VOG Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Serious pulling power. How many times is the bike shifted to keep it going ?
Not sure what that means? What struck me is 120 ft-lbs off idle and over 130 ft-lbs from 2500-6500 rpm. Good Lord! My peak torque is this motor's lowest. You make a good point about drivability, sometimes the graph doesn't tell the whole story. But with 120-145 ft-lbs no matter where you are in the rpm range I would think you shift gears whenever the F you feel like it! :)

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Not sure what that means? What struck me is 120 ft-lbs off idle and over 130 ft-lbs from 2500-6500 rpm. Good Lord! My peak torque is this motor's lowest. You make a good point about drivability, sometimes the graph doesn't tell the whole story. But with 120-145 ft-lbs no matter where you are in the rpm range I would think you shift gears whenever the F you feel like it! :)
Just saying once I'm next to a bike with this power I'm usually with him until we hit the top end of the power band and usually I'm in 4 th and he's in 5th. At that time he may start pulling but we usually run out of road befor we get to a real end result. No doubt the power delivery is there and stout. Hell its arm pulling ! The difference is the HD is being shifted way sooner than the Vic.

Reactions: iabob

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Just saying once I'm next to a bike with this power I'm usually with him until we hit the top end of the power band and usually I'm in 4 th and he's in 5th. At that time he may start pulling but we usually run out of road befor we get to a real end result. No doubt the power delivery is there and stout. Hell its arm pulling ! The difference is the HD is being shifted way sooner than the Vic.
All you would be seeing is tail light... getting smaller and smaller...

150 HP would put my bike in the mid 10s...

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
@iabob -- Honestly, I would take this one over that last one you posted. The low end isn't so freakin' stout and you could actually launch it without frying the tire or flipping it over ibackward. 141/145 is already ridiculous. Even If the bike weighed 700 you'd be at 4.96 lbs/HP. That's crotch rocket territory.

Product Rectangle Slope Font Plot

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
@iabob -- Honestly, I would take this one over that last one you posted. The low end isn't so freakin' stout and you could actually launch it without frying the tire or flipping it over ibackward. 141/145 is already ridiculous. Even If the bike weighed 700 you'd be at 4.96 lbs/HP. That's crotch rocket territory.

View attachment 526703
That does look nice. At WOT for racing purposes you get all the top end but maybe a bit more rideable on the low end.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This of course is not an apples to apples comparison because the following is aftermarket vs. factory. Aftermarket will always get you more power. But I think some might find these interesting in regards to this conversation. Two big inch V-Twin pushrod motors from Fuel Moto. The first is a pretty basic big bore 117" kit installed on a Harley stock 107. HP and TQ in the 125 range. Not bad at all. Next is a 120" kit that's a bit more involved with head work, HP and TQ in the 140 range. Stout! This is why I say Harley is the new Victory. You can spend similar money upgrading a HD 107 or a Vic 106 and get similar results. I wouldn't choose pushrods, but there's a lot more to it.
View attachment 526685
View attachment 526687
Harley just patented a new head design that pushes redline to 7 grand

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
This is a dyno chart of Hanson Racing's own personal XC that has a 116 engine he built with ported heads, 11.2 compression, bigger intake valves, 50 mm throttle body, 495 cams, performance exhaust, Lloyd's air filter, and dyno-tuned Maximus fuel tuner.

·
Registered
455 Posts
MOCO PTO will admit the motor is trying to rip itself apart...= Bad. The only draw is the torque because of the single crank pin. These days at these numbers its proved to be too hot and not worth the risk of literally falling apart, sleazing or other things that would cost a fortune. No thank you. IMO the M8 is a complete failure.

7k on a Evo Sportster is almost racing redline territory on an old Buell. No fear there.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Should be interesting to see. Looks like it's going to be a whole new engine with intake and exhaust pushrods on opposite sides of the motor. What I'm going to be most curious about will be how stock performance compares. Like HC mentioned I've seen graphs of modified M8 engines making power well past 6k but in stock form, and your article kind of alluded to this, redline is 5500 because the motor is done between 4 and 5k. So...I'm wondering will this be a 7k redline stock? Or an 8k redline that peaks at 7k? Meaning once the mods start coming whatever that boundary is it's bound to be pushed out further just like we do with current Vic, Harley, and even Indian motors. Regardless having an extra 1500 or more rpm from the 'blank slate' stock motor will be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
MOCO PTO will admit the motor is trying to rip itself apart...= Bad. The only draw is the torque because of the single crank pin. These days at these numbers its proved to be too hot and not worth the risk of literally falling apart, sleazing or other things that would cost a fortune. No thank you.

7k on a Evo Sportster is almost racing redline territory on an old Buell. No fear there.
You should check out some of the Fuel Moto and George Bryce builds using stock crankshafts. You'll be surprised.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Should be interesting to see. Looks like it's going to be a whole new engine with intake and exhaust pushrods on opposite sides of the motor. What I'm going to be most curious about will be how stock performance compares. Like HC mentioned I've seen graphs of modified M8 engines making power well past 6k but in stock form, and your article kind of alluded to this, redline is 5500 because the motor is done between 4 and 5k. So...I'm wondering will this be a 7k redline stock? Or an 8k redline that peaks at 7k? Meaning once the mods start coming whatever that boundary is it's bound to be pushed out further just like we do with current Vic, Harley, and even Indian motors. Regardless having an extra 1500 or more rpm from the 'blank slate' stock motor will be a good thing.
I would think it would need some type of VVT to maintain low end torque. 120 HP should be easy to attain with the higher RPMs

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I have an old Kingpin that has all the cruiser appeal of your Hammer + bags + it will run with or even beat the FZ09 thru the 1/4 mile. It's horrible to have to live like this.

$12K to have 100 HP and keep the warranty? Great... you keep that Indian 116 package.
116 package (which is an impressive kit -- includes 60mm throttle bodies) costs $2500 and my dealer will do the whole install for a total of $3500.
I don't know who said $12,000.....

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I would think it would need some type of VVT to maintain low end torque. 120 HP should be easy to attain with the higher RPMs
In stock form I agree. But look at FM's dyno charts of their aftermarket builds, 145 ft-lbs peak, 130 ft-lbs at redline! If a motor makes 120 ft.-lbs at 7000 rpm...that's 160 horsepower. At the wheel!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.