VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried "softening up" their JP ride by adjusting the preload spring?
I love the bike but would really like to soften up that ride. Man..........
Vic forums are a small group so it's hard to find info.
I also emailed Andy. This is part of what I asked...........
I've got an 09 Jackpot. I know I can't turn it into a Vision or Cross
> Country, but I'd like to soften up the damping a bit on it.
>
> My service mgr. said it can't be done?? OR that he's not recommend it.
>
> I also met another mechanic who put a 300 rear tire on his bike, and a
> Kingpin rim and tire on HIS JP. I would think the bigger rear tire "negates" the Kingpin rim helping anything out and maybe making steering harder.
But he's a young kid with a good spine. I'm
> a very immature 55. I don't want to take no for an answer.
>
> What if I put a kingpin rim and tire on along with my 250?
> Would that help the ride as well?
That was my questions for Andy.
I've also drooling over the new CC but haven't ridden one yet. I'm thinking 2 bikes = poor farm. LOL
I"m 55 with not so great of a lower back anymore but I love this bike. I've got the Lucky Lime and it's so beautiful..........
If the new CC had a wild paint scheme...........they don't offer one either. Not yet anyway. I really don't want to part with the JP.
Anyone got any ideas about improving the ride?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Get a penske shock from Conquest Customs.

I wouldn't soften up the stock shock much past what is recommended as you will risk bottoming out the tire on the fender and ripping wires out. As for different rims, I don't know. but I understand that switching to Metzlers instead of the dunlops improves the ride and handling as well.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Hey Zork,

As I stated in the email, this is not my area of expertise and hopefully someone with more skills in this area will chime-in with some good info.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have an '09 and I have taken the time to crank down the rear shock pre-load...it didnt make much of a difference as far as the ride goes. after saw that the rear footpeg mounting bolts were touching the frame under hard compression, i cranked the shock back up. In all honesty that is my only complaint about the Jackpot...the back suspension is very stiff., and I would consider an air shock in there if I had the money and time to spend on that kind of thing. Unitl then I will just live with what the awesome rear tire/wheel "pounds into me" :)

·
Registered
92 Posts

I too have heard the Penske shock softens the ride considerably, but it is spendy. I'veheard the air ride suspensions do not soften the ride. I am waiting to replace my stock rear with a Metzler,since that may also increase ride comfort.
Rowebote, do you have the Penske shock? Anybody?
Ken

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have just put a Metzler on my 08 Hammer, and it does seem to soften the ride a bit, I haven't put lots of miles on but the few I have seem a little better than the Dunlop. FYI

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Rowebote said:
Get a penske shock from Conquest Customs.

I wouldn't soften up the stock shock much past what is recommended as you will risk bottoming out the tire on the fender and ripping wires out. As for different rims, I don't know. but I understand that switching to Metzlers instead of the dunlops improves the ride and handling as well.
HeyRowebote,Thanks for the link,
I called him ( Steve / owner ) works on nothing but Victory and he makes a shock for you and your weight and you can also adjust it for a passenger yourself. He's a neat guy.
He alsoprovides the tool that you can stash on your bike. I didn't know we had a tool kit on it, LOL. Shock is around $740. I'm working on funds now to get one after talking with him. www.conquestcustoms.com. I don't wrench, so it will be costly but if you like your spine................
Tell him you talked to Brian Lawrence from Mass. I talked with him about some other ideas I have for the bike too.
I call this bike my "Call Girl". You want to keep it under wraps and buy shiny things for it.
I won't be getting this too soon, so if one of you money men gets one and trys it, please.........email me at [email protected].
Thanks for all your replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.