Indian Scout Speedometer Mount on Victory Octane? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Indian Scout Speedometer Mount on Victory Octane?

Discussion in 'Victory Octane' started by fjtarud, Mar 16, 2017.

1. fjtarud

fjtarud New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Octane
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have owned a Victory Octane since August and just starting to fix it up my way. I was wondering if anyone has tried to install the Indian Scout Speedometer on the Victory Octane. I removed my front fender/windshield and the speedometer is way out there, so I am looking into getting the Indian Scout Speedometer mount on my octane. Just curious if anyone had done this, and if you could upload some pics. I would obviously put the Octane's actual speedo tach, but with everything else from the Scout.

I have added actual pictures and diagrams of both bikes and website address to the parts breakdown.

Thank you and please don't be too hard on me, this is my first post.

Octane Speedometer.jpg Scout Speedometer.jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 11.32.21 AM.png
    Motorcycle Service Parts - Part Finder | Victory Motorcycles Store
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 11.32.45 AM.png
    Motorcycle Service Parts - Part Finder | Victory Motorcycles Store
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 11.32.59 AM.png
    Motorcycle Service Parts - Part Finder | Indian Motorcycle Store
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 11.33.15 AM.png
    Motorcycle Service Parts - Part Finder | Indian Motorcycle Store

2. bigsbigelow

bigsbigelow Active Member

Octane
    You would have to replace the upper triple tree.

3. fjtarud

fjtarud New Member

Victory Octane
    Why is this? I thought both bikes had the same piece and the difference was from the handlebar up. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. bigsbigelow

bigsbigelow Active Member

Octane
    The schematic says it all...

The Scout speedo mount is integrated with the riser clamps. The Scout risers are parallel to the center line of the bike. The Octane's are angled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rufus2010

Rufus2010 Member

Octane, Vegas, 650 BSA, Norton Commando,CB550, Vespa, etc,etc
    With imagination, you could get the Indian Scout speedo bracket to work.

You could use the Octane handlebar clamps and then make an adaptee/spacer that bolts onto the Octane handlebar clamps and that the Scout speedo mount bolts onto. You would probable have to file the Octane handlebar clamps flat just a bit in the area of the bokt holes so there would be a good flat surface to bolt to, so you might want to but a replacement set if you go back to stock.

Also, maybe the spacing on two of the bolts lines up, lets say the bottom two. You could then maybe just attach the Scout speedo mount on top of the Octane handlebar clamps and just secure the Scout speedo mount by two bolts. The handlebar would be secured by all 4 bolts, but the speedo mount would just be secured on top of those by 2 bolts. It might be sll that’s needed because the speedo isn’t very heavy, etc.

Lastly, you could make, or have made, a new bracket to hold the Octane speedo in a new position. Maybe even a intermediate piece that just repositions the Octane Speedo mount more rearward.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. GolferScott

GolferScott New Member

Victory Octane
    I took this pic at Indian dealership because I thought the same thing

Attached Files:

7. GolferScott

GolferScott New Member

Victory Octane
    I bit the bullet and bought a scout bobber speedo bracket. I’ll take some pics and let you know what I come up with

• Like Like x 3
  8. GolferScott

GolferScott New Member

Victory Octane
    4AB090DC-8E6E-46BB-9D61-8CCAFAA68A42.jpeg It came in and none of the holes line up. Not exactly sure how to make this work

Attached Files:

9. Rufus2010

Rufus2010 Member

Octane, Vegas, 650 BSA, Norton Commando,CB550, Vespa, etc,etc
    You could take some 2” by 2” x 3” aluminum bar stock (or some similar size) and hacksaw out a spacer. Basically, you would be making a billet adapter. Drill some holes in it for the bolts and it could work.

It would not be an afternoon project. For me, it would take 2 or 3 evenings of putzing, making mistakes, and starting over. It would take measuring and guestimating, and the first one for the first side would look like crap, but the next one would look better. Smooth the edges, spray paint it black, and you’ve got an adapter. You could make it so that the tach was closer to you, farther away, at a different angle, whatever, but you could get mounted.

• Agree Agree x 1