VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through some other threads and have seen some discussions about dead speedometers but I'm not certain that the speedo is my real issue. It's only happened a few times so far on cool, dewy, mornings as I get around 80 mph my speedometer needle will drop back to 0. Sometimes it pops back up almost immediately and I don't think it's ever dropped out for more than a minute. While it is reading 0 mph, the odometer display remains on but does not accumulate more mileage.

If I'm not missing anything, my failure options should be the speedometer, speed sensor or a wiring problem.

Is there an easy way to test anything with an intermittent failure? Is there something I'm not thinking about? Are any of these parts known to fail?

It's a 2006 Hammer. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
748 Posts
This YouTube video may help.
He was talking about how the signal relay makes weird things happen.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've looked through some other threads and have seen some discussions about dead speedometers but I'm not certain that the speedo is my real issue. It's only happened a few times so far on cool, dewy, mornings as I get around 80 mph my speedometer needle will drop back to 0. Sometimes it pops back up almost immediately and I don't think it's ever dropped out for more than a minute. While it is reading 0 mph, the odometer display remains on but does not accumulate more mileage.

If I'm not missing anything, my failure options should be the speedometer, speed sensor or a wiring problem.

Is there an easy way to test anything with an intermittent failure? Is there something I'm not thinking about? Are any of these parts known to fail?

It's a 2006 Hammer. Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure how frequently wiring was the cause of speedo related problems but checking connections wouldn't hurt. As you probably discovered from previous threads, faulty speedo and sensor are known issues. For example, my new '16 Vegas had an intermittent speedometer problem. The dealer said an ECU reset would do the job. Polaris said the instrument cluster was faulty and replaced it. A Judge that I rode for a couple weeks also had a speedo problem.

Before you go the replacement route, first thing to check is the speed sensor. Check that it's clean and gapping is correct. Sometimes that fixes the problem. For your '06 Hammer, the sensor may just be due for replacement. Since your odometer (if it's digital) stops when the needle stops moving (assuming the rest of the instrument cluster still works), chances are there's a problem with the input to the cluster. Speed sensors aren't that expensive so not a biggie. If it is a faulty cluster and you get a used one off ebay, odometer memory (digital) resides in the speedo unit, not the ECU, in case it matters. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Their cart shows as having 4010977 but maybe their inventory system is inaccurate.
I went ahead and placed the order Sunday with partsland.com, hoping but not really expecting them to have it, and got a call from them yesterday morning informing me they could not fill the order. The guy who called was very apologetic. Even though they didn't have the part, based on their prompt communication, I wouldn't hesitate to place another order with them in the future.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I went ahead and placed the order Sunday with partsland.com, hoping but not really expecting them to have it, and got a call from them yesterday morning informing me they could not fill the order. The guy who called was very apologetic. Even though they didn't have the part, based on their prompt communication, I wouldn't hesitate to place another order with them in the future.
Too bad. Hopefully one of the VOG members with a pre-08 Vic can tell you how to source a compatible sensor.

If not, there is one other thing you might consider trying. Assuming that your '06 Hammer has a 3-wire speed sensor (as the post-08 models), I would first verify using a multimeter that the sensor is indeed the problem. To do so, unplug the connector on the top of crankcase behind the rear cylinder. The green wire carries the signal (a voltage from the Hall effect sensor when the sprocket rotates), the pink wire is 12V power supply, the third wire is ground. When you turn the rear wheel, you should get an alternating voltage reading on the green wire. If you don't, you know it's the sensor. Even if you do it might be broke since your problem is intermittent. But you'll get the voltage reading which may be useful in the next step.

Assuming the speed sensor is faulty, purchase a speed sensor for post-08 Vics. Check if the Hall effect transducer end has the same form factor as your '06 Hammer. If so, it should bolt right in. If not, you're probably out of luck unless you want to do nontrivial surgery. Assuming the sensor side fits, check if the adapter side which plugs to the connector on top of the crankcase fits. Something should not fit since otherwise Victory could have reused the old sensor part in the post '08 models. If it's the adapter's form factor that has changed, you can just splice the wires, solder them and silicon heat shrink wrap them using the old adapter end. It is also possible, although I would think less likely, that the voltage output from the post-08 Hall effect sensor has changed. This signal goes directly into the ECU (which has changed in post-08 models) and you'd be out of luck. Unless you're an EE guy and can modulate the output voltage to match what the '06 ECU expects.

Anyhow, not sure all of this is worth the trouble of fixing an intermittent speedometer but at least it's an option. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 07 jackpot. The 08 and newer sensor is available and looks almost identical other than the post is 90°. Did you have any luck finding the original one or using the newer one?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't had any luck finding a replacement yet but I haven't been looking too hard over the last week either. I did notice the 08 & newer sensor looks the same too (some other Polaris things have similar sensors also). I was hoping to find technical specs for them with measurements and everything, I wouldn't mind having to spice a new plug onto the bike if everything else fit. I also considered calling my local Polaris dealer to ask if they have speed sensors for anything in stock and try to visually compare it to mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm with you on splicing it, no prob there, but the ones that they say are compatible on some sites look nothing like ours...I did see one for $129 on Paradise (?) But was guessing that it wouldn't be available when I put it in the cart as was your problem with the other site (they say unavailable now) ...there are tests for the 3 wire halls effect sensors, but I haven't done that yet. I'm guessing it's bad.. thanks bro and keep me posted if you figure something out!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found an OEM sensor! I called Polaris customer service this afternoon and told them I knew the part was discontinued but was hoping they could provide an alternate part number. The lady I spoke with told me I would receive an email from the parts department in 1-3 business days (I didn't have high hopes of ever hearing from anyone), a little while later I received this email...

Hello,
We do apologize part number
4010977 SENSOR-SPEED,TRANS,HALL EFFECT
Has been discontinued with no remaining inventory.
I have performed a dealer inventory search and found the following dealerships may have inventory:

United States AL Alabama 299300 MOTORCYCLE SPORTS INC
AR Arkansas 2 GREGORY POLARIS
AZ Arizona 29 VICTORY OF MESA
CA California 2050 INDIAN MOTORCYCLE ORANGE COUNTY
FL Florida 20100 INDIAN MOTORCYCLE OF MIAMI
2900 VOLUSIA MOTORSPORTS
MO Missouri 2570 SURDYKE MOTORSPORTS
NJ New Jersey 53500 LOCOMOTION POWERSPORTS
PA Pennsylvania 2400 BLUE RIDGE POLARIS
SD South Dakota 2900 RICE'S RUSHMORE MOTORSPORTS
VA Virginia 2650 ALL OUT CYCLES
WA Washington 2900 THUNDER ALLEY VICTORY

Most dealerships will take an order over the phone an ship with a credit card.

They failed to answer my original question about an alternate part but I having a, short, list of all the dealers that showed it in inventory seemed worth while to follow up on. I started with the closest, figuring I would save on shipping if I did get lucky (again, I didn't have high hopes after unsuccessfully trying to order it 2 weeks ago from another dealer's online inventory). I called Blue Ridge Polaris first and they showed 1 in stock but did not have it. My second call was to All Out Cycles and they actually had it!!!! I asked if they had any more so I could report back here...I got their last one. I got lucky and only called 2 on the list so there is still plenty of opportunity for someone else, the dealers I know are out of stock are in red.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found an OEM sensor! I called Polaris customer service this afternoon and told them I knew the part was discontinued but was hoping they could provide an alternate part number. The lady I spoke with told me I would receive an email from the parts department in 1-3 business days (I didn't have high hopes of ever hearing from anyone), a little while later I received this email...

Hello,
We do apologize part number
4010977 SENSOR-SPEED,TRANS,HALL EFFECT
Has been discontinued with no remaining inventory.
I have performed a dealer inventory search and found the following dealerships may have inventory:

United States AL Alabama 299300 MOTORCYCLE SPORTS INC
AR Arkansas 2 GREGORY POLARIS
AZ Arizona 29 VICTORY OF MESA
CA California 2050 INDIAN MOTORCYCLE ORANGE COUNTY
FL Florida 20100 INDIAN MOTORCYCLE OF MIAMI
2900 VOLUSIA MOTORSPORTS
MO Missouri 2570 SURDYKE MOTORSPORTS
NJ New Jersey 53500 LOCOMOTION POWERSPORTS
PA Pennsylvania 2400 BLUE RIDGE POLARIS
SD South Dakota 2900 RICE'S RUSHMORE MOTORSPORTS
VA Virginia 2650 ALL OUT CYCLES
WA Washington 2900 THUNDER ALLEY VICTORY

Most dealerships will take an order over the phone an ship with a credit card.

They failed to answer my original question about an alternate part but I having a, short, list of all the dealers that showed it in inventory seemed worth while to follow up on. I started with the closest, figuring I would save on shipping if I did get lucky (again, I didn't have high hopes after unsuccessfully trying to order it 2 weeks ago from another dealer's online inventory). I called Blue Ridge Polaris first and they showed 1 in stock but did not have it. My second call was to All Out Cycles and they actually had it!!!! I asked if they had any more so I could report back here...I got their last one. I got lucky and only called 2 on the list so there is still plenty of opportunity for someone else, the dealers I know are out of stock are in red.

Good luck!
I am a new member so I just sent you a message and don't know if you will receive it so I'm also sending this message to you. Do you still have the old 4010977 speed sensor? If so I'll buy it if I have to because I have been in communication with Unlimited Rider who sells some Victory sensors on Amazon but not the 4010977 and if I can send them a used sensor even if it don't work they will copy it and sell it on Amazon so Victory riders will have the 4010977 speed sensor available. So if anybody has a used 4010977 Victory speed sensor that failed PLEASE let me know so I can send it to Unlimited Rider. Thanks in advance if anybody can help me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read a lot of posts about the hall sensors on hammer and realized that it was pointless to look for it, since it was discontinued. In the end, guys tell me how to solve this problem? Is there an alternative?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.