VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought one and installed it on the bike at the first oil change. Haven't changed the oil since putting it on. As far as "performing" I think it will do fine if you go by all the information out there. I also think alot of us overthink the whole oil/filter question these days. I bought it based on the fact it was reuseable such as the K/N airfilter. If used over time it will save you money. If you are the type that sells your bike with only 10kmiles on it then you'll never see the cost benefit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does anyone know what the micron size is that it filters down to?That would be my first and foremost concern. If it lets particles bigger than 10 microns through I'll be sticking with my Amsoil filter and oil of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts

This from their web site;http://www.kandpengineering.com/atv.shtml

K & P Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filters
If you really care about the life of your engine.

BEWARE OF CHEAP COPY FILTERS!

Everything you wanted to know about K&P Stainless Filters

These stainless oil filters are made from laser cut, medical grade, stainless steel micronic filter cloth to provide unmatched protection against oil contamination and resultant engine damage.
Superior Filtration
This filter is far superior to any paper filter you can buy. It filters to 35 micronic absolute. This means that no particle larger than 35 microns will pass through this filter. Paper filters are rated at 50 to 80 microns avarage, meaning a paper filter will pass particles many times larger.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

for me I looked into these but just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Sure they're reusable but you still need to clean them. Cost of cleaning materials and time is a concern. Filtering capabilities, well someone give me one and I'll do a before, after and during UOA. If it show's to be as good or better than a paper I'm there and I'll buy it, if it doesn't let me return it for full refund. Don't think they'll do it. It's a great theory but I just don't know how well it can cleaned in your garage.
Also cooling is great, but I doubt it would be enough to be of any real value. It does look nice though but much like the oil cooler covers and tank strap covers, it's not really an area I desire to draw attention to.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

With one of these filters, how long would one be expected to go between oil changes? Wouldn't that still depend on the oil itself?
I've heard great things bout the Conquest Filters, but not much about the actual maintance of them. Is it worth the effort?
Grantedmore "goo/gunk/crap" filtered should in theory clean the oil and make it last longer,but doesn't the constant heat on the oil break it down?
(Please DON'T turn this into an oil thread.)
I've been doing the straight Vic Oil Change Kit about every 3k. Been stretching it a tad lately($$ ya know), but now that my bike is almost broken in, I don't want to hurt anything. I realize things do wear out & such but EEEK ... I've had such good luck and experience with the tried & proven.
I'm about due for an oil change AGAIN and really need to economize as do alot of us. (YES!!! I do this myself! I'm learning.)
I do have the K & N Air filter and bought a cleaner kit for that. I've yet to clean it although Angel (Earth Shaker) has done it for me and showed me how. My next endevour!
Hey I'm a girl and I build bridges & roads, I call the mechanic at work if something breaks down!! I'm learning tho. He told me to put down the hammer while wrenching.

·
Registered
671 Posts
hi fish you would still change you'r oil at its normal service depending on type of oil used standerd or syn the only thing you need to do is take filter apart spray out with parts or brake clean and reinstall you get the same filtration as a paper filter but with better flow .. now add up how many filters you buy i a year and what thay cost devide by what this filter cost and how long it will pay for its self for my self it will 5 oil changes

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

I'm going to have to look into that. Soon as I get back to work.
I'm sorry, was there a specific part number for the Oil Filters from K & N & does it use the same cleaning system stuff as the air filters? I just got that air cleaner kit at a recent Yamaha event where I won a gift certificate. :)
Pleading ignorant here, but doesn't Cycle Ops, Kewl Metal or one of the VMC guys make some of those "lifetime" filters? I have heard about them and heard good things.
Thanks for the info. Like I said I'm no wrench, (eek almost typoed wench! haha) but this simple stuff is quite doable. The oil is your bikes life blood.
Since I have started changing my own oil, I've just been getting the Vic Oil Change Kit since it has it all in there.
Now don't laugh but my bike jack is 4 pieces of carpet samples. $1 each. I ride up and set the rear tire on them. BINGO I can getunder therevery easily.
Any of you guys wanna buy that tip???? LOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

OO EEOO Ahh Ahhhh! Ting tang walla walla BLING BLING!!
Thanks for the linky!!! I'm thinking I will be getting one soon.
(I know goofy post.) CHeck out the site. VERY nice BLING BLING and practical too.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Not trying to bad mouth the product but I wonder about a few things.
CC says under 10 micron. Sure sense the filter is 10 micron the particles would be smaller or be trapped. But it sounds more like trying to say there filter is better than other 10 micron filters which do the same thing.
6061 aluminum helping cool? By how much? Sure aluminum dissipates heat but under these conditions what is the amount? 1/2 degree? 10 degrees?
Better flow? I remember many years ago my old boss was into stock car racing. He kept blowing radiators. He changed radiators, hoses, pump and anything else he could think of. I asked him what was he using for a thermostat? He said he wasn't. I told him he needed to restrict the water flow so that it had time to pull the heat out of the engine. I told him to take a washer and drill a 3/8" hole in it and see how that worked. Never blew another radiator. There are times when better flow does not mean better cooling.

If you buy it for bling and it does not detract for any reason then go for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.