VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An acquaintance of mine was riding to Sturgis with his wife and some friends on July 31 when a strange meteorological phenomena occurred. Rain suddenly turned to hail in southern Alberta and they were stopped in their tracks.

View attachment 493653

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well...…………...that'll make your day interesting. :icon_eek:

How long were they stuck there?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Holy crap. I've been caught in hail before but it's the summertime tornado kind of hail we get in the south. That **** HURTS, and it's nowhere near as much as that. I'll bet that was a heck of a situation to be in. Glad it didn't wreck them.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
CORRECTION: it was snow not hail. Don’t know how long they were stranded on the highway. Freak of nature in the middle of summer. Snow out of no where. Forecast for 35C there later this week. Go figure.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm in Alberta. Heard from friends at Pincher it was 6 inches deep of hail there that day. Got about an inch further north. Hail not snow. The amount at Pincher was a bit unusual but we often get hail in the summer. Lots of average 68-70 degree days then we get a 3 to 5 day blast of 80+ and we know thunderstorm are pretty likely with a good chance of hail. We had 3 yrs with devastating hail in a row here. Damaged cars, destroyed siding on tons of houses.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I was on the 401 in Toronto and it hailed so bad the road turned white. That was one spooky trip.
If you try and ride through it you will crash. If pull over some one else will take you out.... nasty...

·
Registered
960 Posts
I zipped in to the dealer quickly last friday afternoon after finding out my replacement fender close out was in. Rain was forecast but not for 4 hrs later so I just threw on a light hoody, casual work shoes. It was warm, sun was out, 40 minute ride. Normally I'd grab my leather jacket, high top workboots. Wouldn't you know it. Started raining pretty much the moment I left the dealership and its 330pm in Calgary which means rush hour traffic at 10 mph crawl. So I drive the shoulder to the nearest exit, which I never do but to hell with it. Was soaked by the time I got home. Hating riding in rain on my E3s, hating the dealership for not calling me when parts come in, hating Calgary and QE2 traffic.

All an excuse for my own stupidity to not take 5 extra minutes to get the right gear on. Lol

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ahhhh. Summer in Canada.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CORRECTION: it was snow not hail. Don't know how long they were stranded on the highway. Freak of nature in the middle of summer. Snow out of no where. Forecast for 35C there later this week. Go figure.
Further corrected. Not cold enough for snow at the end of July! It was wet mushy hail. Silly me!

Reactions: Tenax66
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.