VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just recently had to overhaul my 04 Vegas with new tires, fork seals, drive belt, plugs, filter, etc. It's been running great the last couple weeks until 3 days ago. At that point, the bike became nearly impossible to start, but once it did, it ran fine all day.

Now, I cannot get the bike to run at all. It thinks about starting but goes nowhere. First thing I did was check spark and replaced the battery, since it was 7 years old. I rented one of those OEM fuel pressure testers from AZ, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

First time I attached it, I could only get the pressure to read 0 psi. I tried again, and got it to read 2 psi. The fuel pump does come on each time, but no change. I checked fuses to be sure as well, and the new plugs do show some gas on them.

As a final check, on the pressure port, I pushed the nipple to make sure that gas flows out easily when the kill switch is on. No problems there either.

So, could the pump just fail that quickly, or is there something else? I emailed Rylan, but haven't heard back yet, so hoping the VOG can help me out here.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes, it's possible for the fuel pump to fail and fail quickly....able to flow fuel but not able to provide the proper pressure for injectors. Last year our 2002 Chrysler van ran perfectly earlier in the day, then on the way home (thirty mile trip) it barely ran when I needed to climb a slight hill. I managed to limp the car home and any attempts at giving it throttle it ran like it was starved for gas. Once home and in the driveway, it wouldn't start unless I sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake, but would only run for a few seconds. installed a new fuel pump and runs like a new van. So yeah, it can happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I just finished pulling the pump, and it actually looks good. A little residue in the tank, but otherwise all the rubber rings are still like rubber. So, if the pump is working when turning on the kill switch, would it just be the regulator?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
It is not a simple work or doesn’t work. The injectors require the fuel to be delivered at a specific pressure. If that pressure is not high enough, it is possible to get fuel to the cylinder and on the spark plug, but not into the fine mist the way it should be. Even if it looks good and seems to be working, it still may need to be replaced. Getting an accurate fuel pressure measurement is the only way I know of to know for sure.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
The thing I keep coming back to is it gave you trouble starting first thing in the morning but when it did finally start it was fine for the day. That tells me it probably isn't the fuel pump but I would definitely change the filters while it's out.

I would be thinking spark plugs, plug wires, or coil at that point. It's easy enough to pull the plugs and hold the plug up to the cylinder while you try to start it without plugs or gas to see if you can see the spark jumping. Thick rubber gloves or a tool with rubber insulated handles are a good idea when doing this.

If you get good spark and you know you have good compression because you were able to ride after it started giving you trouble then it's probably a fuel or ECM issue.

These Vic's do have a quirk though. Some things run through flashers on some models which isn't something I would have thought of before Rylan from the Vic Shop pointed it out on the X-bikes.

This being an 04 Vegas probably has that stuff in the headlight. Not sure if it applies to the 04's or not. Just wanted to mention it.

If it was the regulator you would have either an over charging or under charging issue. Not a starting issue unless it was from a dead battery.

You have already checked and replaced the battery but have you checked it since this issue started? They have been known to loosen up at the terminals. It would be a good idea to track down the breaker and temporarily bypass it then replace it if bad.

If I think of anything else I'll check back but I look forward to hearing what you find in the meantime. BTW thanks for taking a picture of that fuel pump and filter. I forgot to do that with mine when I changed the filters a couple of summers ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hopefully this diagram comes across. However, the o-rings are not labelled in the diagram, as the OEM Parts replacement treats the fuel pump as one whole unit (25), instead of a separate regulator and rings with the pump.

The o-rings come as a kit from Crown Automotive, #4418903 at Amazon, Summit, etc. Besides those, I'm also replacing the filter (24), grommets (10, 11, 15, 21) and o-rings (7, 16). Just taking care of as much as I can, since I have the tank open.
View attachment 472961

Here's the actual image of the o-rings on the regulator. Mine are squished and cracking, causing the regulator to spin in the pump mount.
View attachment 472953

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI, in case anyone else is taking the pump out for service, to pop out the plug I purchased a 6" sewer pvc cap, and a 8x120mmx1.25 bolt with washer and nut. Works like a champ for less than $8. From the service manual, just drill a 3/8" hole in the middle. No need for a separate pipe and cap, when this one is just the right height.

Here's the cap:
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...31-c-8557.htm?tid=-4107538741674973574&ipos=5

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Hopefully this diagram comes across. However, the o-rings are not labelled in the diagram, as the OEM Parts replacement treats the fuel pump as one whole unit (25), instead of a separate regulator and rings with the pump.

The o-rings come as a kit from Crown Automotive, #4418903 at Amazon, Summit, etc. Besides those, I'm also replacing the filter (24), grommets (10, 11, 15, 21) and o-rings (7, 16). Just taking care of as much as I can, since I have the tank open.

Here's the actual image of the o-rings on the regulator. Mine are squished and cracking, causing the regulator to spin in the pump mount.

I'm not able to view these images in either of two different browsers on my computer. What are you using to post them? Something made by Apple?

Are you able to see the images in the link I sent? I'm trying to figure out where the regulater is. Is it part of the fuel pump? Outside the tank? Inside?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm using Chrome and inserting URLs to jpg images on Google, which are appearing in the posts after I add them, so not sure why you wouldn't see them.

The regulator is part of the fuel pump in the tank. The KP manual link you sent for page 11 is #25, the same as the diagram image I added.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pump should put out 49 psi. les is no good. Hope you got the right regulator some don't give the right pressure. Rylan at The Vic Shop can rebuild your pump if it still acts up.

Victory Motorcycle Performance & Service - The Vic Shop
Yup. I saw the 43PSI one online, but can't find a replacement OEM regulator, as Victory only sells the full pump with the regulator attached. I believe just cleaning out the regulator and replacing the o-rings should do the trick, as others have posted positive results under the same symptoms. I ordered the o-rings today, so should see them by next weekend, and will post an update.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
In my ongoing need to fully understand how the pump works and could be at fault, I started to take it apart more. Apparently the pump is actually a Walbro F20000 107, which is rated for up to 137psi. So, instead of sending the unit off, or ordering an OEM replacement, I can replace the entire thing for less. I'm wondering if the OE is a Walbro, or if someone has already replaced the pump with this aftermarket unit.

Pic with the electronics and regulator removed:
View attachment 472969

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's .jpg. Try the last post again please. I found something in the google forums that some sites want an extension on the end of the file for the image to show. So, with google photos, you have to add either ?.jpg or -tmp.jpg to the image address. I added it to the images, so let me know!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.