VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am seriously looking at the R3T, which i love the style. I have not had a chance to ride one yet. I am looking for a bike to ride up the coast, as well as on the highway and something that i might go on a 4-6 hour ride on occasionally. I dont want to go as big as agoldwingor the victory vision so i have narrowed it down to the R3T and the Victory Kingpin.

Any advice....comments or complaints.

Thanks

darren

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
ummm, the safe way would be to pssst. send you a PM but I will stay out in the open.

I have logged a lot of miles on Rockets. It is very simply a superior bike to the KP> Center of gravity is about the same, turning radius is better, much more powerful, the transmission is like butter, drive shaft is smooth, liquid cooled so will run forever. Vibration free and very nimble at low speed. Its as tame as you want but twist its tail you better hold on!

You could tow a KP behind the R3 and it would not feel it back there. Very, very powerful bike.

Like the KP as a tourer it leaves you wanting as it does not have stereo, MP3 player, GPS etc. A pretty minimalist touring bike. Oh, its bags are bigger than the KP I think but does it have a tailbag? I forget.

IMHO for function its not even a competition.

Looks and cool factor, the KP wins every time again in IMHO>

Reactions: crosscountryla

·
Registered
457 Posts

As I mentioned previously: the simple fact of blackening out the engine did wonders to the overall appeal of the Rocket. It used to have a monotone aluminium like color, which made it look like a car or tractor somehow. Now with the black engine it's pretty sweet.
I don't like that chromey bit on the left side of the tank. If someone could make that black too...
But indeed, it's a most desirable motorcycle, like nothing else on the road. That engine could do well in a big car, so go figure. Also, shaft drive and liquid cooling: reliable!
Huge bike though...

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Itlooks bigger then it is, but it is the same weight as the Pin with 650cc more motor. You can get a fuel guage as an option, that is a big plus for me on a touring bike. The factory warranty is a year longer on the rocket unless Vic extends the 5 year program. Liquid cooled is a plus on those long hot rides. The rocket gives up one gear. Seat height is lower on the pin. HID lights are available on the pin, no factory option for the rocket but it might be available aftermarket. Factory tac on the rocket.
Not riding either I cant say which is better but the rocket certainly stands out from the rest. But looking at both as true touring vehicles I would chose the Rocket for it's 10,000 mile service intervals. Dealer support in your area would be something I would check on. Also the Rocket is about $ 2,000.00 less.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

drdarren said:
Hi all, I am seriously looking at the R3T, which i love the style. I have not had a chance to ride one yet. I am looking for a bike to ride up the coast, as well as on the highway and something that i might go on a 4-6 hour ride on occasionally. I dont want to go as big as agoldwingor the victory vision so i have narrowed it down to the R3T and the Victory Kingpin.

Any advice....comments or complaints.

Thanks

darren
Test ride both !
I do not think these two motorcycles could ever be " compared " as they are so totally different from each other.
If you are looking for a serious touring bike, my opinion is the pin falls short without some upgrades ( I can say this as I rode mine to Myrtle Beach from Ontario, Canada last year ), but, all around cruiser, fun factor, performance, my pin is awesome.
The R3T is a huge motorcycle, big, powerfull, they de-tuned the T models, so no more 147 hp, but still very powerfull.
Again, test ride, " you " decide what's right for you, both really good machines, just two different leagues, IMO

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

I don't think touring on a Rocket III would be much different than a Kingpin, but if you want a bike that sounds like an outboard motor buy the Rocket III.
I did take a Rocket III for a test ride. Lots of power, hated the sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.