VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked the bike up a couple of months back with the Vic tall w/shield installed, never rode with the stock shield before this morning. We fogged the back side with black urethane paint and clear coat to give it a dark tint. I have to say this shield looks like pure sex! As far as performance goes, it's a whole different bike. For some reason the sportier look gives it a smaller sportier feel as well. After that it's all negative however. I now see why I have a noisier trans than others, I can actually hear with the tall shield on! Talk about a full blast of wind, I can't hardly hear the radio at 50 mph, I can hear it fine at 80 mph with the tall shield on. I won't go on and on because this stock shield was aimed at the Street Glide audience and Vic hit their target audience. I have to say I love my tall shield even more now, makes it a completely different bike. Above 40 mph this stock shield is the pits but she sure looks good!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that my initial impression comes from riding into work in 53F degree cool air with my lookin cool half helmet, might feel differently if it had been warmer but the freeway has to be brutal with this shield.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Your assessment is absolutely dead-on!
I put my stock windshield back on last weekend just to see if I still hated it as much as I did before I got the tall one. I rode for less than an hour before I went back home and reinstalled the tall windshield. I agree wholeheartedly about the increase in transmission noise, but it's a small price to pay for WAAAAY more comfort and the ability to actually hear the radio.
Just curious, is your 5th gear quieter than 6th? On my bike in 5th, all I can hear is the exhaust note. In 6th,my transwhines like a jet engine.

·
Registered
463 Posts

With the short stock shield on, get out on the hiway at your normal cruising speed.
Take your left arm and place it across your chest with palm down facing the ground.
If you feel air pushing up on your palm the air is coming under the fairing, around the tank and up at your head.
'A set of lowers on the forks will greatly reduce and in many cases, almost eleiminate it.
You see these on some of the HD glides like I had and also HD has the lowers on the fairing in many cases. I was able to run an 8" shield on my SG
give it a try...........
bikendad said:
I picked the bike up a couple of months back with the Vic tall w/shield installed, never rode with the stock shield before this morning. We fogged the back side with black urethane paint and clear coat to give it a dark tint. I have to say this shield looks like pure sex! As far as performance goes, it's a whole different bike. For some reason the sportier look gives it a smaller sportier feel as well. After that it's all negative however. I now see why I have a noisier trans than others, I can actually hear with the tall shield on! Talk about a full blast of wind, I can't hardly hear the radio at 50 mph, I can hear it fine at 80 mph with the tall shield on. I won't go on and on because this stock shield was aimed at the Street Glide audience and Vic hit their target audience. I have to say I love my tall shield even more now, makes it a completely different bike. Above 40 mph this stock shield is the pits but she sure looks good!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Salty said:
With the short stock shield on, get out on the hiway at your normal cruising speed.
Take your left arm and place it across your chest with palm down facing the ground.
If you feel air pushing up on your palm the air is coming under the fairing, around the tank and up at your head.
'A set of lowers on the forks will greatly reduce and in many cases, almost eleiminate it.
You see these on some of the HD glides like I had and also HD has the lowers on the fairing in many cases. I was able to run an 8" shield on my SG
give it a try...........
bikendad said:
I'll try it just to see what I feel. Frankly though I'm tall in the upper torso and I get NO benefit from this stock shield until I crouch WAY down as I'm up in the jet stream getting the full blast of wind.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

I agree..
The short/stock shield absolutely sucks with an open face/half shell helmet.
Though, I hardly ever wear one.
HOWEVER....
A full face helmet paired with the stock shield or the blade shieldworks very well.. The wind is there but it is actually pretty clean air coming across a full face helmet. With this setup, I can hear my radio fairly well until about70mph while wearing a full face helmet.
The tall screens are great for less wind noise,better radio sound, staying warmer, touring and wanting that general convertible car happy go luckyfeel. Which there is nothing wrong with.
BUT....
If you want to go exceed the legal limitsinto the triple digits... Then thetall screens got to go! They grab the wind an cause ashimmy around 115. I know, I know, most XC riders don't reallycare about that stuffbut some might.
The way I figure... If I want to heartunes, when I am playing hard (with a short shield) I will plug into my GPS with some ear buds. No different than any of my previous dozen rockets I have owned.
You never hear rocket riders complaining about wind noise because that is just the nature of the beast. Your in the wind. Thus, why you never see rocket riders wearing half shell helmets.
I like the fact that my XC can offer both styles of ride. Takes 2 minutes to swap out my Cee Baileys 13 inchback to the stock shield.
Webby

·
Registered
463 Posts
bikendad said:
Salty said:
give it a try...........
bikendad said:
I'll try it just to see what I feel. Frankly though I'm tall in the upper torso and I get NO benefit from this stock shield until I crouch WAY down as I'm up in the jet stream getting the full blast of wind.
Giv ita go and see, this will just show you if the wind buffetting is from above or below the fairing and shield.
Save you some coin maybe Cee Baileys has good shields also.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I've got the short and tall shields. Being that weather is still mixed in Wisconsin I haven't put the shorty on yet. On long trips I'm always going to do the long, short trips, we'll have to wait and see until the weather breaks 50 degrees and stays there.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

Onething I have noticed... Try this out.
Ride at a good speed (70+) with your knees out away from the gas tank. Then,
pull your knees in against the gas tank. Having your knees pulled ingreatlyreduces the amount of "dirty" air coming up from below the fairing.
WW

·
Registered
15 Posts
jophez said:
Has anyone here tried a gustufson winshield yet? I have the 13" Cee Bailey but options are good.
http://www.bikescreen.com/index.html
All I did was buy a new helmet the other day and I'm getting dirty air again!? I'm now thinking of the hard lowers.
thanks for the info
I dont think the lowers will help with buffeting
had a roadglide and lowers didnt change the air around my head

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I went back to the stock today since we should stay in the 70's now for a few weeks. I'll agree i'm spoiled by the Victory tall but I want some wind was well. Trying to decide on the 13" or 15" Cee Bailey. I just look under the top of the 17 factory and over if my posture is good.

I'm thinking 13" may be a little too short but 15" may be a little too tall.

·
Registered
410 Posts
redpin04 said:
I went back to the stock today since we should stay in the 70's now for a few weeks. I'll agree i'm spoiled by the Victory tall but I want some wind was well. Trying to decide on the 13" or 15" Cee Bailey. I just look under the top of the 17 factory and over if my posture is good.

I'm thinking 13" may be a little too short but 15" may be a little too tall.
they will make a custom size for you. if you want a 14" you'll have to pay for the 15 but they'll make you a 14. i did this with mine BUT, probably shouldnt have. i got a 12 instead of the 13. i'm happy with it and technically it is the perfect height. i just see over the shield BUT i think it would have been an even better ride if i had just gone with the 13. hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
mbc2237 said:
they will make a custom size for you. if you want a 14" you'll have to pay for the 15 but they'll make you a 14. i did this with mine BUT, probably shouldnt have. i got a 12 instead of the 13. i'm happy with it and technically it is the perfect height. i just see over the shield BUT i think it would have been an even better ride if i had just gone with the 13. hope that helps.
good information. thank you

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just installed the 15" yesterday. I really like the new protection, but need to get used to the height. I'm 5'11'' and the top line of the new shield is right in my view when sitting comfortably. So, I see why people are using 13'' and 17'' variations.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
jophez said:
Has anyone here tried a gustufson winshield yet? I have the 13" Cee Bailey but options are good.
http://www.bikescreen.com/index.html
All I did was buy a new helmet the other day and I'm getting dirty air again!? I'm now thinking of the hard lowers.
Bought the euroflip +4, i'm 5'7", my husband is 6' we both looked through it, didn't like it so we cut it down 2", perfect. The only air we feel is from below i think the wings should help. I have the midnight cherry, husband has the black both 2010 XC. LOVE this bike. i'm ordering the 2" tonight after i ride in the dark with the light smoke tint to be sure it doesn't get in the way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.