VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how long it is and what the guage would be?

Further, thoughts on using a 2nd spring as reinforcement for the kickstand? I'm assuming the spring serves not only to retract and hold the stand but to help keep the stand from bending

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The spring is there to hold it up while you are riding. It does nothing for the strength of the kickstand it's self.

If you want a stronger kickstand I think Whitchdoctor's sells a heavy duty kickstand.

What problem are you having with your kickstand?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I have to say that a spring isn't going to do anything to keep the side stand from bending. It's just not strong enough to make a difference compared to the stand itself. It's just to keep it in position.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I was just looking at the springs on Witch Doctor's site last night and wondering if I should get one. No issues with this bike, but I've had one drop off of one of my Nomads. I can tell you, trying to ride and keep the stand up is a lot harder than it sounds, and it sounds pretty near impossible. My nomad had a kill switch attached.....just added to the fun.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my C90 did too. I refuse to pay 34 bucks US plus shipping for a damn spring btw. First Victory only has them for like 19 bucks and I bet I could find a spring at Napa or somewhere locally cheaper.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I was just looking at the springs on Witch Doctor's site last night and wondering if I should get one. No issues with this bike, but I've had one drop off of one of my Nomads. I can tell you, trying to ride and keep the stand up is a lot harder than it sounds, and it sounds pretty near impossible. My nomad had a kill switch attached.....just added to the fun.
That was a fairly common problem with Nomads.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Anyone know how long it is and what the guage would be?

Further, thoughts on using a 2nd spring as reinforcement for the kickstand? I'm assuming the spring serves not only to retract and hold the stand but to help keep the stand from bending
If you have an old set of drum brakes sitting around, springs from them hold up pretty well. How do I know this? LOL

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have an old set of drum brakes sitting around, springs from them hold up pretty well. How do I know this? LOL
Thats a good idea! I see lots of muffler springs that look similar to if a guy found the right length. Maybe this is a stupid question but...where the hell is a muffler spring used on a car???

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the looks of this shift stand mod much better than the WD. I had a spare chunk of 1" steel square tubing with a 1/8" wall that I cut one side out, painted gloss black and set it on my stand to see how I liked. I do. The WD looks like it just has 2 steel strips welded on each side. It says powdercoated. Looks painted to me. Anyway I like the tube look better that the member here did and found a guy who does small welding projects for me who will supply, cut and weld the tubing for 30 bucks for me. If it needs cleanup i have flapwheels and a grinder and I'll cleanup and paint.

View attachment 494761

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thats a good idea! I see lots of muffler springs that look similar to if a guy found the right length. Maybe this is a stupid question but...where the hell is a muffler spring used on a car???
Huh? Where did muffler come from? 2 stroke dirt bikes sure. You forget your glasses?? Hahah

·
Registered
865 Posts
My bad. Exhaust spring. Where the hell is this used?

View attachment 494765
Oh, I thought you were referring to my post and I didn't say anything about muffler/exhaust.

I've seen those used for dirt-bike mounts to the jugs and mufflers to the pipes. There's some flat rounds that are used on cars for head-pipe to exhaust pipe flanges. Never seen one of that type used on a car but a lot on off-road stuff.

From my memory (take that with a grain of whatever), those type of springs are a bit too short for the stands though but I'm sure there are some with extensions. Some of the drum brake springs have extensions on them and the kits are relatively cheap. Or, go to some service station, they probably have some of those sitting in their bins.

Reactions: Tenax66

·
Registered
865 Posts
I like the looks of this shift stand mod much better than the WD. I had a spare chunk of 1" steel square tubing with a 1/8" wall that I cut one side out, painted gloss black and set it on my stand to see how I liked. I do. The WD looks like it just has 2 steel strips welded on each side. It says powdercoated. Looks painted to me. Anyway I like the tube look better that the member here did and found a guy who does small welding projects for me who will supply, cut and weld the tubing for 30 bucks for me. If it needs cleanup i have flapwheels and a grinder and I'll cleanup and paint.

View attachment 494761
I keep meaning to make an extension like on this one to make the stand easier to get hold of. Seems to get to it, one needs to rub against that hot shield.
Was doing a "Drag Race" during TBFS. It's where 2 riders get on their bikes, go out to this barrell with womens clothing and wigs in it, put them on, and come back. The one who gets back first dressed wins.
I'm pretty good at getting the stand down so the first 2 I was in neutral with stand down before I stopped, so I just let the bike fall on the stand, do my dressing, and head back.
Third time, stand down, neutral, wasn't quite stopped I guess, and bike fell that way. Heck, I just left it sit there. Knew that it didn't touch anything important, did my thing, but it took me a bit to get it back up, on the bike, then the Tip Over Sensor had stalled the bike and needed reset by leaning other way so that was a loss. Fun though.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I keep meaning to make an extension like on this one to make the stand easier to get hold of. Seems to get to it, one needs to rub against that hot shield.
Was doing a "Drag Race" during TBFS. It's where 2 riders get on their bikes, go out to this barrell with womens clothing and wigs in it, put them on, and come back. The one who gets back first dressed wins.
I'm pretty good at getting the stand down so the first 2 I was in neutral with stand down before I stopped, so I just let the bike fall on the stand, do my dressing, and head back.
Third time, stand down, neutral, wasn't quite stopped I guess, and bike fell that way. Heck, I just left it sit there. Knew that it didn't touch anything important, did my thing, but it took me a bit to get it back up, on the bike, then the Tip Over Sensor had stalled the bike and needed reset by leaning other way so that was a loss. Fun though.
Thats cause you were dressed like a woman. Had your "lady driver" brain going. Lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.