VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to ride again for some time. Had a 71 Yamaha 250 Enduro when I was 14 that I loved but nothing since. 61 now and want to ride again before the sun sets. Been looking around at what might be a 1st good learner bike that I would keep for a while and grow into. Came across this bike and love the looks and size but it is a big bike and some of the reviews I've read started it's a hard turner and bulky for lack of a better word.

Should I stay clear of this bike as a starter learner? I've also been looking at the Octane, Indian Scout, Honda CB1100EX. The Honda seems nice but I think I'd be moving on soon. I've read the Octane thread on being a 1st bike.

Would be using it for short rides around the country side, no touring, and my dirt days are done.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Go for it! Hammer is an easy bike to ride. It's rear tire makes it turn a bit hard but only in slow speed maneuvering, but you will get use to it. Great Bike!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It's not that I don't like Honda's but most owners I have talked to that have more than one bike all seem to say the same thing.
It's the one that gets put in the back & ridden the least.

Octane/Scout are both easy to ride & the Octane has some fun if you want to twist the throttle & go.
I have not ridden a Scout so can't say.

Hammer is a great bike & a great looking bike.
Altho these Vic's have plenty of grunt it is easily controlled.

I'd go for the Hammer simply because if your riding style/needs change you won't have to swap bikes.
Right now you are saying pretty much casual riding but you may find that you want to go further & ride more, the Hammer or any "Big Vic" will cover that.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
576 Posts
No. The Cross Country is a good first bike. The Hammer is a good second bike, which is why I want one so bad.

Oh, wait, you mean something else... Never mind.:)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Get it. You won't regret. The only bike I'd recommend is the kingpin. But I am a little biased.

·
Registered
770 Posts
View attachment 325945 Get it. You won't regret. The only bike I'd recommend is the kingpin. But I am a little biased.
Well I must agree there! The KP I the easiest riding bike I had ever rode. But the Hammer is also a great looking and badassed bike.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My 2 cents. I'd get something lighter. Seeing as you've had some riding experience, you might be ok. I know when I was first learning to ride I had a few moments of nearly dropping the bike. I'd say the only reason I didn't was because it was light enough to man handle. I'm sure if I was leaning on one of my current bikes it would be on the ground for sure.

That being said. Victory motorcycle do handle nice and once you get the hang of it, you won't want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
17,924 Posts
Went from Suzy-250 to an FX with no issue, but was current at the time.

May want to take a rider's course and use one of theirs to chip off the rust... Find an HD rider's course as it appears they are pushing the training.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm about 4 months ahead of you. By that I mean that I had not ridden since I was 16. I just turned 65. On this past April 28, I was in my local Jeep dealership getting my oil changed and wandered into the showroom. And there it was! A 2016 Victory Hammer S with only 700 miles on it. The previous owner had traded it in on a truck. I not only got my oil changed that day, but I also bought a motorcycle. Two weeks later I took the rider's course (mandatory in Fla.) and started riding. Man, I absolutely love this bike. I try to ride several times a week, unless it's raining or just way too hot. I've been on a few long rides now and one group ride, and have put 1200 miles on the bike in 4 months. I'm having a blast. I think you will, too. The Hammer is a great motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
@spider628 You're not that far from me if you want to ride sometime shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for the invite, Trout. I'll keep your offer in mind. (BTW, really like the name "Trout." I was a big trout fisherman for several years. Mainly fished out of Cedar Key, just down the road from you. Been there too many times to count.)

Reactions: Trout

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm about 4 months ahead of you. By that I mean that I had not ridden since I was 16. I just turned 65. On this past April 28, I was in my local Jeep dealership getting my oil changed and wandered into the showroom. And there it was! A 2016 Victory Hammer S with only 700 miles on it. The previous owner had traded it in on a truck. I not only got my oil changed that day, but I also bought a motorcycle. Two weeks later I took the rider's course (mandatory in Fla.) and started riding. Man, I absolutely love this bike. I try to ride several times a week, unless it's raining or just way too hot. I've been on a few long rides now and one group ride, and have put 1200 miles on the bike in 4 months. I'm having a blast. I think you will, too. The Hammer is a great motorcycle.
Wow, so many great responses. Thank you all. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as spider. I really like this bike and I'm glad there is a chance. I'm 6' 220 and fit. I think I'm taking a shot. Only concern is service.

·
Registered
17,924 Posts
These Bikes don't need no stinking service other than a (can't say the word or it opens a total highjack of the the thread) by @slickvic and others.

Lets see, real easy to ah do routine service yourself with filters and lubricant readily available and download the Owners Manual and "read" it for how to...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey, pdjmwj, I'm 6'4", 245 lbs and not in great shape (you said you were fit). Just got back from a short ride and all I can say is that every time I get on my Hammer I forget my troubles and anything else that's going on, and just enjoy the wind in my face as the road flies by. Really, there's nothing else like it. You can do this.

On service: I bought a case of Victory oil off Amazon, 2 oil filters and 3 or 4 of the copper washers required as oil drain plug seals (all spelled out in the owner's manual) so I can do my own oil changes at 5000 and 10000 miles. It's not that hard at all. I do have a Victory dealer about 45 minutes away if I need a real mechanic, plus there's a couple of great bike mechs right here where I live.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a returning rider as well and in the market for a Vic. I am torn between a highball, gunner and hammer. My only concern with the hammer is the fat tire handling. On the other hand...just get it because it's been so long that I wouldn't remember the difference. For me it will probably be which ever is available for the right price. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great site for info on all the bikes. I have a local Victory dealer with a new 2016 Hammer S. Plan to stop in soon for a talk on it. Price is currently $3000 of MSRP. Seems like a good price. So confident in getting a Victory I purchased a discounted leather jacket that a on clearance now. Price was crazy good.

Going to research the Gunner also. Nice alternative to the Hammer. Thanks all, great to see a community still exists and active with Victory.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Hope your next post is with you & your new Vic!

Reactions: Flyboy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.