VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Either that dude is a giant, or that's a little bike.

I would have thought their numbers would have been a bit better.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
if your old, use a driver backrest and have had a windshield for the last 12 years you'll feel like wile e coyote holding on to that thing,,, yee haaa :yikes:

• Haha
Reactions: FoFo

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Either that dude is a giant, or that's a little bike.

I would have thought their numbers would have been a bit better.
Kinda confusing, the bike hasn't been released yet so is "Custom" part of the name and therefore means "stock"? Sounds like something Polaris would do. Or is this a bike released to media for 'first ride' reviews and tests and the custom part is intake and exhaust mods? Either way that dyno looks like a standard Scout with an intake and exhaust upgrade. I'm sure Polaris marketing will claim it's faster than an SR-71.

• Haha
Reactions: FoFo

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
@iabob , too funny. Based on Polaris' track record, I'm guessing the name "custom" is there for two reasons. 1. To put a bigger price tag on it, because come on - it's custom. 2. To make you think it's "custom" so you buy it for more money.

When I first saw it, I thought Indian may help themselves out and produce a bike more in line with what the market is demanding. I even thought it would be a fun jack around bike. Now I'm starting to feel like Polaris' goo is all over this.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone seems surprised.

Wasn't the Octane officially a 1200cc motor?

Seems the FTR is just a Scout, with the Victory 1200cc and some pipes, knobby tires, different exhaust etc.

So they took an 11,500 bike, factory modded it and will likely sell it for a few thousand more?

• Angry
Reactions: Poseidon

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
@iabob , too funny. Based on Polaris' track record, I'm guessing the name "custom" is there for two reasons. 1. To put a bigger price tag on it, because come on - it's custom. 2. To make you think it's "custom" so you buy it for more money.

When I first saw it, I thought Indian may help themselves out and produce a bike more in line with what the market is demanding. I even thought it would be a fun jack around bike. Now I'm starting to feel like Polaris' goo is all over this.
I think the Octane custom that was produced by a guy in Europe as a teaser to the release of the production model is what the market really wants. What I KNOW is that those running Polaris are clueless. Yes, the market is wanting lighter cheaper fun to ride bikes that appeal to younger buyers. The problem is "American Heritage" appeals to older fatter guys who are not buying a lot of new bikes. Case in point: Harley XR1200. Big fat bagger guys all agree it was a seriously cool bike, directly derived off of its flat track racing cousin. Sound familiar? Except none of the big fat bagger guys actually bought one. The younger buyer wants something different. Indian isn't Harley so it might do a little better than the XR1200, but as hard as Indian is trying to be Harley I think most of the young market will see it as "close enough" to HD. Marching to their own beat means Honda Groms, Ducati Scramblers, Triumph Bobbers, or a resto cafe conversion of an old CBR.
Indian or Harley guy is going to go online and get excited over what a cool bike this FTR is. And then they're going to sit on one and gripe about how small it is. It's lack of storage, no wind protection, no tunes, can't go on a 200 mile poker run without a sore butt and so on.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The Victory Octane stock motor has just as much as this "New" re-badged Indian motor!!

Weird right?
WW

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I think the Octane custom that was produced by a guy in Europe as a teaser to the release of the production model is what the market really wants.
100% CORRECT
I waited to see if that bike was going into production.
When it didn't I bought a Guzzi Griso 1200.
Polaris lost again.

Reactions: iabob
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.