I’m Alive! | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

I’m Alive!

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Caveman72, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Caveman72

Caveman72 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Classic Cruiser
    On 8/7/2021 I had my first accident of my life. I was on my XC attempting to do my first iron butt challenge with 8 other bikes. I was the last one in the group as I tend to reside in the back to keep an eye on my group. I’m a protector of the people I ride with. I was run off the interstate into a construction zone. All the rest of the bikes made it with 1 other bike getting damage but stayed on twos. So at 70 mph I went down. Had a concussion on the forehead even with wearing a half helmet. Road rash on my knees and elbows, 6 broken ribs on my left side and a cracked vertebrae. Was life flighted to the hospital and found I had a partially collapsed lung also from the number 3 rib pinching my lung in the break. Luckily I did not have any surgeries. The lung healed itself. Missed 6 weeks of work. I’m back to work this week but still can’t do a full day. I was so lucky that I had 3 emt’s riding with me and a fourth in training. Also the ambulance was stopping at the scene as they got the call. I’m just happy to be alive. My wife wants to kill me cause I’ve been looking for my next Victory. Riding a motorcycle is in my blood. Surprisingly my XC still rides straight. Every painted surface is scratched. The fairing is broken and off center some but the bike is not destroyed. I bought it back from the insurance and still haven’t decided what to do with it yet. I don’t wanna put a ton of money into rebuilding it with a salvage title. Anyway everyone I talk to can’t believe I’m alive. I also found out who my true friends were and who wasn’t. I just wanted to tell my story and remind everyone to enjoy the life you have. You never know when it might come to an abrupt end. I’m lucky I get to continue my story. Now on to the next chapter. Keep the rubber side down!!

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

'13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    It always sucks to hear that someone went down. Sounds like the whole group got run off the road. Any chance if a dashcam or helmet cam caught the perp?

Coming from someone who's been in more accidents than my current credit score and 3 of them being hit while on a motorcycle, it's always good to remember to be vigilant and expect everyone is out to kill you.

I, for one, am glad to hear you've come out of it alive and ready to move on and ride even though I don't know you from Adam (unless you are Adam). I'm happy to hear nobody was critically injured, became vegetative or is no longer with us.

Let this be a learning experience and live life like there's no tomorrow because the aliens are coming.

If the only real damage on the bike is cosmetic, learn to plastic weld and line-x the rest, it'll look cool. I'm sure there are a bunch of random parts many of us have that we wouldn't mind handing off to a brother in need. I've got some random stuff lying around, not body parts but other stuff like OEM mirrors, brake and shift pegs, headlight, etc. I even have a fairing that's got a massive crack I need to try to fix, we can learn to plastic weld together.

Good luck in the remainder of your (and your bike's) recovery and the search for another.

I assume you didn't complete the IBA run. I've not done one yet but may do it one day, also may want to do it in a small group. Hopefully you'll get another shot at it.

Shiny side up!

• Like Like x 2
  3. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    The cop in me needs more info. What exactly happened in y'all being run off the road? Some cager not paying attention?

Sounds like that helmet saved you too. Good thing you were wearing it.

Like insurance you hope you never need it but if you do you're sure glad you have it.....ON! Not sitting at home on the shelf.

Glad to hear you came away from it mostly together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. burbansk

burbansk Active Member

2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2000 BMW 1150 GS, 2008 Honda TRX 700 XX
    Thank GOD you are ok. You can always replace your bike. If you don't mind please tell us more about the accident so that maybe we can all learn from it.

5. princepack

princepack New Member

Victory Vision Tour
    Well, Caveman72, I'm glad you are on the mend. Praying for a full and total recovery for you and your ride, whether you fix 'er up, or buy a new one. Rubber side down y'all!

6. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Welcome to TheVog.net @Caveman72. That’s a particularly unique first post. Prayers inbound for your full restoration. And yes, more details and even pictures if you have them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Glad your with us and welcome to the Vog.

8. don07tncav

don07tncav Active Member

Two 2009 Victory Visions and 1975 RE5 Suzuki
    Glad you're still kicking and healing. Best of luck getting the bike back together.

9. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Just thinking not that I’m a face book kinda guy but have noticed many take off parts for sale in the Victory buy/sell section. If you need them I have gloss black saddle bag lids up for sale.

10. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Glad you are still sucking air, literally and get the "get back on the horse" mentality. If you wanted an outside opinion, looks like you have spare parts to go with the next Victory XC. Good luck with same color.

Just not sure they will get used as they collect dust as the occasional rider will be seeking some...

11. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    8 ribs and a punctured lung. I know your pain. As soon as I was able, back in the saddle, much to the chagrin of my bride.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jddirtbiker

jddirtbiker Member

2002 v92 touring classic deluxe
    I've been there too. Motorcycle vs furniture moving truck; the truck won that contest. However.... My thought was, if you were in a car accident you don't quit driving or riding in cars do you? So I was back on two wheels as soon as I was able (ok, so maybe it was the next riding season). The point is, don't give up your passion, just ride with a heightened sense of awareness and vigilance. God has you covered until you've done what you were meant to do on this earth.
    Best wishes for a quick & complete recovery!

• Like Like x 2
  13. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Parts are around online. Fairing is the most expensive plastic on the bike. Crazy expensive to ship too.

At 70 MPH you likely have a lot of damage you can't see until it's all torn down. Any damage to the cast frame I'd be done with it. Might be better off parting out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Turning it into one hellava naked bobber’s till all the new pretty parts arrive always an option

• Like Like x 2
  15. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    That or picking up cross roads speedometer and throwing windshield on in place of fairing.

• Like Like x 1