VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m coming home next month from Iraq and my wife told me to do something with my bike so I’d stop complaining lol So bars are first on my ‘16 8-ball and basically I don’t know if it’s worth the hassle to get all the cables and wiring and so the work myself. I’m going from stock bars to 12” custom T bars. I can do it no problem but I don’t have many tools at my disposal so it makes the most simple jobs tough. Is looking to just bring the bars I want on into a shop and having them do it a bad idea?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to do that but given that military housing where I’m at now doesn’t give me anywhere to lock up a decent tool locker I don’t see any reason to be buying tools I would like to have. Unfortunately I don’t think wheeling a decent snap on locker into the living room is gonna fly with my wife.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
FWIW you can borrow tools from most auto parts stores with a deposit.

Reactions: Majic8Luke

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
If you do it yourself you will be able to ride it when your done, not sure how long your back. If you go the shop route no telling how long they will have it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s something I have considered. It’s worth the sweat, beer, and cursing for a day instead of fighting with the shop to get it back within the week

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
You might try Witchdoctors Victory parts and see if they have the bars you want. They would also have everything you need to install and technical support to guide you thru installation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might try Witchdoctors Victory parts and see if they have the bars you want. They would also have everything you need to install and technical support to guide you thru installation.
Thanks! I have the bars I want already picked out and I'm going to be getting those soon so they will be at my house when I get there.

Although with the cables and wiring if I just tell them what I have in way of bars they will be able to tell me what I can use from the stock stuff and what I'll need to replace? I've read that some guys are having luck not having to get new cables and some not.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Thanks! I have the bars I want already picked out and I'm going to be getting those soon so they will be at my house when I get there.

Although with the cables and wiring if I just tell them what I have in way of bars they will be able to tell me what I can use from the stock stuff and what I'll need to replace? I've read that some guys are having luck not having to get new cables and some not.
Give them a call. They are very familiar with that stuff. What bars are you getting? Someone here may be familiar with them.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
OP, you've been watching too much tv. A Snap-On cabinet in the living room. Funny. How do you do basic home repairs? And you want to pay a shop to do something simple like a bar swap?

I guarantee you don't need a locker full of tools to change your handlebars. If you don't have basic screw drivers, a wrench set or socket set you'll need them soon enough anyway. The space taken is a small cardboard box in the closet.

As for expense, you always get the best you can afford at the time. If that means $10 for a screw driver set and $25 for a wrench set at HF then so be it. Get additional items at Christmas and birthdays. Hell, most of the guys I know had more than that by the time they were 16.

What I'm trying to get across is that you either do your repairs yourself or you pay someone else to do it for you. Example, you say above you want the 1/4 turn throttle ring. Don't spend $20 buying it, spend $2 on a file, 50¢ on a PVC coupler and make one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was my plan if I ended up doing it myself. I was really hoping to get more of a response of if it’s worth the effort or if it is a harder job than it seems. This is my first road bike so im new to the levels of difficulty. Dirt bikes I could do it in my sleep for how many bars id go through but these bikes I’m just new to it all.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm coming home next month from Iraq and my wife told me to do something with my bike so I'd stop complaining lol So bars are first on my '16 8-ball and basically I don't know if it's worth the hassle to get all the cables and wiring and so the work myself. I'm going from stock bars to 12" custom T bars. I can do it no problem but I don't have many tools at my disposal so it makes the most simple jobs tough. Is looking to just bring the bars I want on into a shop and having them do it a bad idea?
I would love to do that but given that military housing where I'm at now doesn't give me anywhere to lock up a decent tool locker I don't see any reason to be buying tools I would like to have. Unfortunately I don't think wheeling a decent snap on locker into the living room is gonna fly with my wife.
First,. When you get home take some time to relax. The only thing you should be working on the first few days is your wife.

Second,. You should be coming home with a little change in your pocket. Buy, beg or borrow the tools you need. I'm sure someone in your platoon can help square you away with tools or a helping hand.

Third,. Don't worry about where to keep basic tools. For years my "tool box" was an old assault pack. If you are in post housing doing simple jobs in your parking space should not piss off the MP's if you get it knocked out in a day.

I know every post is a little different but there should be some type of do it yourself auto shop on post. Ask around and see where the guys in your unit take their bikes. I'm sure they can recommend a shop.

S***,.. just saw you're in Louisiana. If you are at Polk that place just sucks,.. but at least the food is good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First,. When you get home take some time to relax. The only thing you should be working on the first few days is your wife.

Second,. You should be coming home with a little change in your pocket. Buy, beg or borrow the tools you need. I'm sure someone in your platoon can help square you away with tools or a helping hand.

Third,. Don't worry about where to keep basic tools. For years my "tool box" was an old assault pack. If you are in post housing doing simple jobs in your parking space should not piss off the MP's if you get it knocked out in a day.

I know every post is a little different but there should be some type of do it yourself auto shop on post. Ask around and see where the guys in your unit take their bikes. I'm sure they can recommend a shop.

S***,.. just saw you're in Louisiana. If you are at Polk that place just sucks,.. but at least the food is good.
Yea good ol Polk lol I've been there 3 years now. I'm on a 5 year contract and never got around to requesting orders lol it's not all bad. I mean works s***** and the people don't know how to drive. But the 9 month riding season and the food is hard to beat. I'm originally from Michigan so the weather is a nice change

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.