ISO grips vs. billet grips | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

ISO grips vs. billet grips

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by BLININGER, Jul 2, 2011.

1. BLININGER

BLININGER Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2009 Hammer
    I currently have the Avon air cushioned grips. I'm not happy with them at all. They need to be replaced since I laid the bike down I'm trying to decide what I want. I prefer the look of the Avons over the standard ISO grips but I like that you can customize the end of the ISO grips with spikes, colored rings, or throttle boss. The Avons just weren't as cushioned as I expected out of something called air cushioned. Just seemed like a hard chunk of rubber to me. Then there are all of the billet grips. I love the looks of them but how are they on long rides. I'm not as hard core as a lot of you so long rides to me are around 2 hours. Would I notice a lot more vibration, do they get really hot, and I've read that they get cold, do you feel that even through gloves? Any weather below 70° and I'm usually putting gloves on. So bottom line what's best for comfort? We all have our own style so I'll try to figure that out myself after I figure out what might be comfortable.

2. ddawg

ddawg New Member

2008 Kingpin, 2010 Street Glide
    Personally - I like the ISO grips. The look & comfort - and the throttle boss. My throttle hand goes numb on long "all dayers." Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bubba

bubba Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    I have always used ISO. I currently have the flame ones on my KP

4. hntr4life

hntr4life Member

KINGPIN 8-BALL
    I'm running a set of billet grips from www.victoryonly.com and have no complaints. I had the ISO's on my vegas and I prefer the new grips hands down. Paired with a throttle control from www.2wheelride.com I did a 7 hr run without one cramp.

5. ndabunka

ndabunka Well-Known Member

2011 Ness Cross Country
    The Ness Billets came on my bike and I have not changed them. Here are my observances. They do get hot to the touch on 95-degree+ sunny days so wearing gloves may become a requirement on those types of days. However, they also cool off relatively quickly so you could probably drive a few miles then stop and take them off. The first day I owned the bike I road it 2.5 hours down to Charleston, SC and then back the next day. The vibration is expected but not really a big problem. Some tingling in my right hand during that ride but no issue with my left and that may be because I have some tennis issues in that arm anyway right now. I can't tell you about cold weather because I have not owned it that long but my plans were/are to buy heated grips for winter riding. However, with the weather here, that means that won't be necessary until December

6. leabradley

leabradley New Member

Ducati
    Personally, I just recommend Billete grip. Comfort and control are obviously very important when ripping down the highway or through the twisties. Billet Grips are the perfect link to hands to drive bike. Tacky comfortable rubber with a profile that matches the contour of your hand are critical and the tracker grips provide that combo. check MC moto parts : goo.gl/9ZSfoD

7. Sunshinenomad

Sunshinenomad Active Member

2014 X-Roads Classic
    +1 on the Iso Grips. I changed from stock to the Avons but also wasn't happy. The Iso's are much better.

8. Dubes49858

Dubes49858 New Member

2016 Victory Vision
    ISO all the way for me for the past 12 years. I have huge hands and the added circumference of the ISO along with the throttle boss have added greatly to my comfort on all occasions imaginable on two bikes now. If you have heated grips the Watch for compatibility!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  9. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Magnum 2013 Suzuki M109R.... 2017 Kawasaki Concours
    +1 on the ISO. I like the size. They fit my big mitts. They cut down on the vibrations too. I use the weighted grip ends which helps even more with vibrations. I always wear gloves when I ride. I have mesh gloves, fingerless, solid leather gloves, and insulated I wear.

10. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Moderator

vision 08
    billet grips get gloves and be ready for hand tingling

11. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Active Member

Victory Crossroads
    I had a set of Avon grips on my Crossroads I liked a lot and their warranty and customer service is excellent.

12. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country, and 2016 Cross Country Tour
    I have ISOs on my XC and love them. I have trigger finger in both hands and the larger grip keeps them from locking up. Not sure how to manage this with heated grips on my XCT. I bought some foam covers but thier looks have kept them in the bag so far.