1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Puss bought a Jeep Renegade

View attachment 490443

View attachment 490447

So we took the Scion up to CarMax to see what they would offer us. They made me an offer, I said, "K, bye" and stood up. They said I have 7 days to think about it and I said, "7 days won't change anything".

So I went home and posted it on a local facebook for sale page... My messenger and phone were blowing the f**k up! I sold that car in 20 hours for double what CarMax offered me. Got back all the money I put down on the Renegade and made a little profit too!

View attachment 490451

Anyway, bought the xB new... still had the window sticker. I thought Puss was gonna cry when it drove away, but it went to a good home.

View attachment 490449

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting tidbits.....

The Jeep is the same basic chassis and driveline as the Fiat 500X (the 4-door). It is built in Italy. Puss was looking at a sticker on it thinking it was made in Mexico... I said, "It's Italian, not Spanish".

Hers is LOADED. Every option available with the turbo engine and manual 6-speed transmission. It's a pretty sweet little 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long did it take to find a manual tranny in the Jeep? One would think it would still be common in a Jeep?

Most of the Jeep's that come through the shop are autos.
We found this one in PA. It's a limited edition Latitude with Altitude package, the other manual ones were bare bones base models and this one has almost 6K in options.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Puss drove the 9-speed automatic, and all she said was, "That sucks". Almost all the complaints from consumers are related to the 9-speed automatic transmission.

When we got it home the first thing she wanted was, "Turn off that stupid hill-assist thing. I stalled it twice on the way home.". Once disabled things are much better.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Two black vehicle's. Your gonna need a lot of yellow paint. Congrats, Hope she loves it more than the last.
It's been 12 years.... it's time. I don't want to worry about her car leaving her someplace. She needs something that will bring her home every time. We did look at this one...

View attachment 490465

I like the idea of full time automatic 4-wheel-drive for her in inclement weather and you can select modes that are 4-wheel-lock (snow, mud, sand).

·
Registered
593 Posts
HC - Looks good. Carmax offers are notoriously lowball. Back in 2000 I had a 94 fully loaded Blazer I went to sell when I bought a Suburban from them and they offered me $800. I said F... no and left. Posted it in autotrader that night and sold to a MD State Trooper 2 days later for $4,500

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
Nice buy, HC. My best friend just went through a similar experience with those car min bastards. Ended up selling his old car for 4 times what those pricks tried to rip him off for...

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I leased a 2016 VW Tiguan. No manual option except the "Tiptronic", or manumatic but it has a 2.0 turbo. It's not a bad little car and putts along quite nicely for an AWD POS. The problem is, I usually drive in sport more or tiptronic mode, because that full automatic has no idea what gear it wants to be in. It's always trying to adjust for max economy, but I have lots of hills here :p

My lease is up in March. Time to look at those Renegades! Saw one at the Bridgewater Fair last year and was intrigued. Lots of room, comfy, priced right... :think:

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I leased a 2016 VW Tiguan. No manual option except the "Tiptronic", or manumatic but it has a 2.0 turbo. It's not a bad little car and putts along quite nicely for an AWD POS. The problem is, I usually drive in sport more or tiptronic mode, because that full automatic has no idea what gear it wants to be in. It's always trying to adjust for max economy, but I have lots of hills here :p

My lease is up in March. Time to look at those Renegades! Saw one at the Bridgewater Fair last year and was intrigued. Lots of room, comfy, priced right... :think:
The 9-speed automatic trans takes forever to figure out what gear to be in when you accelerate (kick-down). It is supposed to 'learn' your driving style and get better over time... yeah, OK. Puss made a U-turn on her test drove of the 2.4 auto and there was traffic coming so she punched it. She said it was a dog... didn't take off with any authority. She was much more satisfied by the 1.6 Turbo w/6-speed manual.

With a small engine in the 160-180 HP range a manual is pretty much a necessity. They say that the 2.4L naturally aspirated engine with automatic makes 180 HP and 175 ft-lbs... and the 1.6 Turbo makes 160 HP and 185 ft-lbs. I firmly believe that there is less driveline loss with the manual transmission, so in reality, power to the ground is more with the 1.6 turbo... but having 9 gears might help a bit with acceleration. The Turbo 1.6L makes it's peak HP and Tq at a much lower rpm than the 2.4L.

Being used to her Scion with the little 1500cc natural aspirated engine, she tends to keep the rpm up. I told her that she would be better served to shift earlier and press the gas down more... "use the boost, not rpm". She's practicing that... but she tends to drive it like a 4-speed. "Honey, you know there are 2 more gears, right?". The ratios are well chosen, works for me.

I really wouldn't use 6th unless above 70 mph, since that's pretty much a highway gear, but the car moves pretty good for a 3200 lb vehicle. Boost is immediate. It's far from "quick" but it's not too bad.

The interior DOES NOT feel like a 'starter car' or an 'entry level subcompact'. It's rather plush. Heated seats and steering wheel, aux heater (don't have to wait for the engine to warm up to make heat), navigation, large touch screen, XM, Bluetooth, electric dual pane sunroof (the whole roof is glass, but it has a sunshade), 8-way driver's seat and 6-way passenger seat, cruise, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, and electric parking brake that let's go if you start to take off. It's super nice inside. Shifter is very positive and the reverse gate locks out (pull up on the ring).

Mostly, it doesn't look like ever other crossover/SUV on the road.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My wife bought a 2017 Grand Cherokee last year, she loves it. Thing is smooth as glass on the road and get 25MPG. She wanted a Four Runner but after driving a new one we both thought they sucked. Jeep was less money than Yota and is better in ever area. We have no idea why someone would buy a Four Runner over a Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Body-on-Frame.
Oh crap, hell if I had known that we would have never bought the Jeep. Forget all the advantages the Jeep has over the FR like, HP, MPG, comfort, sound system, NAV Screen, leg room, four wheel drive system, towing rate, ride quality, overall look (inside and out)... I am such a moron.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I like the tail lights, nice little ride...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.