VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site and looking for a little input. Looking to purchase a Kingpin in the near future. I have been scouring cycletrader, Ebay and reading every review I can find on the Kingpin.
I can't afford a new one and have been looking at the 2004-2006 range. I understand that there were engine and other changes over those years but the bikes look identical. Does the larger engine make a big or small difference in the overall ride and performance of the bike to justify the higher price? I am coming from Jap bikes and have never owned a V-twin before. Thanks for any input.
Marty

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with Sutherland. I hate to count on someone else to break the bike in right and change the oil when it should be changed along with the other maintenance. Get new if you can do it. Many dealers have left overs.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Not sure when the engine changed but I would stick to the Freedom 100ci. I have seen a bunch go for some pretty low prices in the age range you are looking at and most of them had under 5000 miles. If you want to save a couple of more bucks look at the Vegas, basically the same bike with a different fender.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

dsjr70 said:
Not sure when the engine changed but I would stick to the Freedom 100ci. I have seen a bunch go for some pretty low prices in the age range you are looking at and most of them had under 5000 miles. If you want to save a couple of more bucks look at the Vegas, basically the same bike with a different fender.
With a scooter front wheel.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
OneThumb said:
dsjr70 said:
With a scooter front wheel.
Lets say chopper style front wheel... I dont know what scooters look like in Canada but down here they have short fat tires... hhmmmm sounds like another bike I know.....

·
Registered
844 Posts

Dontworry to much about the engine size.If you end up with 04 or 05 the 92 freedom engine will not dissapoint.
04,05 -5 speed transmission not a deal breaker,but if you plan on hitting the highway alotyou may want to consider an06 w/ the 6 speed.
The kp is very versatile.you can run it around town as a stripped down cruiser,or load it w/bags and a windshield and takeoff for a weekend.Theres plenty of accessories,so have at it.
Best of luck on your kp purchase,and post some pics once you got it
scott,

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I have an 05 92 inch. Ihave had 2 100 inch motors and will say the 92 is not lacking by much. The only thing I miss is the 6th gear. While do 80 for longer lengths of time,I always seem to want to shift again.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

If it was me shopping I would stick with a 100 cubic inch/six speed Kingpin.I test rode the two back to back when I was shopping... the 100"/6 speed was better.
The 2006/2007 are more 'modification friendly', but the 2008 and later have closed loop FI which sure is nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.