VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2.5 years of planning and preparing for hopefully "someday" I had a chance to do a long ride yesterday and add the 45/90 to an Iron Butt ride. Did my last IBA ride in 2019 so I think I was a little out of shape, okay...a lot but I made it.
It was a cool day, temps stayed in the 60's most of the day but fought strong winds all day. No rain!!
Total of 1042 miles per the GPS, trip had a good mix of interstate and two-lane winding roads. Had a lot of stops, the 2018 Fat Bob has 3.5-gallon tank. Also stopped at the 45/90 Marker in Wisconsin and the Iron Butt sign in Iowa. Had to ride through Stanley, WI, have a long family history there. Marking the corners also added more stops. With all of the stops it took a little over 20 hours! I think I have a record number of receipts for a day ride.
Wasn't sure if I could still do these long rides. (I'm tired!)

IBA ride list -
Victory - 21
Honda CTX 1300 - 7
Suzuki DL650 - 2
Now I added the Harley Fat Bob - 1

My first long ride with cruise control...I liked it!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Congratulations on yet another IBA ride, have you got it out of your system now?
I don't have the desire to be a mile eater anymore & have turned into a flower sniffer & find my pleasure in slowing the pace & savoring experiences more than in the past.
Thank you!
I think this is it, I just wanted to add the Harley to the list. I could sure feel my age on this ride and my night vision is not what it used to be, time to slow down.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Congratulations @Rollin on yet another very impressive endeavor. Your H-D, except for the smallish tank, should be very comfortable regarding aesthetics and its overall design. I can only imagine how difficult it would be but adding a few GoPro cameras etc to your mix could be the makings of an excellent YouTube channel. I'm thinking a long distance Million Dollar Bogan without all the sniveling and the swearing.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing it with us here.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations @Rollin on yet another very impressive endeavor. Your H-D, except for the smallish tank, should be very comfortable regarding aesthetics and its overall design. I can only imagine how difficult it would be but adding a few GoPro cameras etc to your mix could be the makings of an excellent YouTube channel. I'm thinking a long distance Million Dollar Bogan without all the sniveling and the swearing.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing it with us here.
Thank you!
The bike did work well. I had extra fuel, didn't need it but I was close to needing it a few times!

·
Super Moderator
26,482 Posts
Nice ride!!!

Probably a record of receipts and overall money spent on gas.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your a beast!
I can't imagine those miles and that amount of time on a smaller bike.
Thank you!!
I checked the GPS and I had 16.5 hours of in the seat (moving) time. Used a Mustang seat, I had had good luck using Mustang seats on the Victory's.
It was challenging to go from rides to the grocery and Walgreens for the past 2.5 years to a 1042-mile day!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
That was IBA ride #4. The IBA ride to Colorado in 2006 was the first. That was 16 years ago!! Wow!
time flies when you're having fun. I've only done 4 since then. Mostly taking others on trips that were interested.

Once I trust my old BMW restoration(few things still need tweaking) I'm planning on attempting another SS1000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts