Judge or Kingpin? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Judge or Kingpin?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by blurat, Jan 16, 2021.

1. blurat

blurat New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Judge
    Hi, Im Im buying a used Victory soon. My last was a 2007 Kingpin. I had to be on my toes as I am 5'8"
    I want to be flat footed now as I dont think I could pick up the bike anymore if I drop as I am 70 years old. Havent riden in 10 years but no worries. I was looking at a Judge but cant seem to find anyone who likes them. Maybe a Vegas or 8 ball, judge is at 6500 to the Kingpin 7500.
    Thoughts?

2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    8 Ball is just a package. Blacked out items and little chrome. Several models came as a 8 Ball.

I've never had to worry about seat height so I don't have a good suggestion for you on that.

I would guess that picking either up would be about the same. I would say something with a motor guard would be best as if it does fall you shouldn't have to pick it up from being flat on the ground.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Maybe find one lowered or get the kit and have it done. That might help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. topcat

topcat Active Member

2011 Kingpin
    Boardwalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

2011 KP
    As you're not drawn to any one in particular go for the newest one you can lay your hands on. Lowering links will but the ground in range.

• Like Like x 1
  7. blurat

blurat New Member

Judge
    Thanks for the input. All good suggestions. Guess when I go test all the ones available I will see how it plays out. I remember the Kingpin was awkward at first but was awesome in 3 days.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    You'll know the right one when you find it. But if you're set on a Victory steel frame, IMHO, one of the best looking ones ever was a black/red Boardwalk. Add apes, a side dump two into one exhaust and chrome cast wheels.

I don't recall the exact details but I think the Judge got a bad rap due to the ergonomics with the handlebar and foot rest positions. I seem to remember Victory changed from forward to mid mount soon after the model came out. I do love those mag wheels as well. They were also used on the 2014 High Ball.

All the best to you sir,

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    The later model (10 up) steel frames have the narrow "low" seat. Vegas, Judge, KP, HB or Boardwalk should not be an issue to flat foot.

The 13 Judge has mid controls, the Boardwalk has forward controls equal to the KP you had.

Look for newest tires, peak inside the tank to check that the liner is intact. They're all great bikes.

Keeping the bike off of it's side is more about technique and balance than stature and strength. Keep you head square and your eye up when coming to a stop.

Keeping the bike vertically plumb is more important than getting both feet flat on the ground. If the road drops off on one side, the bike could have falling momentum before your lopw-side leg gets planted. You won't be able to stop that drop. Lesson I learned a long time ago. Keeping your legs tight to the bike helps if you encounter loose surfaces.

Spend a couple dollars and take a riders course to knock the rust off. Use ALL of the seat time to work on your mechanics, on the lighter bike.

Happy hunting,
    Stay safe

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    The Kingpin is my all time favorite bike, but the Judge is an awesome bike too. I second the comments on the later year’s Pin having the narrow seat and controls were moved back I think an inch or two. In addition to lowering links another option would be to have the seat redone, sculpted out with higher quality foam is an option I’ve heard very good reviews on. I’d also add that engine guard / crash bars keep the bike from going all the way over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JudgeRedd

JudgeRedd Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Judge
    14 Judge is way more comfortable with the pulled back bars and pushed up footpegs. Just a damn shame they were too lazy to figure out a way to accomplish that and keep at least some of the oval.

Not sure what your comment "not being able to find anyone who likes theirs" is about, but I would say that your search is over.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    2nd for Boardwalk, 25” for the seat... But Highball is lower.

66294210-8C8D-463C-B498-806B9D50B5B0.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. blacksheep1

blacksheep1 Active Member

2007 kingpin (sold)
    The narrow seat makes a big difference, Put one on my 07 kingpin after lowering it 1.25" and was still tip toe'd a bit because of the seat width, picked up a Vic touring seat for the low model that is advertised as being "scalloped" or narrower between the legs and it was a blessing for a short guy like me. Ended up being flat footed and knees were bent just a little which was a confidence booster on uneven pavement.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. blurat

blurat New Member

Judge
    I remember lowering my 07 Kingpin. It was the model with the trunk. My wife is 5'4"" and I let her "own" it for a while when I rode some other bike. She had foam removed from the seat but was on her toes. I didnt get on and try to see where I fit. I only dropped the bike once when I was backing out of the sloped driveway and forgot something. I put the side stand down but didnt hear it pop back up. Started leaning and got past the ballance point before realizing.
    Bottom line, from the well appreciated input, it is doable. Im going to Sac today and hopefully make a deal.
    Thanks again for the constructive input.

15. Daddio

Daddio Well-Known Member

'13 XCT Road-Grime Brown, '09 Buell XB12XT Ulysses, the faster black one
    Well??...