VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride an 05 V92TC. Great bike, runs strong, bone stock.

Ok, so I picked a little tiff with a buddy who has a Harley CVO Ultra Classic and got my backside soundly waxed.

I have vowed that this will be rectified by this time next year!

I've thought about going with the Lloyd's 104 kit.

My questions: 1) Anyone have any experience with the Lloyd's kits? 2) What kind of exhaust is available for the TC that would support this modification?

The exhaust part looks like it's going to be a challenge. I have a friend who thinks he can fab a special mounting system that would allow the use of slip ons designed for the HD Ultra. That would let me look at some of the V-H products.

Ideas welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,500 Posts

RhoXS said:
I ride an 05 V92TC. Great bike, runs strong, bone stock.

Ok, so I picked a little tiff with a buddy who has a Harley CVO Ultra Classic and got my backside soundly waxed.

I have vowed that this will be rectified by this time next year!

I've thought about going with the Lloyd's 104 kit.

My questions: 1) Anyone have any experience with the Lloyd's kits? 2) What kind of exhaust is available for the TC that would support this modification?

The exhaust part looks like it's going to be a challenge. I have a friend who thinks he can fab a special mounting system that would allow the use of slip ons designed for the HD Ultra. That would let me look at some of the V-H products.

Ideas welcome!
Best thing to do is call Lloyd, Kevin or Ryan at the Vic Shop402-659-9655
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I know I'll be vilified for this, but here goes.
I too have a V92TC. I like the bike for what it is, and that is a comfortable, long haul, straight road, touring cruiser. Except for a reoccurring problem with the exhaust system, it has proven to be rock solid and I don't worry about getting stranded a long way from home. I can load it up with 600+ lbs of passengers and gear, head up a 20% grade in the middle of August, without overheating. (Let's see you pal on the HD do that.) On the other hand, It is a S L O W bike. I don't bother racing anybody.
My other bike is a Honda Magna. I ride it with a group of Magna and Valkyrie riders. I watched a friend of mine on his $2,000 Magna pull away from a guy on a Sportster who had had $2,000 worth of work done on his heads.
Enjoy your TC for what it is. A Touring Cruiser. My TC will not hang with my Magna. Period. But I wouldn't take off on a week long trip on the Magna.
If you want to kick some porcine ass, get a Magna, Valkyrie, or Busa. I know the pleasure I've gotten as some tool on a $22,000 1,100cc machine comes to the realization that he's just had his but handed to him by a $2,000 750cc machine.
Hopped up Harley - $22,000
Used stock Magna - $2,000
The look when reality sets in - priceless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The TC being slow hasn't been my experience; in fact, I've been able to wipe pretty much any stock Harley I've encountered.
There is no doubt that I could go buy a ZX-14 and kick butt...but that misses the point...
The point I want to make to my friend is that the Victory is every bit as capable an American bike as the Harley.
Competing big twins are like using knives in a fight...but someone could always bring a Japanese cannon and destroy us both.
Where's the fun in that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
RhoXS said:
The point I want to make to my friend is that the Victory is every bit as capable an American bike as the Harley.
I get what you're saying. I still say, just invite the dude to follow you up a hill on a hot day, or sit at a stoplight for a while and just watch him shake and bake.
Also, I'll bet his Harley wasn't stock. Two valve, air cooled, and carbureted out the factory door rarely keeps up with four valve, oil cooled, and fuel injected producing 80 hp out the factory door. If he beat you, there's a rest of the story somewhere.
(We won't even get into 45° vs 50°, or push rods vs OHC)
Now if he poured another 2 or 3 grand into his bike and beat you, that's a different story. We're back to Japanese cannons.
I've always looked at beating a Harley like beating up somebody with a physical disability. He may deserve it, but it's not something I can take pride in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Alright. No one's called me on it so I'll do it myself.
Seems I'm a little behind the times on Harley power plants. In my post above, I describe the Evo engine. Just a little research shows that the CVO Ultra Classic uses the newer Twin Cam Engine. 110 cubic inches displacement and Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection. It also has some head modification to allow higher compression.
OK. I was talking about the wrong engine. But the Twin Cam still only produces somewhere between 63 and 75 HP out the factory door. (It's hard to get a definitive number as Harley now uses torque more often in their specs than HP) I've found sites where guys clam to get 114 hp, but those ain't stock. You're talking about big bore strokers at those ratings.
I'm still thinking that if he beat your Vic, he wasn't stock.
Surely somebody on here has some direct experience with the Twin Cam. What do you think? Is this a kick butt power plant?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts

For about a grand you can turn a stock 96" engine into a pretty good running 103". If all you wanna do is race then that's another matter. And I don't care what you're running, there's always somebody out there a little faster. (but generally all it takes is a better rider).
JMHO, RR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

My friend's CVO has been "massaged" somewhat - I didn't know it at the time.
He has paperwork from a dyno run showing 94 horsepower peak.
Yes, there's always someone a little faster...but I'm not worried about them today -
Just that guy on the CVO who whipped me... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kevinx01 said:
The TC S1 mufflers will handle 120HP without mods; so that is a non issue.
There are several high milage 104 TC's out there that have no problems. Nothing wrong with more power in a TC
So I understand you to say that the stock exhaust should be fine with Lloyd's 104 kit? That would be awesome! I'm not a fan of NOISE and don't like loud for the sake of loud.

That's great...so my next step would be to beef up the clutch before the 104 kit? What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,229 Posts
RhoXS said:
kevinx01 said:
The TC S1 mufflers will handle 120HP without mods; so that is a non issue.
There are several high milage 104 TC's out there that have no problems. Nothing wrong with more power in a TC
So I understand you to say that the stock exhaust should be fine with Lloyd's 104 kit? That would be awesome! I'm not a fan of NOISE and don't like loud for the sake of loud.

That's great...so my next step would be to beef up the clutch before the 104 kit? What do you think?
Not Stock, but Stage1 mufflers. The rest of it as is. Unless you go crazy a Vic Green Diahpram spring is all you need for the clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yikes! S1 mufflers? Can I even still buy those? Anyone know where I can buy a pair?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Being a former 2003 TC owner myself (wish I hadn't sold that bike) I would stick with the crowd and call Lloyd. But I would also place a call to D&D's too. I had a set of D&D's on my TC and the horse power & torque gains were incredible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,229 Posts

Gadget said:
Being a former 2003 TC owner myself (wish I hadn't sold that bike) I would stick with the crowd and call Lloyd. But I would also place a call to D&D's too. I had a set of D&D's on my TC and the horse power & torque gains were incredible.
Yup D&D still makes them. Or on the cheap you can drill out the center blocking plate then add 6 half inch holes in the back plate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention my most favorite traveling Vic Tech "KevinX". His motto is....."Have Cams...Will Travel"!!! :)

I'm sure KevinX has all sorts of great ideas on how to get you where you wanna be. He helped me tremendously...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kevinx01 said:
Yup D&D still makes them. Or on the cheap you can drill out the center blocking plate then add 6 half inch holes in the back plate
Thanks, KevinX,

While I love the look of the D&D pipes, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go this route in order to afford the 104 kit. It wouldn't change the appearance much either (sleeper!).

Is there an illustrated how-to? Special tools? Anyone done this before? How difficult?

Should I just take the pipes to a local machine shop and explain what I want?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top