VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After exploring and finding very few custom options especially for newer style cheese covers like on my '16 Magnum. (And what options are out there are pricey!) I went with getting covers laser marked. I love the look. And the price for both was $42 canadian. Like 30ish US. I was going to go with the stock 106 cubic inch graphic but liked something a bit different and always thought the vintage homage would be cool.

View attachment 473697 View attachment 473705

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That Looks great. Is it plastic or metal?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Perhaps "Long Gone Motorcycles" would be more descriptive . . .

I do like the looks; are you using Stainless Steel socket head cap screws?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The process is called laser marking. What they do is spray a very thin coat of a chemical called Cermark on the piece. The heat of the laser turns it black grey and bonds it to the metal. It actually is etched in. Just not very deep. Think of stainless steel promotional mugs. Same idea. The only way to remove it would be to sand it off. Even then, not easy. A common trophy shop was able to do it for me. They do exhaust pipes, derby covers, etc

·
Registered
17,921 Posts
Alright dumb question, how the Hell do they come off? Are the screws faux? Want to remove mine for maintenance and I am like a monkey with a football trying to figure it out...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright dumb question, how the Hell do they come off? Are the screws faux? Want to remove mine for maintenance and I am like a monkey with a football trying to figure it out...
On mine you simply remove the screws with an allen wrench. The custom replacements and maybe the earlier stock versions just have 3 slots with a grommet on the frame underneath. Then the cover has 3 tabs to go into the slots

·
Registered
17,921 Posts
On mine you simply remove the screws with an allen wrench. The custom replacements and maybe the earlier stock versions just have 3 slots with a grommet on the frame underneath. Then the cover has 3 tabs to go into the slots
That is where I got confused as they snapped on and off on some. Mine is a Boardy, but had the same style wedges...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.