VOG Forum banner

Its Canuck Day!!!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Clubford00 
#1 ·
Have a good ride out there today all you Canucks !!
In a few more days it US Day 4th so have a great one then to.
And don't burn your dame fingers on the matches lighting the fireworks and fire crackers!
poptop

#2 ·
Happy Canada Day to all our northern Brothers and Sisters!! Enjoy your day!

#3 ·

Well Happy Canada Day!!
To better educate my ignorant Yankee arse, could someone explain the term Canuck?
It isnt one of those P.C. terms that you can call yourselfbut we cant is it? :) Dont want offend anyone in this thin skinned world.

#4 ·
twstdcain said:
Well Happy Canada Day!!
To better educate my ignorant Yankee arse, could someone explain the term Canuck?
It isnt one of those P.C. terms that you can call yourselfbut we cant is it? :) Dont want offend anyone in this thin skinned world.
No offence taken, wesay Canucks like yousay Yanks. Quite honestly though I really don't know where the term originated.

#6 ·
Well as far as I am concerned its simply a reference to us notb.
Im happy to be called a canuck.
Also used in terms such as canuck bucks to identify our colorful exchange.
todeleeedooo from potop the canuck

#9 ·

Thanks guys and whereI am we even have fantastic weather today, it is one of those post card days that is supposed to make up for winter. I going to take it in and love it.
Thanks to our friends south of the 49th.

#10 ·
Canuk? I don't know, but I believe the term is old. I picked this up from Wikipedia. Looks like we owe our American Friends our thanks for this term.....
'
According to Bart Bandy''s Lexicon of Canadian Etymology (Don Mills, Ont., C. Farquharson, 1994), the term evolved from theFrenchwordcanulearound the time of theAmerican Revolution, but its path of evolution is still not clear. The most likely possibility is that it rose from a mispronunciation among Benedict Arnold's forces as they laid siege to Quebec in the winter of 1776. According to Bandy, the comte de Theleme-Menteuse was one of the locals captured by the Americans. In his Contes bizarre d'Isle d'Orleans, the latter says that the Americans picked up the common phrase "Quelle canule," but they were usually shivering so hard when they said it that it came out with the "l" hardened into a glottal stop - thence a "k."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.