VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a whim because I'm also into cars and trucks; I checked out the Kelley Blue Book values for my two Vic's and found them about right from what I have seen elsewhere. Sure, someone can ask for $14k for a 2011 XC, but will it ever sell at that price? Doubtful at this moment in time. Granted they don't take into account any mods so if you have something set up exactly like someone wanted you might get lucky and get that $14k but I think that would be the outlier and not the general rule of thumb.

Check yours and see if you agree with KBB.

New and Used Motorcycles - Motorcycle Prices and Values | Kelley Blue Book

·
Registered
634 Posts
Those values don't take mileage or anything else into account.... only the model and the year. Not an accurate way to value a used Bike.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those values don't take mileage or anything else into account.... only the model and the year. Not an accurate way to value a used Bike.
Good luck finding a source that does that with motorcycles. Cars; yes. Motorcycles; no.

They also don't take into account that $5k+ in extras so many of us invest into our machines.

It shows the value of your 16 XC as about $14k and my 11 XC at about $10k. I'd say that's about right in stock form or maybe with a stage 1. The prices quoted are also what a dealer might charge. Probably a grand less on selling it yourself.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Doesn’t seem much different than before the announcement. Meaning, I wonder if KBB has actually updated their pricing to reflect anything related to the demise of Vic. I would guess not...the algorithm is likely chugging along as if nothing has changed.

My ‘14 Vision Tour is showing $12k.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Then compare that to new. Used bikes in this area are a dime a dozen. Victory's are holding steady in the 5-10k range. But to pay 14K for a used Victory first you have to know Victory and how their made, second it has to be a garage queen. That does make it bode well for us in the Victory clan wanting to buy but it doesn't for those wanting to sell.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
If you look to the side of the given value there is a selection for equipment and miles. Click on either of those and it will give expected milage on that year bike or the potential value for equipment added. This can help a person get closer to a true value be that up higher or lower. It's not perfect but it can help.
View attachment 495719 View attachment 495721 View attachment 495723

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then compare that to new. Used bikes in this area are a dime a dozen. Victory's are holding steady in the 5-10k range. But to pay 14K for a used Victory first you have to know Victory and how their made, second it has to be a garage queen. That does make it bode well for us in the Victory clan wanting to buy but it doesn't for those wanting to sell.
I agree. I've been watching Craigslist locally. One bike is of particular interest to me; a 2004 Kingpin I used to own.

The current owner apparently isn't aware of the loss of value our Vic's have taken in the resale market. He has it priced at $4,900. Seven years ago I sold it for $5,800. My guess is fair market value at this moment in time is about $3,800-$4,200. Reality is a real ***** sometimes.

My current 04 KP is far nicer with it being a premium model and I don't think the local market would pay more than $4,400 for mine and more likely $4k. Both KP's have less than 30k miles on them.

I never buy bikes as investment or to make a profit with the exception of one back in the 90's I got a great deal on. It's a bit of kick in the teeth to take such a loss but we aren't the first and won't be the last.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yup, 10K from a dealer in excellent condition all for a bike that started factory @ 22K. 12K in 5 years. It's not only Victory, used HD's around here are just the same. In fact I just passed on a 16 Chief Vintage with stage 1, leather grips and 1200miles on it for 15K, in fact he still had all the safety stickers on the damn thing. But waiting until the 19's are released the dealer (if norms hold) will drop a brand new one (2 tone paint) to 18.5 then throw in the factory incentives (usually 1500 on top of your trade-in + 1000 for vets/police/fire fighters/emt's) you are now well below used price with brand new warranty.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree. I've been watching Craigslist locally. One bike is of particular interest to me; a 2004 Kingpin I used to own.

The current owner apparently isn't aware of the loss of value our Vic's have taken in the resale market. He has it priced at $4,900. Seven years ago I sold it for $5,800. My guess is fair market value at this moment in time is about $3,800-$4,200. Reality is a real ***** sometimes.

My current 04 KP is far nicer with it being a premium model and I don't think the local market would pay more than $4,400 for mine and more likely $4k. Both KP's have less than 30k miles on them.

I never buy bikes as investment or to make a profit with the exception of one back in the 90's I got a great deal on. It's a bit of kick in the teeth to take such a loss but we aren't the first and won't be the last.
I know, I'm going back in forth on my Vegas (03 with 70K on the clock) to me it looks like it just rolled out of the show room, but to anyone else they see a brand that is gone on a bike that has (in there opinion) a ton of miles... 1800 is what I was quoted on trade (without any incentives) maybe I could pull off 2200 at Power Brokers (a consignment shop) but still might want it in my stable for that. Hell I'll walk the ditches for aluminum cans and in a summer I would still own her.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
On a whim because I'm also into cars and trucks; I checked out the Kelley Blue Book values for my two Vic's and found them about right from what I have seen elsewhere. Sure, someone can ask for $14k for a 2011 XC, but will it ever sell at that price? Doubtful at this moment in time. Granted they don't take into account any mods so if you have something set up exactly like someone wanted you might get lucky and get that $14k but I think that would be the outlier and not the general rule of thumb.

Check yours and see if you agree with KBB.

New and Used Motorcycles - Motorcycle Prices and Values | Kelley Blue Book
Sadly their retail pricing probably won't happen, the trade-in values are much closer to reality for actual retail. What the dealer gives you will probably be ugly as they need to make a couple grand, depending on how much profit they have built into the new bike.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I know, I'm going back in forth on my Vegas (03 with 70K on the clock) to me it looks like it just rolled out of the show room, but to anyone else they see a brand that is gone on a bike that has (in there opinion) a ton of miles... 1800 is what I was quoted on trade (without any incentives) maybe I could pull off 2200 at Power Brokers (a consignment shop) but still might want it in my stable for that. Hell I'll walk the ditches for aluminum cans and in a summer I would still own her.
Sadly an 03' Vegas can be bought all day long for in the $2,500 ballpark. That doesn't leave the dealer much room to pay out advertising and a sales commission, they need to make a couple grand to cover over-head.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's the way it is with luxury items. Learned that a long time ago with Bass boats. People will look at only the age and not count the modifications. I have a 1996 boat( I bought used), a 2012 outboard(175 hp that I bought new) and also replaced the original trailer with a new 2015 trailer due to a black ice incident. With everything figured out, it's book value says $17k. I only paid $8500 in 2006. I'm asking $13k which barely covers the newer updates.
Will I get it? Probably not. But I'm in no rush. Someone will come along and see the potential for a good deal to them. Until then, just enjoy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A lot of dealers go by the NADA Guide instead which is significantly lower than KBB.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
NADA according to Progressive here in Oregon, had to buy back my GW from the insurance company and sell it privately to pay off the loan, I was way upside down. According to KBB however, mine is ~$14k range without the additional aftermarket stuff, but I wouldn't be able to get that for sure, not that I'd be interested in selling it.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
NADA according to Progressive here in Oregon, had to buy back my GW from the insurance company and sell it privately to pay off the loan, I was way upside down. According to KBB however, mine is ~$14k range without the additional aftermarket stuff, but I wouldn't be able to get that for sure, not that I'd be interested in selling it.
Yep insurance companies will never give you what the motorcycle is actually worth even though you're usually paying for 20-25K (original loan amount) dollar coverage.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
As far as the values of Vics the used market is keeping the new bikes priced cheap but the value will drop drastically once it's considered a used bike.

A few months back I purchased a 2014 CCT w/ 17K miles and w/ some added accessories for 11.5K. I thought that was a great price and ran with it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you try to trade in your bike, there's no way you will get anything near retail. It will be wholesale and the dealer will use the lower price whether it's KBB or NADA, then they will turn around and ask for retail, and negotiate from there. Personally, if I was to buy a used bike, I would only pay wholesale or close to wholesale. No way would I ever pay anyone KBB/NADA retail price. Buying a used bike pose a great risk of the unknown.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
I bought my 08 for a couple thousand under suggested retail in Jan of 17.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
KBB claims my 2012 CCT is worth $15,900 CDN. Fat chance! I’ve ridden it into the 7th season this year. Purchased it for $21,500. And added several thousand $$ to make it into what I wanted it to be. They display warm and fuzzy feel good numbers. In the end I could ask $15,900 and keep it for years to come. But the true value is what someone is willing to part with to take over ownership.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.