VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on the bike and came to a red light. I stopped and a Chrysler 300 pulled up next to me. It was a guy who works at the same hangar I work at and lives right down the street from me. Everyone calls him 'Country'. He had his son in the passenger seat who is probably 11 or 12.

Country looks at me, smiles, and says, "Can you do a wheelie on that thing?". Now, he doesn't really know me, is not someone who rides, and has no idea that the bike is anything special. I looked at him and his son and said, "Yes! Yes I can!". When the light changed I got the bike rolling and gave the throttle a blip... a nice wheelie ensued and I let the front end down easy, then I turned into our neighborhood and went on home and forgot all about it.

A couple of days passed and Country is walking by me at work. He stops and says, "Little man spilled his drink when you did that wheelie. He's still talking about it. You made quite an impression.".

Puss says I have the mentality of a 5-year old. I fear she might be right. Around here, a wheelie is a huge fine and a bunch of points against your license. It's quite a risk to do that... I did it anyway. When I grow up I want to be a responsible adult... never mind, no I don't.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
I'm never growing up. No, I don't want to. You can't make me!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That's why I retired and moved out of California this year. I'd had enough. Today I rode to Bryce Canyon with a buddy of mine. 34 degrees with electric gear on. We laughed that us old guys get cold easily. It's the only way to keep riding and trying to feel young.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
That's why I retired and moved out of California this year. I'd had enough. Today I rode to Bryce Canyon with a buddy of mine. 34 degrees with electric gear on. We laughed that us old guys get cold easily. It's the only way to keep riding and trying to feel young.
Right on. And congratulations on making a safe escape from this Hell hole.

Reactions: Blowndodge

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the only way to keep riding and trying to feel young.
Ya know what's funny? I don't feel old in my head. I still view myself the way I did when I was 25.
However... yesterday I loaded 15,000 lbs of scaffolding into a 24' enclosed car trailer. This morning am being reminded that I'm almost 60 by aches and pains. Where did Puss put those 800 mg Ibuprofens?

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speaking of being a child, I was reminded of this last night...
I used to ride with two brothers, John and Mike, and if the road was wet I would get on the yellow line and punch it... the bike would spin the rear tire and wag the tail end back and forth up to around 80, then I would let off. The guys would give me lots of room and back way off. I asked why they did that... John said, "We want to SEE the crash, but we don't want to be IN the crash". I got the feeling they were disappointed that I didn't crash it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Your really liking it out there in your new home , I'm happy for you Brad.
I didn't think it got that cold in Utah. I don't ride in that kind of weather, cant stand all those cables for the heated gear.
Our heated gear is in the closet, never use it any more, just dress warm as possible and that is not good enough then it is just to cold to ride.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Your really liking it out there in your new home , I'm happy for you Brad.
I didn't think it got that cold in Utah. I don't ride in that kind of weather, cant stand all those cables for the heated gear.
Our heated gear is in the closet, never use it any more, just dress warm as possible and that is not good enough then it is just to cold to ride.
Tim is gets down to low 20's and upper teens in late december and january. Highs in the 40's too. It snows here but I haven't seen it yet since we moved in July 1, 2019.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The purpose of life is to live it. From everything I have ever seen or read of yours you definitely seem to have a good handle on this. From the moment my legs are rapped around my bike I become a hooligan. My bike is nothing compared to yours but hot damn its fun to go out and ride hard. I was chasing a Tesla up a mountain road a week or 2 ago. Damn those cars are fast. My dream is to get some real performance out of my bike.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Ya know what's funny? I don't feel old in my head. I still view myself the way I did when I was 25.
However... yesterday I loaded 15,000 lbs of scaffolding into a 24' enclosed car trailer. This morning am being reminded that I'm almost 60 by aches and pains. Where did Puss put those 800 mg Ibuprofens?
I never felt old either until we joined a gym here in Utah. I had to move 2 UHaul large trucks full of our stuff loading and unloading solo. It was like a bad dream. I was so messed up (sore and exhausted) I'll never do that again. I surrender that to age. I have to try to get and stay in good shape so I can ride for the next 20 years. I'd hate to have to give it up. I turned 62 two months ago and got my lifetime national parks pass. That was a good day. Remember HC, ripping tendons and joints apart never heal like they would at 25. You possibly could do something like that and could jeopardize your ability to ride. Nothing is worth that.

Reactions: Half_Crazy

·
Registered
820 Posts
I was on the bike and came to a red light. I stopped and a Chrysler 300 pulled up next to me. It was a guy who works at the same hangar I work at and lives right down the street from me. Everyone calls him 'Country'. He had his son in the passenger seat who is probably 11 or 12.

Country looks at me, smiles, and says, "Can you do a wheelie on that thing?". Now, he doesn't really know me, is not someone who rides, and has no idea that the bike is anything special. I looked at him and his son and said, "Yes! Yes I can!". When the light changed I got the bike rolling and gave the throttle a blip... a nice wheelie ensued and I let the front end down easy, then I turned into our neighborhood and went on home and forgot all about it.

A couple of days passed and Country is walking by me at work. He stops and says, "Little man spilled his drink when you did that wheelie. He's still talking about it. You made quite an impression.".

Puss says I have the mentality of a 5-year old. I fear she might be right. Around here, a wheelie is a huge fine and a bunch of points against your license. It's quite a risk to do that... I did it anyway. When I grow up I want to be a responsible adult... never mind, no I don't.
When did you make it to 5 yrs old? Lol

• Haha

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Man, get on with living or get on with dying. I see kids do wheelies on bicycles all the time like I did as a kid but never tried that on a motorcycle. Keep on rockin' @Half_Crazy !

My pop knew he was on his way out and told me of the regrets he had before he passed away. I swore I wouldn't do that and I refuse to grow up (59 years young). I won't try a wheelie on my Pin but we are looking into a hiking/rafting trip in Idaho for my 60th. I had an epic fail in CO in 2012 but I was pulled in!!! Not my fault! A guy half my size pulled me into another raft. I'd do that trip again though. I'm in the front on the left with the white helmet (not a Victory helmet LOL).

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

that's just part of or one of the differences 'tween women and men. men are the risk takers, women the nurturers. when ya look at it tho, you may have just helped a young man nurtured into becoming a man.a s in taking risks wanting to be able to ride and maybe eventually do a wheelie[ and get cussed out by his wife/female/mom] !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.