VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2010 Vegas for my wife. I use a motorcycle jack to lift my Road King which raises that bike by using the frame. I looked under the Vegas and the jack would fit but it looks like the rubber pads would fit against the engine housing. Is this a safe way to lift this bike so that I can wash/service and store the bike for winter? I am concerned if the weight of the bike on the engine case would hurt the engine housing?

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Can you use 2x4's to span the base and put the weight on the frame?

·
Registered
86 Posts

Iwas wondering the same thing.Ijust bought a Ness Vision andI have to rock the bike up to get it on the jack, but it rests on the engine, not the frame.I lifted mine this way asI rode in the rain for about 400 miles and it needed a good bath. there has to be a safe solution.I can't imagine keeping them clean w/o lifting them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use a jack to lift my Vision Tour with no problem.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The base of the motor is plently strong to support the weight of the bike on a jack. It's more of a question of how stable it is. That varies due the design and quality of the jack. Some have made shims to go under the frame to widen the support area.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I use a jack like the one below with a piece of carpeted 3/4" plywood across the feet and lift my 08 Vision under the engine. This iswhere the owner's manual says tolift atand I have had no problems lifting there.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Forums are just awesome. I used my HF jack yesterday to lift the Hammer for some wheel cleaning.
I was OK, stability wise, but concerned about the jack rails liftingon the engine.
I'll probably still investigate some 1 by 4 to lift by the rails but I feel better about yesterdays events.
Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

I just get my wife to get it up while I do the work !Life the bike that is !

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got the HF lift too. I glued a 3/8" thick 3" square pieces of rubber on each end of the lift arms. I use the lift from the right side of the bike. I'll push the lift under the bike until it hits the other side, pull the bike upright by the handle bar and slide the lift in about 2 more inches and lift.. Stable as can be. Been doing this for ten years no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.