VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this could be a fun thread. It kind of falls in line with the 'Video of the Day' thread. This can be the thread on they're out there and they vote kind if thing or smh thread. I kid you not I saw this today while at work and had to share this. How would you like to be on your two wheeled steed and see this in front of you?!

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Grille

This was taken on St. Charles Rd and York Rd in Elmhurst IL. @roadcouch beware!!!

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Lol! I still remember my first time on the road with a stick shift and coming to an intersection on an incline and thinking oh **** oh ****, as I waited for the light to turn green and cars were starting to gather behind me.... good times.
I was a pro at the 'three on the tree" by 10 years old. Never drove an automatic transmission vehicle until I was 16.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was 9 when mom and dad taught me how to drive manual. It was a '71 Toyota FJ40 with no power steering. now, that was a work out.

Reactions: BoilerMan

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Opposite for me. Different generations.
Whoa son! My first three vehicles were all stick. We did have a Ram Charger for our ranch that was auto but it never hit the road.

My first was a 59 Chevy Apache, three on the tree with the starter on the floor. There was this one hill in town it liked to die and since the parking brake didn't work I mastered the pressing of four pedals with two feet.

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Operating farm equipment at 8 or 9... 5-speed dirt bikes at 11... No stranger to clutches and shifters.
Yep. The tractor I used in our pasture was a 1950s MF. Shifting that thing took finesse. We started it with a screwdriver and one day though it felt like it was in neutral when I hit the starter it jumped forward hitting the barn wall. Luckily I was inside the barn so it didn't run me over. Great times!

Reactions: Half_Crazy

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Yep. The tractor I used in our pasture was a 1950s MF. Shifting that thing took finesse. We started it with a screwdriver and one day though it felt like it was in neutral when I hit the starter it jumped forward hitting the barn wall. Luckily I was inside the barn so it didn't run me over. Great times!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Dirt bikes since I was 6. I was shifting for my parents before that in our 1971 Olds Cutlas 350 4 speed. Grandpa had an old Chevy Luv pick up he use to let me drive around his farm. Then there was the farm equipment shortly after that. I was driving the tandem axle grain truck to and from the fields by the time I was 11. I probably had 6 or 7 years of driving expierence on the old country black tops by the time I got my license.

It is getting more difficult to find vehicles with manual transmissions any more. Even ones that should have them don't. Try finding a manual sports car, or a Jeep with a manual. You can get them, but you will probably have to special order it. If not, consider yourself lucky if you find one on the lot. I can't believe what this world is coming to. What's next, electric bikes and motorcycles with paddle shift transmissions?

Oh... wait...

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Dirt bikes since I was 6. I was shifting for my parents before that in our 1971 Olds Cutlas 350 4 speed. Grandpa had an old Chevy Luv pick up he use to let me drive around his farm. Then there was the farm equipment shortly after that. I was driving the tandem axle grain truck to and from the fields by the time I was 11. I probably had 6 or 7 years of driving expierence on the old country black tops by the time I got my license.

It is getting more difficult to find vehicles with manual transmissions any more. Even ones that should have them don't. Try finding a manual sports car, or a Jeep with a manual. You can get them, but you will probably have to special order it. If not, consider yourself lucky if you find one on the lot. I can't believe what this world is coming to. What's next, electric bikes and motorcycles with paddle shift transmissions?

Oh... wait...
A lot of my friends grew up on quads and dirt bikes. I went to a pretty country school. I'll always regret not getting into it sooner, but we never had the money, so I had no say in it. Just started on 2 wheels 3 or 4 years ago.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
It is getting more difficult to find vehicles with manual transmissions any more. Even ones that should have them don't.
Tell me about it... Puss won't drive an automatic and most cars these days don't even offer a manual option. She needs a mid-size SUV... try finding one with a stick in it.

Most cars that do offer a manual only offer it in a certain trim level... the one she doesn't want... or they only offer the manual with the smallest base engine. It's frustrating.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I thought this could be a fun thread. It kind of falls in line with the 'Video of the Day' thread. This can be the thread on they're out there and they vote kind if thing or smh thread. I kid you not I saw this today while at work and had to share this. How would you like to be on your two wheeled steed and see this in front of you?!

View attachment 444793

This was taken on St. Charles Rd and York Rd in Elmhurst IL. @roadcouch beware!!!
This sticker is secretly put on all manual cars, manditory, to prepair and remind all milenials the danger of manual cars,

Soon only automatics & google cars can be bought & allowed on the road in nanie country .... Victorys will be SHOT by the police ....

End of tomato bubble message

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I was looking at an Audi TT for the wife and took one for a test drive. The salesman asked if I can drive a stick and I said well of course. He asked really?? It took me back a little and I said well yeah I can drive a stick but I haven't driven one in years. I guess he wasn't expecting me to be able to or something because he was really watching me as I started it up. He actually seemed surprised when we were driving it out of the parking lot. Now I'm a little aggravated at this point so when I reached the next street I floored it running through the gears lol. He didn't like that lol.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
If asked that by some punk-ass, look him in the eye and say, "Better than you".
He was an older gentleman. I guess he thought I was too young to know how to drive it. But good grief I was 36 at the time and I don't look young for my age lol.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.