VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday October 14, 2009

Were on our way, Met up with the two Marks, Phoenix and bakfixer. And after topping off the tanks left the Chicago area about 10:30am Central Time.

Decided to slab as much as possible due to the horrendous weather forecast.

Moved over to a secondary Highway to get around as much rain as possible. And it worked out pretty well. Well at least until Phoenix who was on point decided to stay in the ipass lane until after the toll booth and missed the exit.

So after diverting off and then about 5 miles back from where we just were we got on the right highway and were headed south. (about a 25 min oops)

Made it down 57 and caught Rt-24 an hour or so later then east to I-65. Stopped again for gas at I-65 and a quick bite at some little dive in Remmington Ind. So back on the road for 5 hours a little light drizzle and mostly mist. Nothing too major average speed about 70 with the high about 110. Pulled into Bowling Green Ky. at 7pm.

3 Little Visions all in a row at the hotel (yes it had been raining)

so we had our dinner

And now turning in for the night.

(Oh yeah i think there was a pizza in there someplace too.)

Todays ride was about 500 miles , tomorrow should be about 700 into Gainesville Fla.

More from the road tomorrow...........

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well,....

Nah just kidding. The vision IS that good. Smooth as silk and the many foot positions with the stock boards lets you stay comfy for long rides !

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Here's the map from Day One of the Chicago Boys' Trip to The Florida Keys:

Day One
Chicago to Bowling Green, Kentucky
Approximate Mileage: 516

Note: Oops, Somebody forgot to turn on the SPOT device after stopping in Southern Indiana! That accounts for the lack of tracking between that point and the day's destination in Kentucky.

FYI, the SPOT device is a battery-operated, handheld, real time satellite tracking device that allows friends and family members the ability to track your progress along the way. It also features an emergency 911 button that uses satellite technology to transmit your exact location to emergency personnel. Since it does not use cellular technology, the SPOT operates even when the user is located in remote locations.

Of course, the SPOT requires a clear view of the open skies to operate properly and can be mounted on a bike and includes a clip so that it can be attached to clothing. It's advisable to clip this to the rider's clothing in the case the rider becomes separated from the bike.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Were in Florida ! Staying near Gainesville.

Sorry but the Internet is a dog with flees so pictures will have to wait.

Well today was an adventure to say the least. 645 miles today and Wet !

Started out of Bowling Green, KY about 7:45am and no rain. Ground was wet from the early am storm that went through. Spray was everywhere but averaged about 70. Sun came out briefly and then went right back in 20 min later.

The the Fecal matter hit the oscillating Device just north of Atlanta. We had arrived at the "Perfect Storm" 2 weather bands not too wide but no way around it. It absolutely Dumped on us for about 25 min. Then we had about 20 min of no rain but real wet. The It hit us again, harder this time for about the same amount of time. Phoenix and i were hooked up through the Scala riders and decided to push through it. If we hadnt we might still be sitting north of Atlanta.

Finally got through and figured we were ok now. Famous last words. We hadnt seen the third system on the Blackberry and right into another one. Entered Atlanta pretty dry now and got through the city at about 80mph.

Pulled over for gas and food in Forsyth. Still had the rain stuff on and went aboiut 50 miles. I pulled along side Phoenix and tugged on my rains and made a gesture that i was hot as Hell ! temp started really climbing. So stopped for maybe 6 or 7 min and stripped all the gear. took off again. Luckiest thing we didnt even know we did, because just north of Valdosta we saw a nasty storm that had just gone through perhaps 2 min before we went through. Yee ha we actually caught a break.

Going through Valdosta We had the most beautiful sunset in the world. Started really feeling at the time that this is what its all about.

From Valdosta to Gainesville was about 83mph power run. Tada were here and tired. meeting up with Dsjr tomorrow and then down to Meet up with Andy for lunch. out of there NO LATER THAN 2pm to get through Miami before rush hour. After that we slow it down and start enjoying everything. If all goes well we'll be drinking Rum in Islamorada in the early eve.

More to follow. Gnight!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
DSJR70 caught up with the Chicago Boys earlier today and PaulD met up with us at the restaurant. We had a great lunch and they are now headed to the Florida Keys.

Of course...Photos:

DSJR70, Phoenix, Bakfxr and Clubford
Yes, that bike looks familiar...like seeing an old friend! Clubford00 has taken very good care of her!

A closer look.

Lunch (PaulD on Left)

The Bikes.

More photos later...

And wait until you see Bakfxr's Vision...Holy Crap...Black and a lot of CHROME!!!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Were the Illinois Boyz dried out yet?
So far, the Florida weather has been good to them. I think that Georgia was not as nice!

It's still hot and humid and that's expected to change on Sunday. So, they weren't too smelly today!

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Don, You rode your wifes bike? LOL
Now if we only had pictures of our ride south. LOL
You guys, have you seen the weather for coming home? Best you stay till March, see you then.
Ride Safe:OT

·
Registered
99 Posts
Weather doesn't seem to bother them. At lunch they never said a word about the times the road in dry weather. Like a lot of things, what is nerve racking on Monday you laugh about on Tuesday!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
OneThumb said:
You guys, have you seen the weather for coming home? Best you stay till March, see you then.
He has his purse in one of those bags..lol

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
stilcrazee said:
OneThumb said:
He has his purse in one of those bags..lol
Can I take yours Dear? Your bike gets better milage.
Actually
Mine has too many miles on it.
Got to get top dollar for it when I sell it,so I can get one of those new XC's. LOL
OT

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.