Indian 116 Performance review | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Indian 116 Performance review

Discussion in 'Indian Chieftain' started by crosscountryla, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Cobra Rider

Cobra Rider Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 XCT, 2011 XC, 1999 Suzuki LC
    You are 100 percent correct. I'm just going apples to apples, nothing more nothing less. Plus, I kinda like stirring the pot just a little. Some take it the wrong way though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bueller

Bueller Active Member

Sport tour
    I was going to mention the Motus but then I knew it isn't the same game so I didn't.
    I said I would never consider owning another push rod motor because of its limitations and costs in a v twin config. Clearly not as efficient as a 106 or the Challenger. Seen and have better, why go back? So out of the Thunderstroke, M8 or Challenger battle I would accept the water and pick the OHV every time no matter what. The Heat reviews were a big factor both stock Chieftains and M8s are hot but the M8 is way too hot. Since the EPA isn't going to attack the M8... Polaris should sell the 106 to HD. The 106 would save HD. Its the motor they need to copy 10 years ago. imo

Have you seen the new Buell? 185 HP. $17k

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    I will just use 1 example here... The Kawasaki V-Twin.
    72 HP and 93 ft-lbs from a 1700cc, water cooled, overhead cam, 4-valve engine... while a 1130cc V-Rod made 107 HP.

Conventional wisdom around here is that an engine like the Kawi above would be a powerhouse, so what happened? How can it be that pushrod, 2 valve, air cooled v-twins will beat the pants off the Kawi?

As stated many times, how you actuate the valves is of little consequence on engines that don't spin more than 6000-6500 rpm. What defines the engine's power output, power curves, and character is bore/stroke, valve area, compression ratio, intake and exhaust flow & velocity, and rpm potential. If you plan to spin the engine to the 12,500-14,000 rpm range, pushrods are a bad idea.

You can buy a 383 cubic inch, pushrod, small-block Chevy crate motor that makes 500 HP for $6,800. Yeah, you can't make power with only 2 valves and pushrods....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    This of course is not an apples to apples comparison because the following is aftermarket vs. factory. Aftermarket will always get you more power. But I think some might find these interesting in regards to this conversation. Two big inch V-Twin pushrod motors from Fuel Moto. The first is a pretty basic big bore 117” kit installed on a Harley stock 107. HP and TQ in the 125 range. Not bad at all. Next is a 120” kit that’s a bit more involved with head work, HP and TQ in the 140 range. Stout! This is why I say Harley is the new Victory. You can spend similar money upgrading a HD 107 or a Vic 106 and get similar results. I wouldn’t choose pushrods, but there’s a lot more to it.
    A60121DD-6DDD-4783-BB11-A0C4412AAA4A.jpeg
    98AEFBC5-DACB-47CB-B92D-E28DEB12DE05.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I think the consensus is mostly about the difference between the 2 stock / factory choices that meet epa standards and deliver the torque to move the motorcycle especially weighed down. The sound a motor makes. The feeling in the saddle. A shake at the bars or smoothness at the bars.
    Victory has done such a good job delivering a well balanced motor that can be so easily massaged to deliver great performance.
    There’s a fine balance here in the MC world but we have to remember there are differences between bikes. Between cruisers and baggers. Touring bikes and sport tourers.
    Motorcycles develop a kind of spirit. Wether fast or torquey or with grunt or top speed only the owner of his bike cares if it satisfies him enough to want to ride it.
    All good. Like em all. Just want it to be reliable.
    If I buy a Harley it won’t be because I wanted to go fast. To date. No one has made the perfect bike. Imo Victory is the closest to almost perfect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    98AEFBC5-DACB-47CB-B92D-E28DEB12DE05.jpeg.jpg

And the torque peaks below 4000 rpm... 120 ft-lbs before 2600 rpm... 100 HP at 3650 rpm. STOUT!
    No blower, no nitrous, just a big naturally aspirated engine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I think this is the route I’d go if something ever happened to the Kingpin. Just get a plain Jane 107 Softail. Probably one of the Bob’s, because, well Bob. Skip all the factory stuff and drop this FM package in it. In the words of Dudley, “Saweet Ride!”

8. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    What does a package like this cost with labor ? That is stout !

9. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    1699.00 is the big bore kit, 2899.00 if FM installs it. But... there’s always a but, that does not include intake, exhaust, or tuning. It looks like the 120” kit has been replaced with a 124”. So add in those other items and you’re probably in the 4-5k ballpark. This will get you in the 125-130 hp/tq ballpark. I’m taking a wild guess that the head work that gets you to 145 is another couple grand. Emphasis on wild guess.
    Fuel Moto M8 124" Big Bore Kit for 107" Engines

10. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Ive ridden HDs with BB kits. SS motors with bigger inch numbers. Claims from 120 hp to 140 hp. Like the Indian 116 I found them to be harsh and difficult to put the power down. Lots of grunt and pulls hard but runs out of leg quickly. Thinking tranny gearing or pulley change needed.
    Then take a BB Victory. Strong and long legs. Hard to pass up that choice. Add a charger to it wow ! Really ! $$$$$ for sure lots of them. I would be happy and done at 130 hp. I know as I get older my limitations are well ......limited.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Look at the torque curve on this Mofo:
    EF75E6C2-279B-4FCE-B03B-106287ECFBF2.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Serious pulling power. How many times is the bike shifted to keep it going ?

13. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Not sure what that means? What struck me is 120 ft-lbs off idle and over 130 ft-lbs from 2500-6500 rpm. Good Lord! My peak torque is this motor’s lowest. You make a good point about drivability, sometimes the graph doesn’t tell the whole story. But with 120-145 ft-lbs no matter where you are in the rpm range I would think you shift gears whenever the F you feel like it! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Just saying once I’m next to a bike with this power I’m usually with him until we hit the top end of the power band and usually I’m in 4 th and he’s in 5th. At that time he may start pulling but we usually run out of road befor we get to a real end result. No doubt the power delivery is there and stout. Hell its arm pulling ! The difference is the HD is being shifted way sooner than the Vic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    All you would be seeing is tail light... getting smaller and smaller...

150 HP would put my bike in the mid 10s...

• Like Like x 1