VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked the dealer to include the IPOD connector cable with my new tour premium. He told me that in order for the IPOD to integrate with the bike controls, I would also have to buy the CB system at around $600. I did not want to offend him, but I have done a lot of research on this bike and never heard that one before. I declined to add the IPOD connector.
I pick up the bike this Saturday so there is still time to add the cable. What's the deal?
Jon

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Ouch. That's just not right. The iPod cable has nothing to do with the CB/Intercom system. It's simply a cable that replaces the AUX mini-plug input that comes with the bike.

Personally, I would recommend that you have an "informative" conversation with your dealer as it's stories such as these that tarnish their image. Have him pick up the phone and call the Victory rep while you're sitting there and watch (with amazement) when he is corrected by the factory rep.

While I don't want to yell "fire" in a crowded theater and I'm NOT an Attorney, if he's attempting to up-sell you with this misinformation, sorry, but that could be considered fraudulent.

If you haven't completed the purchase, you may want to reconsider your options as if the information you provided is correct (I have no reason to think otherwise), you're probably headed for more of these misinformation conversations in the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say about this situation.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Ditto on what Andy said. That is completely false information. Whether through ignorance, or on purpose, you need to find out NOW. You are already learning something about that dealer.
I ordered my iPod cable for the approx. 45 bucks, and had it in hand in a week. (I have no need of a CB -yet. I was a truck driver, and appreciate them for cross-country, but not until then).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Just completed my order with PURE POLARIS. If I have any install questions I'm sure I will get help here. This dealer gave me a sweet deal, however I'm going to spend some time with the service tech this weekend to make sure he is Victory trained and certified. The salesman may have been mistaken and that's what I'm hoping.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Dont send him to the lions just yet, like you said he might have just been mis informed. Give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Let him prove himself (one way or the other)
If it turns out he is just trying to pad his commission, tell the owner in a polite way that his sales force is mis informed. And needs to bone up on his product a bit. Unless the owner is a crook too he will welcome the feedback. But BE NICE ! dont go in with guns a blazzin, you really dont want to burn any bridges.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
easttexasrider said:
Just completed my order with PURE POLARIS. If I have any install questions I'm sure I will get help here. This dealer gave me a sweet deal, however I'm going to spend some time with the service tech this weekend to make sure he is Victory trained and certified. The salesman may have been mistaken and that's what I'm hoping.
Thanks guys.
Also ask if the tech is VISION trained. It's my understanding that the techs needed to go to class to become a Vision tech.

·
Registered
717 Posts

My bike came with the IPOD connector and I love it. Sound quality is better than the XM. If you do it yourself, make sure it works before putting things back in place.
My dealer, after doing another upgrade in which he had to unplug the IPOD connector, one of the guys plugged it into the wrong receptacle. He had to just pull it out and plug it in to the correct slot. I did not look to see where it was supposed to go, but it should come with directions.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Page 295&296 ofyour owners manual. Unplug existing cable and plug in Ipod cable.
(If all else fails read the instructions) LOL

·
Registered
126 Posts

All,
Very good points here and I also have the ipod cable. I do have a CB, but they are totally unrelated. Bobbyg is right too. You pull through the grommet and about 2 inches of cable and disconnect the aux input and plug in the ipod cable. Push the cable back into the hole and reseat the new grommet. Takes about 15 mins for the newbie or about 20 mins for one who knows what's going on. If the cable does slip back into the hole, all is not lost - the cable is in there, you just need to know how to get to it. I also suggest asking the wrench if you can watch and ask questions:)) If they say no.... find one who will and you will learn a TON!!! Lloyd Greer did some work for me at bikeweek in Daytona and I not only watched, but helped. What I learnedfrom him in 20 mins would have taken me weeks reading the service manual. There is a pdf of it floating around and I really suggest getting and keeping it close:) The owners manual is another one that is good:)
Don't burn the bridges either - you may need them to cross muddy waters later:)) !!!!!
Cheers,
Russell

·
Registered
834 Posts
When I purchased my Ness VisionI was told the trip odometer and speedo were set in the factory for km. I live in Canada but do a great deal of my travel in the States so it is handy to change it to miles. I told them this was odd as most digital trip computers change back and forth with a button push. Sure enough page 54 in the manual / 2button pushes and it is in miles. There was no malice on the salespersons part just a lack of knowledge about the bikes features.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I am always amazed how many salespeople never read the owners manual of what they sell. Why look/prove your "stupid" or lazy to a customer?
When I was selling JD mowers I even made all the college kids read the manuals and watch the safety film that comes with each mower. Buyers were always impressed on how much everyone knew. I told them if you don't know the answer say so then get their phone number, fine out and call them with the correct info. Easy work but worth a whole lot to the customer. Also no sitdown mower was allowed to leave without a quick rundown on safe operation and a complete cleaning.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is anyone connect an iPhone using the iPod connector? I am and my phone tells me that the device is not compatable and therefore will not charge the phone. The iTunes part works fine - I get all my music and playlists, etc through the stereo, but the connecter won't charge the phone.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
heiser252 said:
Is anyone connect an iPhone using the iPod connector? I am and my phone tells me that the device is not compatable and therefore will not charge the phone. The iTunes part works fine - I get all my music and playlists, etc through the stereo, but the connecter won't charge the phone.
The compatibility message appears as the iPhone knows when it's connected to a non-Apple product and usually it doesn't mean too much. But in this case, it means that while your iPhone may play back through your bike's sound system, it won't be charging it as you ride. Simply stated, if you ride for a few hours, not only will you lose the ability to use it as a music player, but in case you need a phone you'll be out of luck.

This is not necessarily Victory's problem as for whatever reason, Apple changed the pin connection configuration on the iPhone from what it was on the iPod. While I don't think the cable that Victory sells is "Apple Authorized" (I could be wrong on this one, so please correct me if I am), nor do I thing that even it it was an Apple product that it would behave any differently. The difference is that if you connect your iPhone, iPod or any product to a connector that is not "approved" for use with that designated product, then if a warranty repair is ever needed, Apple could easily say that the non-approved product caused the problem and the request could be denied. With that said, here's a solution:

CableJive's Charge Connector solves this problem as it simply changes the pin pattern between the cable and the iPhone.

Simply insert it in the bottom of your iPhone and then connect the bike's cable into the converter. It's really that simple.

They come in two sizes and the larger one includes a mini-USB port that can be used to deliver or provide product to another connected device.

Here's what CableJive says about this Charge Converter:

Get your iPhone 3G and latest generation iPods charging with all iPod and iPhone devices. This adapter fixes the charging issue by converting Firewire power to USB, and passes through all other connections.
The body of this sleek adapter is 17mm tall, 39mm wide, and 10mm thick. Plug the male end of the adapter into the bottom of your iPod or iPhone, attach the female end to the dock or cable on your compatible accessory, and get charging underway.
The adapter doesn't prevent the "accessory not made to work" if this is popping up on your iPhone or iPod when connected directly. Since the charge converter passes through all pins, a device that isn't made to work with the iPhone or iPod will still trigger that message.

They range is price from $28 to $34. The address is:
http://cablejive.com/chargeconverter.html

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Just yesterday I took delivery of a Kawasaki Mule bought at the same HD dealershipwhere I bought my bikes. It was amazing how much the sales guy knew his stuff, granted the information was simple and straight forward, the guy definately read the manual. I learned more in the 20 minute walk around and demo than if I were to have figured things out on my own. Hats off to this dealership.
On a side note, (OT) I told the guy that he should tell his boss to bring in the Victory line up to the dealership. I told him that the Victory bikes would out sell the Buell, Kawasaki, Big Dog, Iron Horse and Aprilla bikes combined. He said that his boss "has" put some thought in to it and as soon as inventory clears, it might happen. YES!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got my Cablejive converter a week or so ago and finally put some music on my 2nd gen iPhone to play with it. The converter works great and now the bike charges my phone while its plugged into the iPod cable. The integration into the Vision stereo is nice. I like having direct access to my playlists through the stereo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Count me in as a happy customer of the Cablejive converter....
The best part is that when I get to work , my Ipod is charged,
Now I can listen to my American Graffiti sound track...... :)

Riddle:
What is the difference between a Harley Davidson and a Hoover?

Answer:
Where the dirt bag sits.....

LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.