Incandescent to LED turn signal conversion - flash rate (Gunner) | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Incandescent to LED turn signal conversion - flash rate (Gunner)

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by PDXLaserGazer, Feb 11, 2017.

1. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    Today, I installed the Ness LED red turn signals in the rear and amber in the front. I wired them in and tested and, as expected, they worked beautifully but flashed fast. I then installed the badlands brake/turn/run module to convert the rear turn signals. Again, tested and fast flash rate, even though the badlands module supposedly has a built in load equalizer. But, I thought of this before so I had a second load equalizer on hand. Once this was installed, the flash rate was still the same.

The badlands module is plug and play. I put the second load equalizer on the wires that go from the connector to the rear of the bike. I followed all of the instructions for both units down to the letter, checking each wire with a meter to be sure I had the correct ones. I put the four-way flashers on and held onto the load equalizer and I could feel some heat in the unit so I know it's connected properly.

So, is there something I'm missing here? 2 load equalizers should the flash rate down considerably.

The brake/turn/run module seems to be working fine and the LEDs are bright as hell and work properly, just fast turn and four-way.

Maybe changing the flash relay out would do the trick but I can't be sure where it's located. In the fuse/relay box there is a ts/horn/brake relay but I think this is just to provide power when the ignition is on and think there is an additional flash relay elsewhere.

On a final note, the license plate LED unit is nonfunctional so I need to get that replaced, but I don't think this would cause a problem, would it?

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    Pictures?

3. PDXLaserGazer

No, it was dark and I gave up. I can get some tomorrow however.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Magnum 2013 Suzuki M109R.... 2017 Kawasaki Concours
    Your turn signal relay should be in the same location as the picture in post #7 in the link below. You have an LED turn signal relay on your XC. The location of it is in post #2 of the link below. swap the XC relay over to your Gunner and see if it fixes the hyper-flash. If it does, order a second XC relay.

Turn Signal relay location

5. PDXLaserGazer

I will do this tomorrow, thanks Poseidon. But, what if it doesn't fix it?

6. Poseidon

It should fix it, but if it doesn't, we will need to see pictures of the load equalizers you installed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fox Fader

Fox Fader Active Member

17 HighBall, 07 Tuono Factory
    Did you load the front LEDs?

8. PDXLaserGazer

I did not, I put the load equalizer at the connector to the rear. I wondered if that mattered however.

9. PDXLaserGazer

Xc flash module takes care of it, now just need to buy one. Thanks for the help.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Poseidon

Cheap Cycle Parts had them for $65. I didn't shop around tho. You might be able to find one cheaper if you do.

11. Fox Fader

Fox Fader Active Member

17 HighBall, 07 Tuono Factory
    There ya go. At least there's a better fix.

12. PDXLaserGazer

Having some problems still with this setup.

Went out a few weeks ago for a few hours and didn't have any issues. This past weekend, went out and turn signals wouldn't work at all.

Installed Ness direct bolt-on LEDs - Red in the rear and amber up front.
    The XC LED flasher module is the part number for the Cross Country, Cross Roads, Boardwalk, Judge and Magnum models.

For these tests, the results were identical with engine on or off unless stated otherwise.
    OEM Flasher module + LEDs = hyper-flash
    OEM Flasher module + LEDs + Load Equalizer = hyper-flash
    OEM Flasher module + LEDs + Load Equalizer + run/brake/turn module = single flash then nothing until key off for 5 sec and brake lights operate normally
    OEM Flasher module + LEDs + run/brake/turn module = hyper-flash and brake lights operate normally

XC LED Flasher module + LEDs = Normal flash
    XC LED Flasher module + LEDs + run/brake/turn module = Normal Flash when engine off, single flash when engine on and brake lights operate normally
    XC LED Flasher module + LEDs + run/brake/turn module - speedo (to delete the single turn indicator possible current leak/feedback) = Normal flash when engine off, single flash when engine on and brake lights operate normally

When installing the load equalizer, I tried in 2 different locations just to be sure. First I placed it between the flasher module and the run/brake/turn module then between the run/brake/turn module and the rear lights. Neither location changed the results.

I've ruled out the flasher module and the speedo (current feedback or leakage being a single indicator lamp)

I'm guessing at this point I have a malfunctioning run/brake/turn module. Perhaps the load equalizer is crap too.

The good news (if you will) is that the turn signals work just fine with the XC LED flasher module but I lose out on being able to use them as brake and running lights which was the reason I changed to red in the first place instead of amber.

I contacted NAMZ since it's a badlands part and the response was that the module was intended for the stock flasher module. There was nothing in the email about LED vs. incandescent signals but in the directions it states either/or.

I'll be pulling out the Fluke next and checking all of the connections I guess. I'll probably also hit up the electronics store and pick up a couple 50W resistors and a heat-sink and make my own load equalizer. I'll be asking for some wire colors and values to check with them and see if there's a way to bypass the load equalizer outside the module. Obviously I can't return it (wouldn't have been able to anyway).

Finally, if nothing works, I'll build my own unit and if it works, market it on here!

With my background in electronics, I feel so useless and stupid at this point. It shouldn't be this hard to troubleshoot. Of course, I usually have schematics and logic diagrams to work with.

I also cooked the module (soften/melt the epoxy seal) to see if I could get at the board to maybe bypass the internal load equalizer because I really think this is the problem. Having a load equalizer + the LED flasher module may be what's causing it to switch on then off and become inoperable because the resistance is now too high (my thoughts on the matter).

I have some videos but can't upload them here because I don't facebook or youtube. Looking for other options. Meanwhile I guess I can pull single frames for pics if anybody cares.

13. Cruzie27

Cruzie27 Well-Known Member

16’ Gunner, 12’ XCT
    I'm liking the brake module,. Possibly a load equalizer. Which load equalizers are you using? Let me dig out my manual and at least get a picture or two of the wiring schematic.

14. Cruzie27

16’ Gunner, 12’ XCT
    IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2514.JPG

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Cruzie27

16’ Gunner, 12’ XCT
    IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2517.JPG

• Informative Informative x 1