VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So doing some fit up testing for Upcoming Indian Arm Release, ran into a "Vic Cross Roads" type Indian rider, a Springfield. He Claimed Vics were being made in Kings Mtn, NC. Did Victory ever make bikes out of NC? Far as I know, they set it up, but the then owners never fired up the production before Polaris stole the new Vic Engine and put it on the Challenger in 2017/18. Dam who knows what Victory could be now, the Cross Country could have had t motor now!
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Kings Mountain was the home of the Indian brand before Polaris bought the rights to the name. That location was never used for Polaris Victory in any way I ever heard of.

Indian was resurrected by a company in Gilroy, CA that made ‘Indian’ bikes from H-D clone sources like the J&P Cycles book. There was nothing special about those bikes and the Gilroy company quickly went out of businesss.

Indian was again resurrected by a venture capitalist company based out of Kings Mountain, NC. They also made pretend ‘Indian’ bikes that at least had a higher build quatilty than the Gilroy bikes. Though they were also mostly H-D clone bikes. Essentially an Evo motor with round cylinders and a much higher price point. These bikes were also rejected by the market as being expensive H-D copies with the Indian name on the tank.

Then Polaris bought the rights to the Indian name brand.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Kings Mountain was the home of the Indian brand before Polaris bought the rights to the name. That location was never used for Polaris Victory in any way I ever heard of.

Indian was resurrected by a company in Gilroy, CA that made ‘Indian’ bikes from H-D clone sources like the J&P Cycles book. There was nothing special about those bikes and the Gilroy company quickly went out of businesss.

Indian was again resurrected by a venture capitalist company based out of Kings Mountain, NC. They also made pretend ‘Indian’ bikes that at least had a higher build quatilty than the Gilroy bikes. Though they were also mostly H-D clone bikes. Essentially an Evo motor with round cylinders and a much higher price point. These bikes were also rejected by the market as being expensive H-D copies with the Indian name on the tank.

+1 (using that for agree now).

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Way back in 2004, Bruce Reeves, who was the editor of Cycle Canada motorcycle magazine back then, wrote an editorial about the failed Gilroy Indians. The company was started by business people, not motorcycle lovers. Its was simply to make money and likely build their egos. The models suffered, and at the time of shutdown, some 14 recall notices existed. They needed an influx of million$ and were on the verge of gaining a silent partner but at the last moment, the guy backed out and the factory failed in Sept 2003. Reeves was a fan of the bike. Basically, it was an expensive POS.

This is not the article I refer too but it's interesting nontheless.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
^^^ I didn’t know how that all went down so thanks everyone for the education

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Sorry folks. I meant to write that Reeves WASN'T a fan of the bike.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Indian was again resurrected by a venture capitalist company based out of Kings Mountain, NC.
That's not quite true, Stellican the company that had a go at reviving the Indian brand was based in London & was trying to work the same plan they used to revive the Chris Craft line that they had purchased earlier & had some success with.
If I was ever to buy an Indian it's going to be one made in Springfield, MA

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Are you saying they weren't based out of Kings Mountain, NC? I was their, and they were.

I'll go along with Vulture Capitalist if Venture Capitalist is your sticking point. Anyway, they knew little about the business except how to make that pig look real pretty. But underneath the paint and the chrome, the Kings Mountain bikes were more or less an H-D clone bike with the Indian script on the tank.

·
Vendor
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · · Business
So Gilroy in Ca and Stellican for Kings Mtn making Harleys look like Indians, finally Polaris buys up the rights in 2003 and dropped Vic's in 2017. I met a Vic designer in Shelby, NC as we were researching a Chrome shop out there. Wish I could recall his name, but he had Vic parts from Ceiling to Floor. Bruce maybe? Chrome shop, well that was a story in itself. Didn't go well for my start up back then in 2020.
But seems Polaris / Indian with people like Lloydz pumping up the brand, should be good for a while.
Still wish they'd of not dropped Victory tho.

·
Vendor
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · · Business
+1 (using that for agree now).
Mark, do you mind if I re-post this on my Company's Facebook site? We'll be launching Arm Rests for the Indian baggers and this is good ****!

·
Registered
37 Posts

Sounds a lot like the 2022 lineup!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The more I hear and learn about Polaris Indian the less I care about them. There wasn't a lot to lose in the first place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts