Jumper Cables | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Jumper Cables

Discussion in 'Discussions by Model' started by GaryinWI, Dec 20, 2013.

1. GaryinWI

GaryinWI Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Cross Country Tour
    I have a small collection of spl tools and parts (wire ties, fuses, duct tape, etc) that I keep on the bike all the time. Just read a post that mentioned jumper cables which caused me to think a little. We are quite screwed with a dead battery (my experiance with push starting my XCT is not good). Curious if anyone carries jumper cables and if so, where you got them.

2. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Well-Known Member

'12 Black XR

I don't have or carry them but one of the guys I ride with made his own set and carrys them with in case any of us need them. They got used twice this last riding season. Beats trying to push start a bike.

3. Pauljp

Pauljp Well-Known Member

2014 Cross County Tour

You don't need thick cables, I have seen tiny cables with a cigarette lighter plug at both ends, simply plug them into both bikes and wait 10 minutes or so, your battery will trickle charge from the running one and you can start your bike from your own battery.
    Takes up very little room and no worries of connecting backwards. They also sell them at Wal-Mart

You can also have a seperate female end of the plug going to some small alligator clips to connect directly to the battery if you don't have an outlet on your bike. Like these.

4. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium

I have a few SAE cables and ends that I can adjust to fit different needs. I can plug them into the cigarette plugs or change one end out with a two clamp end for bikes without a cigarette plug. I can also just use it as an extension for my air pump but the vision having a cigarette plug front and rear kinda puts a end to that need for me.

With the two items linked you would be able to charge a bike as long as one has a Battery Tender cable installed, which should be everybody. Or you could get the cigarette plug end or be like me and have both. I tend to over prepare.

5. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour

Justas soon as I finished reading this post topic I ordered a set of these cigarette jumper cables to carry in my saddle bags. Will it hurt your motor cycle battery if you plug one end into a cigarette lighter on a car to get your bike started?

6. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

You can but I have always been told to do it with the car not running.
    I have a buddy that did it with the car not running and it worked just fine.

7. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour

How long do you think it would take to get a bike running with a dead battery from a car with the engine not running?

8. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

If you come out of a bar to a dead bike I would say just a couple minutes if even that.
    If its a dead battery having been left off the battery tender for months I have no clue but I bet it would take a while.
    Im sure somebody can speak from experience soon.

9. mdouglas71

mdouglas71 New Member

2012 Victory Hammer

Wow. Seems pretty damn easy enough then..

10. MaddMax2u

MaddMax2u Member

2011 Vision 8 Ball

I carry a set in my wallet. Yep, you heard that correctly......my wallet. It's the exact same size as a credit card and fits in my wallet nicely. It has three big red letters on it that spell AAA. You just call the number and a guy comes and gives you a jump. Pretty cool!

11. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

I think not. I hate waiting for people. I think it much more cool to be able to pull out a little cable and jump my or a buddys bike and get on down the road. I like to be self sufficient with no outside help needed. You never know when your phone wont have service.

12. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour

Hmm, this got me thinking about an experience I ran into this summer. Was out riding with 3 other HD riders. One of the guys had his bike completely stall out and power down. Another HD rider was on a trike and he had cables with him. We hooked up the cables and the stalled bike wouldn't turn over at all and the head lamp wouldn't even light. The rider on the stalled bike said he knew his battery was iffy and likely wouldn't take a charge any more - hello why ride all the way from IL to MN if you have a jacked up battery? Anyway, we made a call to another guy who ended up running over in his cage and took the stalled out dude up to Walmart to purchase a replacement battery.

Later on that day the stalled out dude installed the new battery after charging it for a couple of hours (dude refused to pay the extra money for a fully charged battery) and the bike fired right up and all was well again. Personally I think buying a cheep battery from Walmart is only going to cause more problems down the road, but not my call and is another story all together.

Here's my question - Wold the same thing happen on a Victory? If the battery is toast and won't hold/take a charge, will jumper cables do any good? They certainly didn't do a bit of good on the HD, which was a late 80's model. I'm guessing our bikes would have the exact same problem - how are you going to run the fuel pump if the battery is toast and won't hold/take a charge?

13. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision

The idea of using a cigarette lighter style charger needs to be checked out carefully before you use it. Both of my HDs had the cigarette lighters wired backward. As a cigarette lighter it didn't matter but I was trying to use it to power my Garmin and it definitely didn't like reversed polarity.

14. DarksideX

DarksideX Active Member

2013 Cross Country

I think a shorted battery will kill the bike regardless what you're on. I know my VTX had a battery short and it wouldn't run even when jumped with a truck. Replaced the battery and was like new.