VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 500 miles on new 2016 XC and yesterday bike was running while I was maneuvering in driveway to go to work and it just died. Tried to get back running and it wouldn’t turn over. Have had no issues once I got the early spring rides in it. Has been very hot here lately(90’s with heat index at 100’s). I don’t think it’s fuel pump since it does make clicking noise when start switch is turned to on like book says. I don’t think it’s loose connections in battery since the bike does try and turn over. Could it be fuses or spark plugs? Or is the heat messing with the fuel/fuel lines. Fuel level was getting close to warning light turning on. I did add fuel to bring it close to half full. Desperate help. Was debating on trailering to dealer for 500 mile tune up and hope warranty covers.

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
I ride year round in Texas. 90 is nothing for a Vic.

The fuel at that level should not be the issue.

I would try the fuses and main breaker.

Tightening the battery cables wouldn't be a bad idea. Even when they seem tight sometimes they need a little snug up.

Reactions: JayFL726

·
Super Moderator
26,119 Posts
Sometimes it's also the simplest of things that we just over look with frustration.

Is it in N, or are you sure it is fully in N?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
You have had the bike several months and only put 500 miles on it. Do you keep a battery tender on it? If not battery may be low. Battery connections loose?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just checked battery connectors when I got home from work this morning and they were pretty loose. So tighten them and put tender back on. I normally only put tender on when storing during winter.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I just checked battery connectors when I got home from work this morning and they were pretty loose. So tighten them and put tender back on. I normally only put tender on when storing during winter.
Yup loose battery terminals it is ... There must be a whole family working in the victory assembly foe 18 years on the productiob line that are die-hard HD fans coz 50% of the vics have loose battery terminals .... Hahahahhaah

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if the location lends itself to more vibration. Vic’s seem particularly susceptible to loose battery connections and it almost always seems to be on a Cross model. There are some very real handling benefits to taking a part that has a very dense mass, like the battery, and placing it as low as possible so kudos to the Vic designers there. But I can’t count the number of times I’ve read about this issue. Even terminals that feel tight and a problem is corrected with an extra 1/8 turn tighter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
yep reckon its the battery

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked it after about 6 and a half hours on tender. Still same result. Do I need to leave on tender a good 24 hours? Or is there something more going on? I do hear the click the book talks about for fuel pump engaging when on switch is pushed. Volts did come up to slightly above 10 when trying to start. Was in red section at between 8-10 before that. Unless it’s the spark plugs or fuel related?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I agree with you 6 and a half hours should have been enough to check it out . I am out , Someone reading this will most probably have had the same problem and hopefully will chip in , hope you get it fixed soon , good luck .

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would let it charge for 24 hrs, or if you have a jumper pack, try to jump start it. My vision’s battery died when it was new due to loose terminals, had to jump it and when I got home tightened them. That was a year and a half ago, I just had to tighten it again 2wks ago. I had the same issue with my Honda VTX 1800 before my Vision.

Hopefully it’s just a weak battery.

Also, being new, my Vision definitely took more power to start until i had 8k-9k miles. Now it starts easier, I have 12k miles on her now. Break in and wearing in made a huge difference

·
Registered
417 Posts
Leave it charging till tomorrow then have another try

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Leave it on overnight. If you have a 1 amp charger it will take all night to fully charge the battery.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just an oversimplified thought here, but I am going to spit it out anyway. A "new" 2016 bike has probably been sitting around for two plus years without being hooked up to a battery tender. Buy a new battery, put it on a tender until it is "green" and then install it in the bike. See what happens. In the past I have had multiple issues with batteries that "should" have been good, but were not. A weak battery will play havoc with a motorcycle, regardless of make (of motorcycle). Just my 2 cents and maybe not worth consideration.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.