VOG Forum banner

Kawasaki vs Victory

6272 8
Andy ask me to do a comparison between my Kawasaki Nomad 1600 and the Victory V92 that I had before the Nomad.

It is hard to compare the two bikes due to one having liquid cooling and a drive shaft and the other with an air cooled engine and a drive belt.

First of all I think liquid cooling is better than air cooling. It's my opinion any engine running at a consistent temp will be more efficient and probably last longer. Victory is way ahead of the common air cooled engine with the extra oil capacity and oil cooler.While liquid cooling has more plumbing, Kawasaki's system is very well designed. Unlike many liquid cooled motorcycle engines the water pump can be changed without pulling the engine. While many people frown when it comes to the extra maintenance you have to do with a liquid cooled motorcycle it is the same thing with most every car you drive and it's no big deal.

The drive shaft does require more maintenance than a belt. If I had my preference I have to say I like a belt better. The new Nomads have a belt drive.

Let's talk about handling. The two bikes weigh about the same but the Nomad feels much lighter that the old Vic.While I'm no racer the Nomad seems to get around the curves with less effort and to me,more stable.

As I said in another post the cost of Victory OEM parts is ridiculous and the dealer network in my area is very limited. This was a major factor in my selling the Victory. I have a great respect for the Victory Motorcycle but not so much for the company itself.

The Vic was a 2002 and the Nomad is a 2005 so this comparison is somewhat outdated as compared to the newer models but as I said, Andy asked. I certainly don't consider myself a motorcycle expert but I have been riding for over forty years and owned around thirty bikes over the years. In my younger days I also worked at several bike shops and my jobs included being a parts manager and mechanic. My background and experience is part of the reason why I'm still a big Victory fan.

I'm sure it is obvious that I'm no writer and have not fully mastered the English language so don't flame me too much.

As always, ride safe and it's not what you ride but the fact you ride that counts.

Steve
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Nice write up... I have never owned a Kawasaki cruiser but in the short time I worked for them I owned several of their sportbikes. I would not hesitate to purchase a bike from them and have been giving serious thought to their new cruiser.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also own a 2006 Kawasaki Nomad which is my "travel" bike and a Vegas 8 Ball as my "around town" bike. The Nomad is a good machine that handles well and corners fairly well for a heavy bagger. Fuel mileage is horrible and depreciation is poor as well. I can live with the 37 - 38 m.p.g. but the depreciation kills me. I like to buy a bike every year to year and a half, to sample the field so to speak. Even though I bought the Nomad as a gently used unit, its value has dropped so much in the past 18 months I can't afford to sell it now. I don't want to take that big of a loss, so I am just holding on to it and splitting time between my Vegas and it. My last 5 bikes have been Honda, Suzuki, H/D, and then the Nomad and the Vegas. I want my next bike to be either a H/D or a Victory. The H/D I had gave me a really good return on investment when I sold it, and hopefully the Vegas will also. So if you do ever consider a metric bike, look into the same model used and see what they are bringing for prices. That will give you an idea of how fast they depreciate. For me, I personally wouldn't buy a metric brand new. Not unless I was committed to keeping it a long long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
NUMBERS GAME
c9zz said:
The H/D I had gave me a really good return on investment when I sold it, and hopefully the Vegas will also.
I wonder how, comparatively speaking, an HD's resale value compares to that of a cars resale value. And that would be cars representing different price levels i.e. a Ferrari, a Honda Civic, etc, etc.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
TwoTwo said:
I wonder how, comparatively speaking, an HD's resale value compares to that of a cars resale value. And that would be cars representing different price levels i.e. a Ferrari, a Honda Civic, etc, etc.
All depends on the economy. If you bought when the economy was good you are going to take a pretty good hit. If you bought when the economy was bad your hit will be less painful... But you are going to take a hit no matter what.

·
Registered
322 Posts
An impression of more recent models; My wife was in the market for a touring bike in 2009. She has had Yamaha's in progressively larger sizes and her ride at the time was a 2004 Honda GL1800A. She test rode numerous larger "baggers" including the various, larger Kawi's. She chose the 2009 Vision Tour and she still refers to it as her "best bike, ever" for the comfort, low seat height, handling at low and high speeds, range.......................etc. I have become rather fond of the Vision, myself :wink: (And we both said when the Vision first appeared in magazines when it was announced, "who'd want to ride something that looked like THAT :eek: )

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have ownd 2 Kawi's and my first I still have a 99 vulcan 800. My second was a 2004 1500 nomad fi that I pickup used for 5800.00 otd it had 1700 mile on the clock put 30,000 mile on it and traded it for my 2011 vision. they gave me 4800.00 trade value. To compare the two bikes is like night and day. The vision is so much easier to handle at all speeds and the ride is smoother on the highway. I loved my nomad but I have never looked back after buying my vic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.