VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing the trunk I was getting irritated by the distortion in the front speakers at volume, so I went for a pair of J&M direct replacements.

Out of the box the J&Ms weren't impressive, and I'm thinking, "This is what you get for $80, what did you expect?"

Since the magnet was bigger and the cone seemed better quality I did the install.

If you are a touch PTSD and can't stand much distortion they are well worth it.

If I did it again I'd custom fit a higher end pair, but for under one hundred they are worth the effort.

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nessie044 said:
KG:
I know J&M claims you can turn the Vision's stock stereo up to full volume without distortion with these speakers. Is that true? Have you noticed any loss in volume at lower settings? How long did it take to do the install?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Nessie,

I had them up to 26 of 30 and they still sounded OK, but keep in mind I have a significant db loss in my left ear (10+ db @ 2k & 20k I think) so my opinion is tainted.
Also, I'm running with a backrest vs the trunk.

It took me 45 minutes or so, but that included the 10 minutes of cussing when i broke the two bottom lock down tabs off the gauge bezel.

Outside of being WAAAYY clumsy and strong, the only delicate maneuver is putting back the two 10mm bolts through the back of the mirror. My wife/navigator/backrest/onboard massager(with tiny hands)stopped mowing the lawn long enough to help with those.

You rich Arlen bike owners do your own wrenching? It's a tragedy!

Anyhow, plan for an hour and it was worth the money, but if I was riding the trunk i would at least do all four or maybe custom fit a higher grade alpine or blaupunkt.

good luck, Let me know how it turns out.

KG

·
Registered
4,468 Posts

did you put the bike on it's tip overs to install? :)
Man you got the Vic Sick bad. Love to see it, love the bike!!!

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bubba said:
Bubba,

Is there any reason to NOT keep leaning while on this bike in a curve???
OMG, I love the way this thing handles!!!!

Has anybody installed roller bearings on the TOs and just kept leaning till it was riding on them?

This ride is such a departure from my norm that I'm starting to get obsessed with it,,,just a little,,,,,,,is there a rehab for Vision Impairment?

KG

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
keithgrey said:
bubba said:
Bubba,

Is there any reason to NOT keep leaning while on this bike in a curve???
OMG, I love the way this thing handles!!!!

Has anybody installed roller bearings on the TOs and just kept leaning till it was riding on them?

This ride is such a departure from my norm that I'm starting to get obsessed with it,,,just a little,,,,,,,is there a rehab for Vision Impairment?

KG
Nope, it never stops. When you can not buy nothing else forthe Vision, you will have to buy another bike. I am guessing a KP!!! :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am a musician so I am a bit of an audio snob. The speakers on the Cross Country frankly suck. I just came from my car stereo shop. After consulting my guy, he said that they sell a ton of Infinity speakers as replacements for factory speakers because Infinity makes a really good quality 5 1/4" 2 ohm speaker. He said these will blow the J&M speakers away and cost the same. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. These Infinity speakers have built in switchable cross over (nice little feature.) The model# is 5032cf. They cost me $80 bucks. I will let you know how they sound in a day or two.

The other thing we talked about was and in line amp system. Most would require a separate amp and line level piece of hardware. He told me Alpine makes really nice 50W per channel amp that has line level management built into it so it's easy to install and adjust it for optimal sound. He was out of stock but I will update you on the status of that in about a week.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nessie44: I've had the J & M's speakers installed right after I purchased my 08 Vision. And, yes, you can turn them "all the way up"without a lot of distortion. They sound GOODat high volumes - plus they werecomparativelycheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just recieved my pair of Jm speakers and am installing tonite....I took my trunk off once but that was quickly reversed when my woman accused me of not wanting her to ride with me....lol...what can I say she loves it.....im also considering a communication system but I want one to integrate thru the factory equipment. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
92 Posts
Am running a Hawg Wired amp and speaker system and loving it! Very small DC amp allow for easy placement and no distortion, Bit expensive, but, that's the price for decent sound. Here is their website:
http://www.hawg-wired.com/

Good luck with yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.