VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on this install. I posted this on the VMC site as well.

Neal recommends removing the mufflers in order to loosen the crossover pipe behind the engine. The crossover has to be loose to install 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the stand to the back of the engine - otherwise, the crossover is in the way and you can't install the bolts.

The problem is - I have a Busthtec hitch. The side supports for the hitch line up right behind the bolts holding the muffler to the bike, and so the mufflers are not coming off unless I do a full rear-end strip and re-build. I had to do that to install the hitch last year, and I'm not ready to go through that exercise again just yet...not difficult, it just takes (lots of) time.

Has anyone else out there found a way to install Neal's stand without removing the mufflers? I would guess that anyone out there buying a Vic centre stand would run into the same problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess that I'm in touch with my feminine side. The less time that I spend farkling the Vic, the more time I'll have to go shoe-shopping.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I would probably have to agree. I had the bike up on the lift this afternoon, and I just can't see any way around removing the mufflers. If worse comes to worst, I'll just hang on to the stand for now, and install it the next time that I'm doing some major rear-end work.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

DL1000 said:
Yeah, I would probably have to agree. I had the bike up on the lift this afternoon, and I just can't see any way around removing the mufflers. If worse comes to worst, I'll just hang on to the stand for now, and install it the next time that I'm doing some major rear-end work.
Hey Rick, I think you know that's along way down the road.
With these center stands, dose the rear wheel come off the ground when in use?

·
Registered
207 Posts

I installed my King stand last week. It turned out to be a nine hour job for me. Using theallen head bolts supplied with the stand it is just not possible to get the two right side bolts into the threaded holes on the back side of the crankcase without moving the crossover pipe rearward a considerable amount to provide room for the bolt head to clear the pipe plus room for aallen head socket or ninety degree allen key to tighten them up.
One possibility would be to try shorter standard hex head boltsand a regular open end wrench. You will need long fingers and lots of patience but it might work if you can find just the right length of bolt to clear the crossover pipe but long enough to catch enough threads in the crankcase holes.
My install was further complicated by the fact that I have the reverse gear on my 2010 Vision. You cannot pull the header / crossover pipe assembly back far enough without removing the reverse gear housing on the right side of the bike.
In the end I also drained the oil and pulled the oil filter so I could take theheader / crossover assemblyright off the bike and do theinstall properly including torquing the bolts to the specified torque setting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
OneThumb said:
DL1000 said:
Neither the Victory or the King stand will raise the rear wheel off the ground. They are basically drive off stands. Just put her in gear and drive away. Some of theriders who have installed them have said you can get the wheel to come off by deploying the stand on top of a piece of wood. I have yet to try this but will send some pics if it works. Still recovering from nine hours work on my 56 year old knees!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks, MWAV! That's thinking outside the box. I'll take your suggestion and see if I can find bolts like that. I still foresee a problem getting the torque wrench to the bolts, but I can probably get close enough to the right torque without using the wrench.

·
Registered
207 Posts
DL1000 said:
Thanks, MWAV! That's thinking outside the box. I'll take your suggestion and see if I can find bolts like that. I still foresee a problem getting the torque wrench to the bolts, but I can probably get close enough to the right torque without using the wrench.
They do actually sell open end wrench fittings that can snap onto atorque wrench for hard to reach places. Try an auto parts store that sells good quality mechanics tools, if you can find some bolts that will work. I have also been known to use the "thats about right" or the "it aint never coming loose again" method from time to time. A little blue Locktite on the threads will also add a little insurance.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
ManWithAVision said:
OneThumb said:
DL1000 said:
Neither the Victory or the King stand will raise the rear wheel off the ground. They are basically drive off stands. Just put her in gear and drive away. Some of theriders who have installed them have said you can get the wheel to come off by deploying the stand on top of a piece of wood. I have yet to try this but will send some pics if it works. Still recovering from nine hours work on my 56 year old knees!
Are these stands spring loaded so that when you drive off they stay up, I thought I read some where you had to lock it up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
OneThumb said:
ManWithAVision said:
OneThumb said:
DL1000 said:
Are these stands spring loaded so that when you drive off they stay up, I thought I read some where you had to lock it up.
It does have a single spring (compared to four on the Victory stand), but it does stay up. Will have to wait and see what happens on washboard country roads this summer. The locking provision allows you to lock the stand in the deployed position so someone else can't drive off with your baby without making lots of scraping noises.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just go shoe shopping and pay a man to set up your bike!!!!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the insightful advice, Rick! But being the cheap bugger that I am, I just can't see paying someone 8 to 10 hours labour to take the back end on & off to install a stand, when I can do it myself and wait out another Ottawa winter!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Especially with the prices you have to pay up there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.