VOG Forum banner

Jackpot - pros, cons, trouble, recommendations for prospective buyer?

9040 31
G'day folks,
I currently have an 07Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic, but I fell in lust with the Jackpot. Is it the fat rear tire, or the paint & graphics, or the low stance, or..... ? The lime is luscious, and the tequila gold just about makes me cry.
Anyway, I have a dilemma: I own my Yammy and I've done a lot of performance mods to the engine and exhaust. I could now focus on cosmetic touches (stretch tank, fenders, slam kit, paint, etc) to the tune of around $6kor I could cave to my ego, go into debt again and get a 09 or 10 Jackpot. Egos are expensive.
My Yammy is around 600lbs, seat height 27 inches.It's a little longer than the JP with a smidge more ground clearance. The JP is 50lbs heavier, has a lower seat height, is overalla little lower - and of course has that big 250mm tire and the crazy steriod-induced engine. Mmmm, torque.
My only complaints about the Yammyare that the stock bar is too far forward (hurts my shoulders and elbows, but is easily fixed), and it's just "another one of thoselow, black non-descript cruisers with lots of chrome". I'm a woman, 5'5 and can flat-foot it easily, and it handles really well for me. I just don't have long arms.... :)
Wanted to ask JP owners the pros and cons for their bikes:
- What do you like?
- What do you dislike?
- What have you changed / modified on your JP and why?
- Any mechanical problems? I hear they're basically bullet-proof.
- What's the must-do mod you'd recommend doing first?
- Thinking of the Vic swept pipes. Any problems with heat or blueing?
- What's your mpg? My Star is getting around 45 mpg mainly highway.
- Are you thinking of selling your JP? If so why, and what would you buy?
- Any suggestions for a woman rider/prospective buyer?
Appreciate any input you can give. Scared to visit a dealer to check out the JP in person.... I'd likely sell my mother at that point to ride it home.
Jayne
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

I will answer the ones I can since I am not a JP owner..
Clutch Cable, replace it before it breaks.
The one that catches your eye first.
As long as they are the Victory brand they will have a full length heat shield so you will have no problems with blueing. I couldn't tell the difference in heat between the stock and swepts.
Low 40's on the Vegas.

·
Registered
398 Posts

- What do you like?
Looks, styling being different. Power, but power on all Vics are good
- What do you dislike?
No carrying capacity for luggage and such unless you add saddlebags and stuff which ruins the beautiful lines of the Jackpot, imo. I got around this with a Kewl Metal removable luggage rack for trips.
- What have you changed / modified on your JP and why?
Intake/Exhaust - mo power
Mirrors - got them cheap
Kewl MEtal bungee buttons and luggage rack - see above
Roadlok security - security
Grips - they look good
Going to add a horizontal sidemount for the license plate. I have it, just need to run the wires and install it.
Not for me
S&S intake and exhaust. Performance and looks. The S&S will get rid of that ugly plastic box up front.
Not sure but I there are better exhuasts out there than those. Look good sound good but poor performance in comparison to other exhaust. If you want swept, look at Conquest Customs offering or Santa Rosa Vee Twins.
Low 40s I guess, haven't figured it out exactly but just do a rough estimation in my head.
- Are you thinking of selling your JP? If so why, and what would you buy?
If I hadn't bought my Jackpot in May I would be getting a Cross Country. Not making a change any time soon though
- Any suggestions for a woman rider/prospective buyer?
The big tire will make your butt look smaller ;) Seriously though, if you have experience riding you won't have any issues on the Jackpot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the great input dsjr, stilcrazee and Rowebote. Appreciate it!
The tip on the Kewl Metal luggage rack is a good one - it was one of my concerns about where to put stuff on overnights.
Rowebote said:
Not sure but I there are better exhuasts out there than those. Look good sound good but poor performance in comparison to other exhaust. If you want swept, look at Conquest Customs offering or Santa Rosa Vee Twins.
Agree the swept look good - but heard the Ness swept were W-A-Y too loud, the Vics were louder than stock, but not too loud. Any input on how loud the Conquest Customs or Santa Rosa Vee Twins are? I like bark, but not obnoxious. Don't want any tickets or permanent hearing loss. :)
Oh - hadn't thought about the fatty tire making my butt look smaller. I guess I won't have to ask 'Does this bike make my butt look big?" ROFL
Thanks!
Jayne

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Conquest Custom ones are going to be loud. I'm not sure about the SRVT ones, I believe you can add/remove baffles in them to quiet them down. Like most pipes none are going to be too loud at idle or normal acceleration, but if you go WOT, the will make some noise!

Here's a clip of the SRVT Aces, thevmc has a nice thread with mp3 and videos of different exhaust if you want to hear them.

·
Registered
165 Posts

To chime in on the Ness pipes, I have just put them on my Hammer, they have completly changed the look and sound of them. They don't seem too loud at all actually, comparing to the vic swepts, they are only slightly louder than the swept pipes now.
The hammer also has the BIG rear tire so I thought I would give my 2 cents
I have added the vic removable windsheild and saddle bags. When I go out of town it takes literally 3-5 minutes and I have a different bike!! Well worth the extra money.
The handling of a bike with a bigger tire is much different than a standard bike so you may want to test ride one. You need to countersteer much more to compensate for the big tire wanted to stand the bike up in the corners. Once you get used to it you will be scraping the pegs in the corners in no time!!
GOOD LUCK!! ride safe

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oh yeah, the windsheild! It sucks not having one, since you take the full brunt of the wind and bugs. I've thought of adding a smaller memphis shields one for trips but I have spent my $ elsewhere!

Btw, if you want to see some pics of the Kewl Metal, take a look at my profile, I have some pics with it on. I use a Kuryaken Gran Tour on the passanger seat then I can use the rack itself for another bag, gear, whatever. For a longer grip I could easily add a large T-bag to it. plus it comes off in minutes.

Another thing, I see you said you felt the bars were a little far forward on the Yamaha, you may want to get the 2" pull back bars from Vic or call up SRVT and they can custom make you any set of bars you want.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

I had the Ness pipes and the Vic swepts on. The Ness are only about 10db higher at idle but almost 45db higher at WOT. But I really did like the sound from the Ness, it was almost evil sounding.
The Ness pipesdid discolor at the first turn on both front and rear pipes and then again on the second bend on the rear pipe. The biggest problem I had was when I was trying to work through the popping issue that some of us had experienced, the Ness pipes do not pop, it's more like a howitzer under your seat. Also, without the full heat shield it was noticably hotter on my leg then the stock set-up. Living in Florida I don't need any extra heat.
My personal preferance on pipes is one with a full heat shield not really for the heat but I don't like the blue copper coating that they turn after awhile.
I do put the Memphis Shades on my Vegas with the quick release and have no complaints. I bought them becauseit was cheap (relatively speaking) and have never taken it off.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Being a Jp owner must admit I love the bike. Have done a lot of changes to make it the way I want it to look. But am not even close to finishing. From paint to pegs. I have the vic swept pipes and really like them they sound great and have a full heat shield so the look the same as it did when I took it off the dealership floor. MPG I dont keep track so could not give you a proper amount but 40 or so seemsin the ball park. I also have not had any problemswith motor or any other part of bike. No thoughts of selling bike would buy it again if I was going to do it all over. Suggestions for a woman rider. Wouldbe the foot controls and the bars may need to be brought in closer to you. Not because your a woman, but because of your height. And don`t go to the dealer to see them because they look better in person. You might end up selling your soul to get one.Best of luck to you you will enjoy it if decide to get one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks so much for the input everyone! I especially appreciate the information about the pipes,the handling and bars / controls. I definitely think I'm in trouble if I go sit on one. Have to leave my credit cards at home....

·
Registered
583 Posts

I was lucky to have just lost the acorn nut and a washer. Finding that will be a challenge.... of course its almost September in Canada so that means it'll be snowing soon so I'll have all winter to search.
Lemme know how those work out.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Greetings and welcome!
I have an '07 Jackpot, yellow with extreme graphics. I love that bike. It runs great, handles well, sounds great, and oooohhh is it sexy! Many complete strangers comment on what a hot ride it is. I have Kuryakin flame grips, some Victory Stiletto foot pegs, a Victory solo seat. Buy one, you won't regret it. That big tire is easy to adjust to, and again oooohhh so sexy! I have pictures posted on my profile if you care to take a look. If you get your Jackpot be sure to post some shots so we can share in your joy. Take care, and ride safe.
Vaya con Dios...

·
Registered
44 Posts
i don't have a jackpot but i have a vegas and a v-star i can tell you they're like night and day measured seat height has nothing to do with how the bikes feel at a stop the vegas is much wider where your legs come together and having the exhaust and drive on the same side spreads you a little wider still so the v-star feels way lower that being said once your moving the vic makes the v-star seem like a slug in every way from acceleration to cornering the only thing the v-star has over the vic is braking but who wants to stop right

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the longer arm on the clutch (where the lower end of the cable fits) and its superb, the clutch is really smooth and is easier for small hands than stock. It is in fact easier than the hydraulic cluth on the vegas low premium. it was my first change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks everyone for your advice and input! I went to a local dealership today, and not only did they have no 2010s (but I don't think anyone has them yet?), there were no 2009s. Closest was a 2008 Premium Jackpot in red with graphics. They're asking $16,300 - and it's an ex-demo with 1,000 miles on it. (At this point I'm thinking they're nuts, wanting that much for basically a used bike). At least it confirmed that I want a 2009 or 2010 with the 106 engine. But I did sit on the 2008 and the seat is nice, the pegs feel good - not too much of a stretch, and the handlebars seem a little closer to me than my V Star 1100. It was sitting in a special shipping box, so I couldn't tell if I could put my feet down flat - but it'll be close. Dizmodeous you're right - it did seem wider than my Star, and the Star feels lower.

Funny thing is, as I'm checking out the Jackpots, a heavy-set guy walks past and grunts 'Yeah, well they're no Harley...' I smiled sweetly at him and said 'Yes, I know that. That's why I'm here looking at them and not at the Harley dealership.' Geez, I wonder what he'd think of my Japanese cruiser? LOL

Gurleyman - I can't believe your luck, trying to love a Raider and a Jackpot is sitting next to your truck when you get back from your test drive. I guess it was meant to be. :) Thanks for the advice about the rear tire - I must admit I'm a little anxious about it, but wow - it's one cool ride.

We've got the word out to dealerships that we're interested in the 2010 in tequila gold. We'll see what happens.

Thanks!

Jayne

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.