VOG Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Because it's not made by the lowest bidder and sold at a price above better made products thats why.
And you paraphrased me like I made the statement ? No no no. That is not what slick said …. That is what lLloyd stated and documented. However I know you were just responding out of excitement due to this being an oil thread.
here’s my Statement and it sounds like yours a bit…… there are other choices as good and in most cases much better …… proven by those especially that ride year round !!!

· Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Gotta say when Seth did my clutch he bathed it in Rotella and then filled my bike with Rotella. I gave it 500 miles. Definitely felt a difference with the Rotella n there vs all the years I ran first Amsoil then switched to Spectro. The clutch was replaced again and the Rotella never went back in. Yeah the difference was not to my liking. I don’t totally blame the oil…it was a smart choice for a break in oil lol. So the next new clutch didn’t get it. Again not blaming the oil ….. the failure was mostly due to the springs needing replacing with the clutch. Alto it was and new springs and yes Spectro 20/40.
today 6k miles later the clutch is solid.
Doing a new clutch ? Do the springs and stock springs are fine.

· Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So yesterday afternoon I decide to run 100 miles to give the bike a chance to warm up before I head back to do my oil change to the 20/50. Not one noise from that valve train! Like the dammmm thing fixed itself. The bike was smoother than ever. Now it has been down for a month getting a complete new sound system and VR. Re routing wires and what not. So maybe that long sit dried her up a bit and some back to back riding was needed. I’ll ride again Sunday and change the oil to the 20/50 since the hot weather is still on is for atleast another month to two.

· Registered
18,768 Posts
Gotta say when Seth did my clutch he bathed it in Rotella and then filled my bike with Rotella. I gave it 500 miles. Definitely felt a difference with the Rotella n there vs all the years I ran first Amsoil the Spectro. The clutch was replaced again and the Rotella never went back in. Yeah the difference was not to my liking. I don’t totally blame the oil…it was a smart choice for a break in oil lol. Still the new clutch didn’t get it. Mostly due to the springs needing replacing. Alto it was and new springs and yes Spectro 20/40.
today 6k miles later the clutch is solid.
Gotta say I will giving it a try after the last kit is gone...

· Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank ya Sir and will consider, but I may have to try the Spectro first based on Slick appears to swear it is the Fountain of Youth for the Vic's Hammer engine. Then if I find different, well... But looks like Slick has researched the Hell out of the subject.
Not sure about the research part. I leave that up to the company that makes it. I believe their process is a good one like Amsoil is. All I can tell you is I tried it like so many others including some of our finest wrenches out there and it’s worked to my liking. I’m confident this is the right oil for my bike and going to 20/50 during the hot summers here can only benefit with heat and shifting. This new change for me is something I look forward to trying and reporting back on. Stay tuned.

· Registered
2,349 Posts
I swear by the 20/50 semi Castrol with Actevo. 4 changes now and consistently faster turn over, not that previous was bad, but a difference. Been keeping mileage records and consistently 2+ mpg better. Smooth running no noise. Less metal dust. Using a pcs1 filter and WD plug, both have magnets and I'm just impressed. Just broke 78000 and just great.
Honda racing developed it and an old friend was one of their mechanics. Those boys are well beyond serious. Love the price too. Just the facts. I'm not a paid spokes person or anything, just a very satisfied customer. Ride on brother's...

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Manual says JASO MA oil. Nothing about filters. 🤷‍♂️

• Agree
Reactions: Bikesofbrads

· Registered
326 Posts
Font Parallel Rectangle Number Pattern

I believe it is clear what Polaris's intention were when printing the Service Manual R9927624 R01. As you can see above, a synthetic 15w50 oil can be used instead of their own proprietary blend of Victory 20W/40. So I would say any synthetic oil that starts with a 15 or ends in a 50 is OK as long as it has JASO MA rating.
Rob

· Registered
229 Posts
I’ve been using Rotella T-6 15w40 and a K&N filter in mine with no issues. For whatever reason no one has the T-6 in stock now. I changed my oil today and used Castrol Actevo 4 10w40 and a Wix filter. Im sure it’s probably all in my head but it does seem to shift smoother and quieter.

· Registered
9,779 Posts
Been thinking about this and it seems to me that all that oil going into the motor is creating drag and slowing down all the moving parts. If you would leave it out, everything inside the engine would move a lot faster, not having to overcome all that viscous liquid sloping around. :devilish:

· Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I swear by the 20/50 semi Castrol with Actevo. 4 changes now and consistently faster turn over, not that previous was bad, but a difference. Been keeping mileage records and consistently 2+ mpg better. Smooth running no noise. Less metal dust. Using a pcs1 filter and WD plug, both have magnets and I'm just impressed. Just broke 78000 and just great.
Honda racing developed it and an old friend was one of their mechanics. Those boys are well beyond serious. Love the price too. Just the facts. I'm not a paid spokes person or anything, just a very satisfied customer. Ride on brother's...
Yep my buddy Bill won’t run anything else. I’ve heard of a few other Vic owners running the Actevo and say the same. I heard his motor and it’s just quiet. Let’s face it. It’s the right spec and blend with the correct wet clutch compatibility from a known quality company.

· Registered
152 Posts
Thank ya Sir and will consider, but I may have to try the Spectro first based on Slick appears to swear it is the Fountain of Youth for the Vic's Hammer engine. Then if I find different, well... But looks like Slick has researched the Hell out of the subject.
Nothing but Spectro in my bike and it loves it, shifts as smooth as a babies behind, quiet as a humming sewing machine. I won't use anything else, Spectro Golden is the answer to the Vic oil change kit.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm not a mechanic by any means nor am I an idiot either. Years and years ago my good friend always recommended I use a heavier oil in the hotter months and thinner in the colder months when it came to my cars and trucks. Just like rifles and ammo, the location you're in greatly affects the outcome of what you're trying to accomplish. Anything factory is the result of an overall happy medium to give average results across a wide area of the continent. Riding in Denver, Co where the air is thin and temps and humidity are low, is going to be greatly different than South Florida where the temps are generally higher as well as the humidity but altitude is not.
If it works better then rock out. It's like... what's the word?... Science or something?

· Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
152k using amsoil 10w/40 metric and Purolator 14610 filter.
Original clutch
That’s a good run and understandable with that oil. I ran it for 20,000 miles in my 2011. Then came Amsoil 20/40 specific to Victory and Indian. An advertisement / market ploy at best. I had an Amsoil rep tell me that the 10/40 was a better blend than the 20/40 for Victory. However….Due to the catalytic converter in our bikes the 20/40 jaso ma / ma2 was developed. They decided on the 20 spec because it was more exclusive to the Indian / Victory brand and the recommendation of the manufacturer to use this blend as stated in the owners manual.
Pick a good jaso ma/ ma2 wet clutch oil and stick with it like you have and this can be the result.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts