobear66 the lloyds hpt cams gives up a little lbs of tq in the lower rpm range. theres a big dip in the dyno graph with them. not to mention having to clearance the head. dont think you have to do that with kyles cams & no dip in the graph either

2. mobear66

mobear66 Well-Known Member

Victory XC FCP
    @busaman04 that maybe but I will take my 119.5/115 all day. Timing wheel takes care of the low end. Clearancing the head is not accurate only the cam carriers are clearanced to allow the cams to slip in the carrier.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I've never met Kyle but I have watched the threads about him with interest over the years. I sure am impressed by what he's done and continues to do. He seems to be very innovative and is always finding things unique to him and his company to help coax a little more reliable power from these motorcycles.

He's another one I hope to meet someday just to shake his hand and thank him to his face.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. busaman04

busaman04 Member

victory cross roads
    @mobear66i shouldnt have never been talked into getting these drop in cams. i was told that the heads needed modifying. just goes to show what you dont know WILL hurt you

5. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour
    That is not true. If you install the Lloyd's drop in cams you don't need head work. Modifying the heads works much better when you enlarge the bore size and increase the compression. I haven't read a post on this forum of guys that installed the drop in cams needing to get head work too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. busaman04

busaman04 Member

victory cross roads
    i have the drop in cam needing NO head work. but i was told if i got the hpt cams the head needed clearence & mobear said only the cam carries need to be clearenced.Had i none that i would have got the hpt cams. i got bamboozled

7. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour
    I assume that the HPT cams have more lift and this is why you either need the cam carriers modified for more clearance or use the Lloyd's billet cam carriers that accept his HPT cams and need no cam clearance. I was told by Kevin at Southern Motor Werks that unless you wind the rpm's past 4,000 rpm's a lot when you ride you'd be better off buying the Lloyd's drop in cams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mobear66

Victory XC FCP
    The only reason for clearencing is to get them in the cam carriers that is it. IMO Its got all needed in the lower gears and has a nice reponse in the higher gears no down shift needed. I ride around a lot in the 3k range in traffic and when i yank on it i have to hold on. Like most things its all about preference and your style.

9. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    Please get your sh!t straight before you go shooting it around.
    Someone tells a guy "to do the HPT cams you have the clearance the cam carriers" and the guy hears "THAT REQUIRES HEADWORK".

To do HEADWORK you would have to take the heads OFF. To get the heads off you would have to take the engine OUT OF THE BIKE.

The first step is to understand what a cam carrier is. It would also be a good idea to understand what it means to do headwork and how that is very different than clearancing a part.

Someone like KMC will clearance a bunch of cam carriers and take them on the road with them. If you get HPT cams installed they simply trade carriers with you. Later, they will clearance all the take-off carriers (yours) and replenish their supply of pre-clearanced carriers. They still charge you for the labor of clearancing the carriers, but it's already done to save time.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mobear66

Victory XC FCP
    @Half_Crazy Those steel frame models can really pack stupid power!! Are you close to 200hp? There is a cat out here in Vegas that is like 197ish on a hammer.

11. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    No, not me.... Peter has 200+ on his supercharged Hammer.

I'm content to live in this neighborhood.
    New Adaptor Dyno.jpg

12. mobear66

Victory XC FCP
    I bet that's fun!!!! As for Peters I will pass that's just scary in a recliner. lol

13. BamBam0099

BamBam0099 New Member

2014 Indian Chieftain
    There's a reason why Indian is flourishing and Victory is going the way of the dinosaur...

14. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Bam bam. This is a 2 yr old thread. Victory is a legend. Created and never imitated.
    It’s not our fault........ Those who seek to stand on their own and stray from the crowd that PolarASS made the decision they did because they can’t market worth a crap.
    Flourishing ....... Indian is not. Surviving ? More like it for now. If Indian were to take a stance and copy a Victory more than a Harley then I for one as many here would find a way to forgive but not forget.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Brand recognition and the sheep is the only reason. Us Victory owners are looking for a better reason...

• Winner Winner x 2