VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I turn 76 in a month and I've been invited to join 4 other guys on a long ride from Massachusetts to Sturgis. I've dreamed of Sturgis for a while and it looks like it's finally gonna happen.

I'm in excellent health and go to the gym a couple of times a week. I'm more than a casual rider having logged over 200,000 miles on 2 Vics over the past 12 years. I used to do frequent multiple-day rides from Mass to Key West, Daytona Rally, Myrtle Beach Rally, Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Upstate N.Y. through Adirondack Park, Fort Kent Me. (northernmost point on Rte 1), Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia, etc.

I lost the fire in my belly for those kinds of rides and haven't done an "overnighter" in about 2 or 3 years now. I still do a couple of 250/300-mile day trips per week. I probably know what I should do to prepare and execute the long haul to Sturgis and back (over 2 weeks) but, I'm not too old to learn some new tricks. I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions some of you "long haulers" might have to add to my past experiences and get the most out of my trip. Fyi, I'm not interested in the Rally so much. I just have dreamed of riding in that part of the country with all the scenic beauty.
Thanks in advance. 🏍👨‍🦳

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'll probably get some flack for this but I think I'd trailer most the way. It's 1800 miles to and from. I'd trailer to say around Mitchell SD, leave the truck in a storage lot and ride the bike from there. From Mitchell you can head north to Hwy-34 and take it all the way to Sturgis. On the way back I-90 to see Badlands, Wall etc.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
@marlake, nothing but respect and admiration for your activity and this thread. You already know what to do and to take with you. So my only suggestion will be a credit card with room on it because ’stuff happens’.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll probably get some flack for this but I think I'd trailer most the way. It's 1800 miles to and from. I'd trailer to say around Mitchell SD, leave the truck in a storage lot and ride the bike from there. From Mitchell you can head north to Hwy-34 and take it all the way to Sturgis. On the way back I-90 to see Badlands, Wall etc.
Here’s some flack for ya….your advice is like an old lady warning everyone to do nothing cause bad things can happen 🤠

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Well, I turn 76 in a month and I've been invited to join 4 other guys on a long ride from Massachusetts to Sturgis. I've dreamed of Sturgis for a while and it looks like it's finally gonna happen.
I'm in excellent health and go to the gym a couple times a week. I'm more than a casual rider having logged over 200,000 miles on 2 Vics over the past 12 years. I used to do frequent multiple day rides from Mass to Key West, Daytona Rally, Myrtle Beach Rally,
Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Upstate N.Y. through Adirondack Park, Fort Kent Me. (northern most point on Rte 1), Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia etc.
I lost the fire in my belly for those kind of rides and haven't done an "overnighter" in about 2 or 3 years now. I still do a couple 250/300 mile day trips per week.
I probably know what I should do to prepare and execute the long haul to Sturgis and back (over 2 weeks) but, I'm not too old to learn some new tricks.
I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions some of you "long haulers" might have to add to my past experiences and get the most out of my trip.
Fyi, I'm not interested in the Rally so much. Just have dreamed of riding in that part of the country with all the scenic beauty.
Thanks in advance. 🏍👨‍🦳
You're a God in my eyes. I turned 65 and every year our large group finds a different state to head off too. Riding over 250 miles a day is starting to wear on me and you're 76 so WOW!! I work out 4 days a week and stay in shape but 400-600 mile days are no longer in my riding future. If you ride all the way just take your time. It's not a race and enjoy the scenery. 10 hours of blazing down the interstate is not enjoyable. I'd take the road less traveled. If you're like me and retired, time is on your side. In other words take your time.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I turn 74 this September. My fear is having to eventually hand the key to the new owner of the CCT that I just love. It's an extension of my personality.

I've been to the Sturgis Rally five times, the last one in 2005. Enjoyed the ride there and back and the riding in the area. The people watching and food are great. If you don't have a cooling vest as yet, buy one. They're around $50 (H-D dealers have them, just remove the labels!), soak them overnight, put them in a plastic grocery bag and once the day turns hot, put it on (best under a mesh jacket to keep the rate of drying out slower) and it's literally air conditioning! Re-soak at fuel stops. Stay hydrated, the midwest is hot. For bikers, it's Mecca so we should visit at least once in our life. Enjoy your vacation.

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
@lou8700 ..YO LOU, no flack from me 😁 .
Last 2 years I've been going down to Murphy, NC, been going for over 10 years now, and stayed at Days Inn. I've been trailering, usually drive straight thru, gives me extra day before vacation start and at end. (see below, might start riding there again, not trailer) It's 818 miles my door to there. I've ridden about every route there, will NOT ride slab, and would rather get down there faster, so I've gone by slab/ trailer.
I found new place to rent, last month, and saved $135 for 2 weeks not staying at my usual, Days Inn, because they raised price. A cabin, quiet AND on a river: RIVER COVE CABINS, think there's 7 to choose from, about 5 miles west of Murphy. Gave me an introductory cash price, no receipt, new owner and just bought place. Love it, came back home from there 3 weeks ago, and heading back down for 10+ days the 24th, for my 6th time so far this year.(y)(I warned MOUNTAINRIDER I'd be bugging him more this summer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)
YOU and I KNOW MY/OUR reason....the FAMOUS MOUNTAINRIDER and wife DEB, and will add Randy, Karol, Pastor Justin, his Dad and another Pastor, TY, from his church and a few others. Besides them, of all places, many motorcycle roads over the USA and loved them all, down there in the Smokies my fav roads besides the company of listed friends.

NOTE: Job I've been doing is just added income, for trips mostly. BUT, been thinking last few days, at 72 and in good health for me and wife...which loves motorcycle trips as much as me, maybe more... After I talk with her, I'm thinking take a few months off, even though boss let's me leave anytime I want. IF same job not available, he hires replacement, after the time off....so be it, guess meant to be for ME/US to really start living the DREAM....ride/travel at will:cool:

Maybe you can get the time to come over and ride with us. as we've done before. This trip I plan, as of now, to be there the 24th till Aug 1st. Maybe more, depending on discussion with wife 😁 I'll let you know when going...and other trips to if interested.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
@lou8700 ..YO LOU, no flack from me 😁 .
Last 2 years I've been going down to Murphy, NC, been going for over 10 years now, and stayed at Days Inn. I've been trailering, usually drive straight thru, gives me extra day before vacation start and at end. (see below, might start riding there again, not trailer) It's 818 miles my door to there. I've ridden about every route there, will NOT ride slab, and would rather get down there faster, so I've gone by slab/ trailer.
I found new place to rent, last month, and saved $135 for 2 weeks not staying at my usual, Days Inn, because they raised price. A cabin, quiet AND on a river: RIVER COVE CABINS, think there's 7 to choose from, about 5 miles west of Murphy. Gave me an introductory cash price, no receipt, new owner and just bought place. Love it, came back home from there 3 weeks ago, and heading back down for 10+ days the 24th, for my 6th time so far this year.(y)(I warned MOUNTAINRIDER I'd be bugging him more this summer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)
YOU and I KNOW MY/OUR reason....the FAMOUS MOUNTAINRIDER and wife DEB, and will add Randy, Karol, Pastor Justin, his Dad and another Pastor, TY, from his church and a few others. Besides them, of all places, many motorcycle roads over the USA and loved them all, down there in the Smokies my fav roads besides the company of listed friends.

NOTE: Job I've been doing is just added income, for trips mostly. BUT, been thinking last few days, at 72 and in good health for me and wife...which loves motorcycle trips as much as me, maybe more... After I talk with her, I'm thinking take a few months off, even though boss let's me leave anytime I want. IF same job not available, he hires replacement, after the time off....so be it, guess meant to be for ME/US to really start living the DREAM....ride/travel at will:cool:

Maybe you can get the time to come over and ride with us. as we've done before. This trip I plan, as of now, to be there the 24th till Aug 1st. Maybe more, depending on discussion with wife 😁 I'll let you know when going...and other trips to if interested.
Thanks for the invite but I'll be in Minnesota then with our RV for a month. I might be headed either to Mountainrider area or Colorado in late August early September. Good to hear you're giving up work for more time on the bike. It's about time, You deserve it!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Always remember: Some people own motorcycles - Some people Ride motorcycles. Get on turn off the radios and ride!!! You AS ALWAYS will see more, enjoy every mile, remember longer the good and bad about the trip, ETC>etc.etc,

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
@1 MEAN66 ..Like your logic BUT, I've been riding since 12..72 now...ride #'s 23 and 24 (2016 CCT and 2016 VEGAS) of motorcycles I've owned. Had a 2014 CC 8-Ball, but met it's demise with 72,000+miles on it, in 3 years. ALL after the 5th one have had over 50,000 on them when sold, except a sportster...POS, sold in less then 2 months and less then 4000 miles. Every MFG except BMW. 12 at one dealer, plus a snowmobile. Loved all but one, but do the math on how many miles I've ridden, I'm to lazy to BUT have GREAT memories. Wife and I, in 7 years, have been to all states but Upper New York, Vermont and Maine. Leaving mid August to do...retired, so have plenty of time...and added miles. Had planned Alaska this summer, BUT NO JAB for me, I'll wait till not required.:cool:

You missed my point, and I wrote that before I retired yesterday. I've been using trailer because I've ridden about every route down to Murphy, some more then once. (NEVER rode slab). My trips there were 10-12 days because of job and by using trailer and driving straight thru I gained a day before and at end to RIDE.

Now that retired, and I'm going back down this Friday the 22nd, I'm using trailer again. My reasoning, I saw a few bikes I liked down there, seller a little high, so this time will have cash in hand, for hopefully MY price, and will have trailer to bring back. @zingpow will be proud of me (y)

NOTE: I'll be there 2-3 weeks, anyone that can join PM me.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
My buds are leaving this Friday for Sturgis. They will ride the whole trip from South Florida. To sturgis for the rally then off to cross the country over to the Pacific coast. Ride the PC highway….( my dream ). Then make their way back to Florida with plenty of rides and sights along the way. Truly an adventure I wish I could take with them. I was begged to go but won’t leave my wife for 6 weeks and can’t leave my business for that long. Plus I’m feeling the start of Carpel tunnel now in my throttle hand. Last year was my clutch hand and the surgery kept me off my ride for 4 weeks.
They are retired and I’m not. They are all not married and I am. The day will come for me and likely my bride will be right be hind me. Still nothing like a trip with your brothers to give the memories of a life time. Gonna be boring around here for a while.
you guys that are planning these adventures plan for what works for you. Trailer or not. Be great full that your blessed enough with health and your Vision to do these great trips. Me I’m thinking Toy hauler. For the times I can’t make a long ride. There’s plenty of options. Just get out and do it before you can’t !!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My buds are leaving this Friday for Sturgis. They will ride the whole trip from South Florida. To sturgis for the rally then off to cross the country over to the Pacific coast. Ride the PC highway….( my dream ). Then make their way back to Florida with plenty of rides and sights along the way. Truly an adventure I wish I could take with them. I was begged to go but won’t leave my wife for 6 weeks and can’t leave my business for that long. Plus I’m feeling the start of Carpel tunnel now in my throttle hand. Last year was my clutch hand and the surgery kept me off my ride for 4 weeks.
They are retired and I’m not. They are all not married and I am. The day will come for me and likely my bride will be right be hind me. Still nothing like a trip with your brothers to give the memories of a life time. Gonna be boring around here for a while.
you guys that are planning these adventures plan for what works for you. Trailer or not. Be great full that your blessed enough with health and your Vision to do these great trips. Me I’m thinking Toy hauler. For the times I can’t make a long ride. There’s plenty of options. Just get out and do it before you can’t !!
I totally agree with you, "Just get out and do it before you can't." Never look back and say, I wish I had done........ Just get out and do it. I respect you for not leaving your other half for that long. I did plenty of combat deployments before I retired, it never gets easy saying goodbye. Now my other half, my best friend and I are side by side every day. Life it great.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
nothing like a trip with your brothers to give the memories
Until it’s 10:30 pm, your 9 beers deep & you wanna snuggle with empty testicles

·
Registered
12,864 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
^^^^^ My response was to reenforce our reasoning for bringing our wives along on very long trips , not to infer that getting drunk and banging your buddy is ok......unless you’re that kind of buddies butt ( gigititties ) who you bang isn’t in my concerns......that reminds me, anyone want to go camping?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I’ll keep it short. You want to enjoy this ride then don’t do anymore miles then you can do comfortably in a day. With enough left over in you to enjoy the end of it also. Only you can decide what that is for you. Otherwise you will make it a job and take the joy right out of it. Good luck to you and Roll safe also I hope you like crowds and over the top pricing for everything. I’ve always said everyone should go to the show at least once so go for it

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
You're a God in my eyes. I turned 65 and every year our large group finds a different state to head off too. Riding over 250 miles a day is starting to wear on me and you're 76 so WOW!! I work out 4 days a week and stay in shape but 400-600 mile days are no longer in my riding future. If you ride all the way just take your time. It's not a race and enjoy the scenery. 10 hours of blazing down the interstate is not enjoyable. I'd take the road less traveled. If you're like me and retired, time is on your side. In other words take your time.
even arlen ness used to say make it an enjoyable trip. its all about the journey. do 300, 350 mile days. dont over extend yourself its not an endurance course. the object is to be enjoyable. a vacaton!

·
Registered
668 Posts
@1 MEAN66 ..Like your logic BUT, I've been riding since 12..72 now...ride #'s 23 and 24 (2016 CCT and 2016 VEGAS) of motorcycles I've owned. Had a 2014 CC 8-Ball, but met it's demise with 72,000+miles on it, in 3 years. ALL after the 5th one have had over 50,000 on them when sold, except a sportster...POS, sold in less then 2 months and less then 4000 miles. Every MFG except BMW. 12 at one dealer, plus a snowmobile. Loved all but one, but do the math on how many miles I've ridden, I'm to lazy to BUT have GREAT memories. Wife and I, in 7 years, have been to all states but Upper New York, Vermont and Maine. Leaving mid August to do...retired, so have plenty of time...and added miles. Had planned Alaska this summer, BUT NO JAB for me, I'll wait till not required.:cool:

You missed my point, and I wrote that before I retired yesterday. I've been using trailer because I've ridden about every route down to Murphy, some more then once. (NEVER rode slab). My trips there were 10-12 days because of job and by using trailer and driving straight thru I gained a day before and at end to RIDE.

Now that retired, and I'm going back down this Friday the 22nd, I'm using trailer again. My reasoning, I saw a few bikes I liked down there, seller a little high, so this time will have cash in hand, for hopefully MY price, and will have trailer to bring back. @zingpow will be proud of me (y)

NOTE: I'll be there 2-3 weeks, anyone that can join PM me.
What I rote was not specific to you but to all that answered. It doesn't make any difference how many miles are ridden in a day (unless of course it is a challange you gave yourself) but that you just ride. If places that all have driven to are getting to far - due to what ever reason- try a spot you have never been to. Rebecca and I do not ride to "places" but to new country (here in the USA) just to get up each day, ride till 10AM or so, find a local eatery ( never a chain (except Waffle House or only Chain place).get back on and about 1-2 PM start back in the direction of sleep spot. We also no longer tent! Our favorite area is Potter/Tioga Counties in PA. Just keep riding-you can always hang a chair on the bike! Hell @ 73 Dad (Mom was 2-3 years older) would leave in Oct. come back in April pulling a 18 cu.ft.CycleKamp cargo trailer with all their camping stuff inside. If they did not feel like it the moteled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts