Internet TV giving it a try | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Internet TV giving it a try

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by satxron, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:24 PM.

1. satxron

satxron Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2006 Kingpin
    I have spectrum with everyday north of 200 MBs. internet and tv with HBO.

My bill for this is $224.00 a month. Now, I don't mind that much because I can afford but we were looking at what we watch normally.

We watch local news and broadcast networks, HBO, she runs Fox News on a loop all day, Food network, CW, FX etc.

Anyhow I just started a Youtube TV free trial with 85 channels. Seems to have everything we watch. Added HBOmax and the bill will be about 85 bucks. Internet is 70 so 224-155=69 bucks. 800 a year I am giving cable for stuff I don't watch. For just internet I don't get those "Other Charges" added on.

Did I screw up thinking about this?

2. JamesBond

JamesBond Well-Known Member

2015 Magnum/ 2005 Big Dog Chopper
    Nope, been using Youtube TV for over two years now and love it!.....:bandit:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    Never heard of YouTube TV,

We do not have TV channels sins 2003, but we look movies on YouTube for free, now my wife subscribe to a internet movie channel

EDIT: thanks Lou, NETFLIX is super cheap in Indonesia

Cheap is good, so i agree with you OP

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 5:13 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Honda Valkyrie
    We've got Direct tv, netfix, hulu, Amazon prime, YouTube and a couple others I can't even remember. I told my wife I'm getting rid of all that crap and going back to antenna. She said, "how many motorcycles do you have?"

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    Dropped Netflix and kept Amazon prime movies. Amazon I like because they let you Skip intro, and no commercials, also prime shipping, includes music I download and bluetooth to bike at only $125 yr. Hulu getting pricey for basically just TV. Thinking of dropping that because there's a lot of good free channels. Roku is pretty good, Pluto, Tubi and free YouTube...
    What I realize most with all the channels is that 98% of all this stuff is garbage and recirculating from their overlords. I really mean that too. Hulu kills you with commercials, cut movies, can't ff through commercials,... even when recorded and I still have to pay??? Constant repeats. How many times can you watch Marvel movies...
    Constant anti ???? stuff... It's labeled boob tube for a reason.
    I find free YouTube has the best variety of things to watch. Lot's of categories and music. But what do I know... Hollywood is a scarey place
    ....muuuhahaha...

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Several years ago we ditched cable. I put an antenna that cost about sixty bucks and needs to be plugged in on, and it gets locals + several “rerun” versions of local channels. I probably use this more than any watching Star Trek reruns. About a year or so ago kids got us a “Rokku” so something like that, all I know is it uses the internet and now I pay for a couple subscriptions and family shares. So I pay for Parmount and Disney, got kids passwords for Netflix and HBO. I’m spending about 20 a month now.

• Like Like x 3
  7. satxron

2006 Kingpin
    One of the biggest sticking points we had was she had to have Fox News Live, Food Network, and Comedy Central. Broadcast I can get with an antennae but not them. Then I want Motor Trend and HBO. So I had to buy something. I also have Prime.

Like you I have two logins from the kids for Disney Plus and Netflix. We put the other controller out of sight and used the Amazon Cube to run the Youtube TV all day. I can't not have internet so that fixed cost of 70 bucks is always gonna be. I have to do Zoom meetings.

I am not actually cutting the cord still paying a little under 100 for TV but I don't mind not sending that giant 800 a year for things I don't watch. I do love Motor Trend watching those guys build cars and that silly guy on Wheeler Dealers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    We cut the cord years ago and watched hi-def antenna TV & streamed what we could. It was pretty limited 10 years ago but now you can get whatever you want. I'm dropping YouTube TV and getting fuBo (no idea what that means) but I can get all local sports including the Cubbies. My only reason to keep YouTube TV is the number of simultaneous streams (six) you can have. FuBo has 3. The kids don't use YouTube TV so no need to keep it.

That said, Roku & TouTube TV are in a pissing match over a new contract. If you leave YouTube TV, you may not get back on Roku. Check out the articles on line about it. Maybe some of you already got email spam about their blaming the other company. Lame.

Overall streaming service prices are skyrocketing. I think YTTV was $45 when I started and now it's $65. Hulu Live and fuBo are similar. The f#ckers will get their cash one way or another.

• Like Like x 1
  9. broggyr

broggyr Administrator Staff Member

2013 XCT
    Recently went through that with HBOMax and RokuTV. They had some pissing match that kept the HBOMax app off of RokuTV’s for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. satxron

2006 Kingpin
    Funny you should mention that. Roku won't allow the Youtube TV app to be downloaded. So youtube put a link in the Youtube app settings to TV. Now on Roku like I have in my office I click the Youtube app then in settlings click TV and its all there.

It appears cable cutters are growing in numbers so the streaming folks are fighting like crazy for us. The amount of free although obscure tv stations on Roku is huge. The wife said today that if she knew about HULU, Youtube etc. long ago we would have saved 1000s.

In my old age I am thinking just because I can afford it, why should I if I don't watch it or listen to it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Yep, that's what I was saying above. I still have YouTube TV but am dumping it at the end of the month for Fubo.

If you are a current YTTV user, don't remove the app from your Roku because you can't get it back (for now). New YTTV users won't be able to get the app to work until they get their contract settled.

Meanwhile let's go ride!

12. satxron

2006 Kingpin
    Yes, I understand but they still let Youtube on Roku. Youtube has now placed a link on the settings of Youtube that allow you to bring in your Youtube TV.

So far I am really liking it. I made my daughter part of the family group so she could see it. They just dumped Hulu and went with the YoutubeTV. Said something about the menu was better and DVR was a better deal.

13. roadcouch

roadcouch Well-Known Member

2013 xc sunset red
    We watch little tv. This system gets everything that we watch. Takes a little to get used to but the price is right