Issue with CCT iPod Audio Cable, Update on post 6 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Issue with CCT iPod Audio Cable, Update on post 6

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Chattanooga_Mark, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    UPDATE ON POST #6

Since the latest Apple iPhone update to version 14.8, my phone won't charge from the 30 pin to Lightning cable. I'll get a pop up message saying "This device no longer supports this accessory". That message takes about 90 seconds to come up. In that 90 seconds, the iPhone charges. If I start a playlist right away and simply ignore the pop up message, it will work as it used to. The other audio control all work and the audio readout shows what's being played. If I press OK to the message, the audio still plays but the phone stops charging. I noticed this about 10 days ago and I've been looking everyday for another Apple update that will hopefully correct the issue.

Last week when I rode to Nashville, I didn't notice the phone not charging and when I arrived at my destination the phone was nearly dead. The iPhone still takes a charge as normal from the 12VDC outlets.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  2. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I've not messed with the 30 pin to lightning cable since my wife went from an 8 to a 10 when that came out. Got the same message back then, damn IPhone lol

I just Bluetooth my android...

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Thx Mark. I use my old iPhone 7 for my music and it currently has iOS 14.7.1
    Reading your message put the brakes on keeping the unit up to date. It works fine now and with no SIM card and Wifi turned off, it'll remain that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Chattanooga_Mark

Well, I may have found the culprit. I changed the 30 pin to Lightning cable and it still didn’t charge. I used a toothbrush sprayed with contact cleaner to clean both ends and it’s still not charging. Perhaps I have another faulty iPod audio cable. My original iPod audio cable failed this exact same way after about 6 years. Full function except it wouldn’t charge the phone. Two years ago I replaced the iPod audio cable and that fixed it. Now this one may have failed as well.

With the original one, after about 3 years I removed the CCT lowers for forged bars so simply rerouted the audio cable towards the left handgrip. Then when I replaced it two years ago, I cut a length of bicycle inner tube and ran the iPod audio cable through that to keep the water out. I ride rain or shine. I had hoped the inner tube keeping it dry would have kept it working longer. Maybe when rain gets into the 30 pin connector on the iPod audio cable where the Apple 30 pin to Lighting connects, it shorts out something in the iPod audio box.

I’ll end up ordering another replacement and this time also keep the rain out of the 30 pin to 30 pin connection. My phone connects to my Sena headset so that’s not an issue. I do like having the audio display working which requires the phone to be connected to the audio cable. When it’s not charging, the phone dies in about 5 hours.

5. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    When you get a replacement break open the case on cable. You might find a fuse in there. I've been curious for a while how those cables are setup. I can buy both ends of cable online but not sure what is in that box on the cable. Stopped me from looking more at duplicating it.

6. Chattanooga_Mark

The box doesn't readily lend itself to being opened. I was also curious to see what's inside so I broe one open. It actually has a bead of adhesive that keeps it together. No fuse but a small circuit board with a bunch of items on both sides of it. It doesn't look like a home project kind of thing.

Come to find out I had a new cable, part number 2411287 on my office parts shelf. It's quick and easy to replace it so I did. The new one is working great again. Now I have two failed ones. One has the full display but won't charge. The other one plays fine but doesn't show the data or charge.

On my next parts order I'll likely order another one to have one on hand when/if I get another failure. So, in the end, it had nothing to do with the Apple IOS operating system and everything to do with another failed iPod audio cable. The country of origin for the cable is CN.

This time I put a wrap of Gorilla tape around the 30 pin to 30 pin connection as well as keeping the audio cable inside the bicycle inner tube.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  7. 1stVictory

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    This sounds like a genuine Chinese fix! And genuine Apple brand converter cables, even authorized brand name knock offs (can't remember the name), retain handle bar control of songs. The cheap cables don't. But it looks like they're all gone too - 30 pin female to Lightning end.

8. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Apple killed the official 30 pin to lightning adapter in 2018.

Lightning was introduced in 2012.
    Probably cost too much for Polaris to add support for it.

9. 1stVictory

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    With converter cables made, no need for Polaris to go beyond the 30 pin connector in the left lower fairing. But as usual, electronics get dropped and once the supply disappears, it disappears.

10. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Speaking of great long lasting cables. I bought one from Batteries/ bulb store. $20. It is flat and 6ft long. The counter lad assured me I won’t need another. Life time warranty also ! So I bought it. That was 5 yrs ago.

• Winner Winner x 1