VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a newbie to both this site and Victory bikes, so please bare with me. I just bought a "new" 06 Kingpin leftover and added the stage 1 with the swept pipes....sound awesome! I am a height challenged rider..5'7" and I'm having some trouble reaching the brake and shift pedals. The pedals seem to be too far in for my short legs. I'd like to lower the bike a little, but all I have come across is the replacement linkage bracket. Is there a smaller shock kit that would be a better fit. Also....anybody know of a narrower saddle that may help me reach those pedals. Thanks for all your help in advance.

· Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the vog!! I am new around here as well there are alot of very informed indivduals on here. I am vertically challenged myself and may be able to help with some info. There is now a Kingpin low availabe that comes with narrowed side panels, and lower seat. The bars are also 2" closer and foot controls are 2 1/4 " closer as well. I believe you could use some of these parts to create your own "Low". I just picked my Vegas low and these changes make a big difference.

· Registered
2,685 Posts

Hello.
As for the "shocks" to my knowledge there is only 1 shock on the bike. You may need to get a shock from a Kingpin "Low" model as it is shorter but not by much. You can probably check with Progressiveto see if they offer a different shock for the KP.
Remember by lowering you are simply dropping the chassis and fender down further over the rear wheel. You will need to consider that doing so you reduce your lean angle in turns and may need to reroute your wiring that is fastened to theunder sidethe rear fender.
What if you used the kit that is available to move the pegs and controls reareward by 1.5"? Would that help? You can probably find a custom seat company that will rework your seat narrower for you but will the side covers then be in the way?
Best if luck getting your scoot dialed in for yourself.

· Registered
892 Posts
MONKEY666 said:
I might be wrong, but since the Low version come with a smaller seat and they didn't rework the frame wouldn't a seat from a Low bolt right up?
I thought I read somewhere that the side covers are shaved down or somehow different on the Low. I could be wrong on that.

· Registered
583 Posts

bernomad said:
MONKEY666 said:
I might be wrong, but since the Low version come with a smaller seat and they didn't rework the frame wouldn't a seat from a Low bolt right up?
I thought I read somewhere that the side covers are shaved down or somehow different on the Low. I could be wrong on that.
My bad. You're right about the covers. They'd probably have to be changed to fit the lines of the new seat too.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do appreciate everyone's input. I've done a little research and it turns out that the Kingpin Low sidecovers are concave as opposed to the convex shape of the regular Kingpin. I have not been able to find out if the sidecovers are inter-changeable. I sat on a low today and you can definitley tell the difference between the two models. I got a hell of a deal on my Kingpin, but it will take a little getting use to, or maybe I'll be able to swap out sidecovers and a seat.

· Registered
1 Posts
Kinda new to the group, but not to this question. At 5'2" on a '07 Kingpin, I've come to realize there's lots of math involved. I've worked this issue for the last couple years. No matter what, if you lower your bike, make sure you re-route the wiring harness on the underside of the fender. That's an absolute must, and good precaution to take from the start. However, realize that lowering only gets about an inch and you change the suspension/ride slightly. I've done it, but it was my first reaction and may not have been my first, after more consideration. I suggest taking a really good inventory of exactly where the reach for controls is happening, and in what riding postion. Some of the modifications can become a bit expensive so you want it to pay off. For instance, do you find the stretch when pulling off from a stop on a hill, or during laid back cruising, flat surface turning your bike around, etc.? Your body position will play into the equation, sometimes significantly. Unfortunately, at my height, I have difficulties in several areas; therefore, I've had to make numerous mods. I have Ness bars, which gave about a 2" pullback; therefore, I'm rested more into my seat which then allows more stretch from my legs to reach controls (both in ride position and turning the bars at a stop). The stock rear brake pedal is very small -- there's simply no pad. I have a larger pedal "attached" to the stock pedal, and it works much better - probably gives me about 3/4"-1". My mechanic just made a slight adjustment to the lever, too. It pulls it back and the pad puts it out a little. This was my biggest, cheapest fix, to date. The relocation kit for the controls is an option, but it is a bit pricey and you only get an inch from that, the last I looked - awhile ago. Now, there's an aftermarket pedal (on one of the vendor sites) which looks like a more polished design and looks like what I've been able to do. The seat pan suggestion is a good one. I rode last year with a Ness solo seat. It provided less cush, but dropped me about 1/2", maybe. Yet, I'm real close to sending my stock seat pan out for a custom cover. As for the side panels, they are interchangeable. I've gone to the dealership and swapped them out just to make sure. Yes, there's a little difference, but it's slight. When you add up the cost of panels to match your bike (or the chrome plastic replacements), and the Low shock - you're dropping several bucks with parts and labor, if you can't do it yourself. I added the "low configuration" up, including additional bar mods -- it's a rather expensive change. I've decided to hold out until I can investigate hydraulic options more thoroghly. There's one that "seems" to be pretty sophisticated for riders and not just for the purpose of slamming your bike down. Hydraulic is a huge change, and safety/quality of ride all has to be known. One last note, an employee at one of the dealerships near me has the stock shock, and has adjusted it quite a bit lower. He claims it has not changed the ride quality, and is still able to carry his usual loads but is cognizant and changes as needed. Had I not rushed to the lower kit, I would have started with this first. Sorry to rattle, but I just couldn't help myself. Bottom line, study your ride and do your homework on what change will get you what. You've made a great choice in bike! Be safe.

· Registered
12,150 Posts
MONKEY666 said:
bernomad said:
MONKEY666 said:
My bad. You're right about the covers. They'd probably have to be changed to fit the lines of the new seat too.
The low does have smaller covers but it is hardly noticable unless you really look. Also, if you change your seat to a Mustang or Vic Touring it will be even with the covers again.
As the other post said it is recommended that your wiring harness be relocated. But note that some of the accessories will no longer fit.
Another option to get the bike lower is to put on the Kewl Metal Rake Kit. It will lower the area by your pegs 1.5 inch and then you would not need to lower the rear.

· Registered
1 Posts

I recently bought an 07 Kingpin. I'm 5' 4", 165#( 27" inseam) and had some issues with seat height also. I had my dealerinstall the 1.5" lowering links, move thewiringover and grinddown the rear screw sleeve on the belt guard. It helped a little, but could have gotten by with the 1" links and would probably have been better for the bike.
I had no problems when riding solo or loadedwith gear on a 2500 mile ride through the Smokies last week. On hard bumps with my wife (130#) we may hit bottom if we have a load of gear on, but only rarely and not hard enough to be problematic.
I also drilled the shifter and rear brake levers and moved the shift & brake pegs about 3" back. That was a big help that didn't cost or damage anything. On the shifter I took off the rear peg and replaced it with an acorn nut which allows more foot room and still allows me to use the "heel" to up shift and into neutral.
I am not an agressive rider and have only had the pegs on the pavement a few times in many years of riding so lowering didn't make any difference on cornering for my riding style.
Very happy with the Kingpin and hope it's as reliable as reputed to be.
Rich

· Registered
199 Posts

So, just as an obvious question - didn't your dealer suggest the KP Low for you? Did you know it was a model option before buying your bike?
I have the KP Low and there was no doubt in my mind about the model I needed at 5'4".I haven't had to make one change to adjust for my stretch, reach or other. I have easy access to the shift, brake and handlebars are already pulled back.
Sorry, but I disagree with someone who said the side panels don't make a difference. They make a big difference. Between the shape of the side panels and the narrow seat, your legs drop down more directly when in a stopped position and this gives you more leg length when it comes to putting your feet on the ground.
While the low may have easier ride height to manage, that comes with a price. The seat narrowed is very uncomfortable,especially after alot of miles. There is no support under your legs and it feels as if you're struggling to keep them together on the ride. Trust me, no other comfort options are out there unless you use highway pegs.
When they made the KP Low, they brought everything back for the shorter rider - the clutch is the only thing they did not adjust and forgot that short riders often have short fingers :) But everything is pulled back proportionately and other than seat shape, it's a very nice bike for those of us who are short.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.